Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

SLP Fall 2014

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#41 ladyinwaiting23

ladyinwaiting23

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Application Season:2014 Fall
  • Program:Speech Language Pathology

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm a out-of-field undergraduate Psych major and I'm applying to SLP Programs for the Fall of 2014.  I'm taking online leveling courses at Utah State while I work full-time as a research assistant but I'm dying to start real grad school.  I just took my GREs so thats one step out of the way :rolleyes:

I think I have my list of schools picked out that I want to apply to but I keep changing my mind.  For me, the real issue is that I would like to go somewhere out of state (or out of New England) but I'm not sure where my best shot at scholorships will be.  I know that SLP programs competitive just to get acceptance letters, never mind financial support but it's something to shoot for anyway, lol.  Has anyone heard of programs that offer decent scholarships?  Or a chance at fellowships/graduate assistant tuition remission?

Applying to:  Northeastern, BU, Emerson, MGH, Worcester State, URI, San Diego State, UCF, Vanderbilt

Key: Accepted, Rejected

Decision:  Vanderbilt!!! :D

#42 rks2010

rks2010

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Application Season:2013 Fall
  • Program:Speech pathology

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

Hi everyone! Excited to be apart of this thread and "meet" some folks in the same boat.
My stats are as follows
Gpa: 3.93 overall 4,0 in the major
Gre: 150v 148q 4.5aw the first time. 154v 145q 4aw the second time.
Worked as a special needs counselor for a summer. Volunteered in a few day cares and elementary schools (inner city). Sorority alumni. Nsslha member. Msha member. Work as a physical therapy technician. Volunteered at a camp for kids who stutter. Honors college. Maybe some others I can't think of righ now haha. I know my gre scores, especially my math, aren't great. So I really hope I won't get rejected because of that. Everyone's stats look amazing. Looks like it'll be a competitive pool. I'm applying mostly to schools in the Midwest. Good luck everyone!

#43 caterpillar

caterpillar

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationAR
  • Application Season:Already Attending

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Hi folks - I was around here last year on behalf of my husband, the actual grad school applicant. He applied three places (UW-Seattle, CSU East Bay, and SDSU) and didn't get in anywhere. This year we're replacing a LOR writer (who suggested finding a different person after receiving my husband's email about not getting in ...  <_<) and hoping applying to a broader range of  places works better. 

As far as stats go - several years of experience as a paraeducator in special education, currently employed as such. Post-bacc/2nd BA graduate from Portland State with a 4.0 post-bacc GPA and 3.3 1st BA GPA in Psych. 160V, 153Q, 3.0AW (ouch).

Here's hoping!

Lurking the SLP boards for my husband, the current grad school applicant student!

Fall 2014
[Overall GPA: 3.41 - CSD: 4.0 - GRE: 160V/153Q/3.0AW]

Applied: Portland State, San Jose State, University of Central Arkansas, Fort Hays State, University of Southern Mississippi
Accepted: Fort Hays State (declined), University of Central Arkansas (with assistantship)
Waitlisted: Portland State
Rejected: University of Southern Mississippi, San Jose State, Portland State

Interviewed: Fort Hays State

Decision: University of Central Arkansas  B)

#44 NCAR823

NCAR823

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Program:MGH IHP

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hey Caterpillar!

I recall reading your posts last spring. Are you located in the Northwest? U of O offers the program, PSU as well and they're both ranked around top 50. Does your husband have any research experience? I believe this could also help increase his admissions chances. I would also suggest really working on the SOP. In my opinion, how a person explains their experiences, goals, and sells themselves can make a difference between rejection and waitlisted status.

Master's: MGH Institute (Expected 2016)

Bachelor's: University of Vermont: English (with Honors), Psychology

Post-Baccalaureate: Portland State University

Experience: started and run a Language & Literacy Intervention program, Research assessor Language Literacy and Reading Research Consortium, Research Assistant ADHD research lab, Research Assistant Autism research lab (2 projects)

Certifications: Montessori Lead Teacher Credential, Dangerous Decibel Certified Instructor

Additional: teaching experience, volunteer experience (in SLP and other health related clinics), trilingual (Spanish, Portuguese).

Attending: MGH Institute :D  :D

We dream, remember, anticipate, hope, despair, love, hate, believe, doubt, plan, construct, gossip, and learn in narrative.”

-Carol Westby, PhD, CCC-SLP

#45 caterpillar

caterpillar

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationAR

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hey Caterpillar!

