To get 158-160 on Q - about how many questions can we get wrong?

C_Chattra

The test is section-adaptive not question-adaptive, so the difficulty level of each section will be determined by how well you performed on the previous section.

Edited by Arezoo

You need to get most of the answers correct the first time you take the "real" quant test (you will either have two quants and three verbals, or two verbals and three quants.  Only two of each count and the third is an experimental section that does not count towards or against your final score.  The experimental section can be first, second, or last). In order to score high on the GRE, you have to move into the "hard" second test questions.  

Basically, the first time in a section (quant or ver.) test contains the easiest questions you will see on the GRE.  How well you do this first time through will determine whether your second pass is hard, medium, or another easy section.  I am not sure how many you need to get right in order to move into the hard section, but I'm guessing it is something like 18, maybe 17 out of the 20. By simply getting to the hard section you are guaranteed a high score even if you bomb the second, hard, section.  In all of my practice tests, I have yet to score less than 160 in quant no matter how bad I do in the second passing. 

As for the test being adaptive.  As mention above, by myself and another poster, the sections are adaptive, not the questions.  Kind of makes sense seeing as how you can skip forward through the questions, no?

Edited by Crucial BBQ

Basically, the first time in a section (quant or ver.) test contains the easiest questions you will see on the GRE.  How well you do this first time through will determine whether your second pass is hard, medium, or another easy section.  I am not sure how many you need to get right in order to move into the hard section, but I'm guessing it is something like 18, maybe 17 out of the 20. By simply getting to the hard section you are guaranteed a high score even if you bomb the second, hard, section.  In all of my practice tests, I have yet to score less than 160 in quant no matter how bad I do in the second passing. 

This is reassuring to hear! I'd been kind of curious about how adaptive sections would affect scores if the second section gets harder. Just to confirm - this is applicable for the verbal section as well, yes?