I recall reading your posts last spring. Are you located in the Northwest? U of O offers the program, PSU as well and they're both ranked around top 50. Does your husband have any research experience? I believe this could also help increase his admissions chances. I would also suggest really working on the SOP. In my opinion, how a person explains their experiences, goals, and sells themselves can make a difference between rejection and waitlisted status.

Hi! We actually ended up moving back to CA (we're both originally from here) from Portland and are now in the Bay Area. But PSU is his #1 choice or at least getting back to the PNW in general, so I'm sure U of O will make it on the list. He doesn't have any research experience, nor any reasonable way of getting any, unfortunately. :( He's going to go over the SOP again but last year all the feedback he got from his professors and peers was that it was a strong SOP... so not sure how much work is needed there. It's hard to say if having a lackluster LOR writer was the most damning thing or if there was more he needs to look over as he gets ready for this application season.

Lurking the SLP boards for my husband, the current grad school applicant student!

Fall 2014
[Overall GPA: 3.41 - CSD: 4.0 - GRE: 160V/153Q/3.0AW]

Applied: Portland State, San Jose State, University of Central Arkansas, Fort Hays State, University of Southern Mississippi
Accepted: Fort Hays State (declined), University of Central Arkansas (with assistantship)
Waitlisted: Portland State
Rejected: University of Southern Mississippi, San Jose State, Portland State

Interviewed: Fort Hays State

Decision: University of Central Arkansas  B)

#46 sayjo

sayjo

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

I noticed that CSDCAS just opened for our admission cycle!  Has anyone else started filling out their application yet?

Undergrad GPA: 3.91 | V: 161 | Q: 153 | AW: 4.0 + M.S.Ed. from Northwestern University

Accepted: University of Illinois, Purdue, SIUC, SIUE, Northwestern, St. Xavier, Elmhurst

Wait list: 

Rejected: Vanderbilt, Governors State

#47 yumangous

yumangous

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Program:Speech-Language Pathology

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Sending in my first application on Monday! Exciting!!! Good luck to all of us! :)

Applying: University of Northern Iowa, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Utah State University, Macquarie University (Australia), Flinders University (Australia)

Accepted: Macquarie University (Australia), Flinders University (Australia)

Rejected:

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Mark 11:24

#48 flnjslp

flnjslp

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

Sending in my first application on Monday! Exciting!!! Good luck to all of us! :)

Good luck!! :)

I'm worried about how to get LORs. I'm going to ask my research mentor for one but I can't figure out who to ask for the other one. My teachers tend to know that I do well in the course but I don't really visit them or anything. I'm a little shy with teachers :/ Is it okay to ask a teacher just because you did really well in their course? For reference, I had this teacher for two courses (Phonetics & Speech Science) and earned A+s in both.

Cumulative GPA: 3.98 / CSD Major GPA: 4.0 / GRE: 161 V, 155 Q, 4.0 AW

CSD Major / Minor in Sociology / Certificate in Undergraduate Research / Research Assistant August 2012-May 2014 / Senior Honors Thesis / Member of the Honors College / Related work & volunteer experience

Special interests: literacy, spelling, autism, developmental disabilities, & selective mutism

Applied to: William Paterson University, Montclair State University, East Stroudsburg University, & Seton Hall University

Accepted: William Paterson University, Montclair State University, East Stroudsburg University, & Seton Hall University

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

Decision: East Stroudsburg University!! (w/GA!)

#49 PorqueMoi

PorqueMoi

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR
  • Application Season:2015 Fall

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:02 AM

I'm another PSU post-bacc starting in a week and a half! I really want to get good grades, so I'm spreading it out over a year and a half instead of trying to cram it into one year. Since I do have to work part-time, I'm taking the minimum course load to be considered full-time so I can really focus on getting those As. My undergrad GPA was around a 3.2 (I graduated in May 2011), so not amazing, but could be worse. I became interested in speech-pathology because I realized that my undergrad degree wouldn't give me the opportunity to work directly with people and as I've grown up, I discovered that is where my passion and talent lies. Growing up, I struggled with a speech disorder, albeit a comparatively mild one, which really fueled my desire to enter this field. 

I've worked with adults who have developmental disabilities for a little over two years now and the experience I've gotten has been invaluable, but I'm not sure how that experience will translate in a grad school application. I'm looking for clinics to volunteer at as well and I know a few SLPs as well for job shadowing opportunities. I'm excited/nervous about the whole process, but I'm following this thread for tips even though I won't be applying until fall 2015. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.2 Post-Bacc GPA: 4.0 GRE: 161V, 150Q, 4.5AW Experience: 2+ years supporting individuals with developmental disabilities, volunteer research assistant in a neurolinguistics lab, special education classroom assistant, former speech therapy client! Languages: English, French 

Applying ToPortland State University, University of Oregon, MGH, University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill, University of Vermont, University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, Louisiana State University Health Center, Eastern Washington University 

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

#50 lorenzojojo

lorenzojojo

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Program:Speech-Languge Pathology

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Hi everyone! I'm an out-of-field applicant looking at 3 year programs. Here are some of my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.73

Psychology BA

M.Ed GPA: 4.0

GRE: V-167, Q-159, W-4.5

I've been teaching elementary school for the past seven years and am wanting to change careers because of my passion for everything speech/language and my experiences with specific students who have needed support in speech/language. I've been wanting to specialize for years now but didn't think I would be able to go back to school until very recently. I've been trying to boost my SLP experience this past year while working full-time.

Here are some things I've done:

Volunteer at a bike camp for kids with disabilities, volunteer for a theater camp for teens/young adults with disabilities, volunteer at a speech-language clinic, shadowing experience with an SLP (soon I hope), observed an audiologist, currently taking a hearing disorders class in the evenings

I'm worried most about how little SLP experience I have so far. I also hope I can get recommendations from someone in the field, as right now I have recommenders lined up from my M.Ed and my work. I'm also working like crazy on my SOP to show my relevant experience as a teacher and why I'm so interested in and qualified for this field.

I'm also still deciding on my final list of schools to apply to. Right now my first choice is University of Minnesota, Twin Cities :) Anyone else applying there?

Good luck to everyone! 

Undergrad GPA: 3.75,  M.Ed GPA: 4.0,  GRE: 167 V, 159 Q, 4.5 W

Career changer (7 years teaching elementary school)

Volunteer experience at Speech-language clinic and with children with special needs

Applied to: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (3 year program, Multicultural/Bilingual Emphasis)

#51 karaewells

karaewells

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSpringfield Missouri

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I am currently a Senior at Missouri State University!! 

I am willing to go anywhere. 

I have a 3.5 GPA and I am making myself sick thinking that I will never get into grad school!! Suggestions!?

#52 smartypants14

smartypants14

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Application Season:2014 Spring
  • Program:Speech Pathology

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Karaewells- i think you have a good GPA, i would try to do my best on the GRE and if you dont have any,, get some experience!

Undergraduate: Psychology-3.47 (ABA-3.63), Communicative Disorders- Speech Language Pathology- 3.36- Last 60: 3.45

Experience: Behavior Instructor (Promotion), Research, Bilingual.BCaBA, CPR, Psi Chi (Volunteer exp), NSSLHA (volunteer exp.), Shadowing experience.

Applying ^_^ : Spring/Summer 2015 (2nd time applying)

Rejected :( :

Waitlisted :blink: :

Accepted :wub: : University of Central Florida, Spring 2015

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail."

#53 yumangous

yumangous

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Just submitted my second application!!! :D Have you guys submitted your applications yet?

Applying: University of Northern Iowa, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Utah State University, Macquarie University (Australia), Flinders University (Australia)

Accepted: Macquarie University (Australia), Flinders University (Australia)

Rejected:

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Mark 11:24

#54 ehemingway

ehemingway

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNY
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm waiting until December, when my Fall 2013 semester grades are officially on transcript to send applications in. I'd like to maximize my GPA (plus I'm taking 16 credits of JUST CDS classes this semester, so a 4.0 would look good). Anyone know if they look down upon anyone who applies a month/few weeks before deadline?

#55 smartypants14

smartypants14

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Program:Speech Pathology

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

I'm waiting until December, when my Fall 2013 semester grades are officially on transcript to send applications in. I'd like to maximize my GPA (plus I'm taking 16 credits of JUST CDS classes this semester, so a 4.0 would look good). Anyone know if they look down upon anyone who applies a month/few weeks before deadline?

I hope not! because that is my plan too!

Undergraduate: Psychology-3.47 (ABA-3.63), Communicative Disorders- Speech Language Pathology- 3.36- Last 60: 3.45

Experience: Behavior Instructor (Promotion), Research, Bilingual.BCaBA, CPR, Psi Chi (Volunteer exp), NSSLHA (volunteer exp.), Shadowing experience.

Applying ^_^ : Spring/Summer 2015 (2nd time applying)

Rejected :( :

Waitlisted :blink: :

Accepted :wub: : University of Central Florida, Spring 2015

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail."

#56 Sophia Petrillo

Sophia Petrillo

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWest Chester University
  • Program:Communicative Disorders

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

I hope not! because that is my plan too!

Me three, lol!!

#57 greeneryforests

greeneryforests

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi everyone! My name is Chrissy and I am a senior at the University of Florida majoring in Linguistics and Communication Sciences and Disorders. I have a 3.81 overall GPA, 3.91 upper-division GPA, and 3.93 major (CSD) GPA. I am super excited to find out where I get in. My GRE results weren't great, but they are in the range for the places I am applying. Verbal: 155 (66th %), Quantitative: 155 (61st %), Analytical Writing: 5.5 (97th %).

Experiences: Volunteering/observing in basically every speech and audiology clinic in Gainesville for 4 years.

Senior honors thesis

Working in 2 research labs

Work experience being a personal assistant for a blind woman and an autistic woman

Research scholarship

Disability award

I am applying to: Vanderbilt, U Wisconsin-Madison, UNC Chapel Hill, U Pittsburgh, Penn State, San Diego State, Florida State, U Maryland,and  Boston U. I actually already sent in my applications! I will update transcipts and send in supplemental forms once fall grades come in. FSU is my "safety" I guess, but  I do not really have any sure-fire safeties. My reasoning is that I have worked my butt off as an undergraduate and that I do not want to settle.

I see all you guys here and I feel really intimidated. But you gotta keep in mind that if people are anal enough to seek out an SLP application forum, they are prolly the more stiff of the competition.

#58 NCAR823

NCAR823

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Program:MGH IHP

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

For those stressing about Admissions Stats:

http://www.washingto...b3a8_story.html

Hope this link works and provides a bit of consolation to those who have chewed their nails to the bone and pulled the hair out of their eyebrows, haha.

Also, I met with an admissions counselor last week who explained the process during "application season." Leadership skills, sound experiences, letters of recommendation, and personal statements can out weigh a low GPA and low GRE, though GPA and GRE can make up about 50% of the application. Hope everyone is having a BLAST filling out CSDCAS :)

Master's: MGH Institute (Expected 2016)

Bachelor's: University of Vermont: English (with Honors), Psychology

Post-Baccalaureate: Portland State University

Experience: started and run a Language & Literacy Intervention program, Research assessor Language Literacy and Reading Research Consortium, Research Assistant ADHD research lab, Research Assistant Autism research lab (2 projects)

Certifications: Montessori Lead Teacher Credential, Dangerous Decibel Certified Instructor

Additional: teaching experience, volunteer experience (in SLP and other health related clinics), trilingual (Spanish, Portuguese).

Attending: MGH Institute :D  :D

We dream, remember, anticipate, hope, despair, love, hate, believe, doubt, plan, construct, gossip, and learn in narrative.”

-Carol Westby, PhD, CCC-SLP

#59 greeneryforests

greeneryforests

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

For those stressing about Admissions Stats:

http://www.washingto...b3a8_story.html

Hope this link works and provides a bit of consolation to those who have chewed their nails to the bone and pulled the hair out of their eyebrows, haha.

Also, I met with an admissions counselor last week who explained the process during "application season." Leadership skills, sound experiences, letters of recommendation, and personal statements can out weigh a low GPA and low GRE, though GPA and GRE can make up about 50% of the application. Hope everyone is having a BLAST filling out CSDCAS :)

LOLZ fun with CSDCAS.

#60 flnjslp

flnjslp

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

I have to fill out the CSDCAS but only one of my schools uses it! All the others have their own applications. Ugh such a waste of time!

Cumulative GPA: 3.98 / CSD Major GPA: 4.0 / GRE: 161 V, 155 Q, 4.0 AW

CSD Major / Minor in Sociology / Certificate in Undergraduate Research / Research Assistant August 2012-May 2014 / Senior Honors Thesis / Member of the Honors College / Related work & volunteer experience

Special interests: literacy, spelling, autism, developmental disabilities, & selective mutism

Applied to: William Paterson University, Montclair State University, East Stroudsburg University, & Seton Hall University

Accepted: William Paterson University, Montclair State University, East Stroudsburg University, & Seton Hall University

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

Decision: East Stroudsburg University!! (w/GA!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users