French MA and/or PhD applicants 2014!

rosestark

Anyone out there heard from NYU yet?  Anyone applied there?

I didn't apply there but I think they usually communicate their decisions by mid-Feb. Has anyone heard from Yale or know someone who has?

Okay, who heard back from Cornell?  Based on the results page someone heard from them!  They were my other top choice.  I'm getting antsy!  If it's a rejection, I wish they'd just tell me sooner rather than later; I don't do well getting strung along.

Hi thread – 

I was accepted to Cornell's Romance Studies PdD in French today. No idea how many they are taking or the like – no info of that kind in the email. Can anyone tell me a bit about Romance Studies at Cornell? I am super excited to have been accepted, but I originally applied in Comparative Literature, and so all my research time for the application process was spent in that department! (Seems to be a good bit of overlap?). 

Anyway good luck to everyone, and thanks for any info you might have on Cornell!

Hi thread – 

I was accepted to Cornell's Romance Studies PdD in French today. No idea how many they are taking or the like – no info of that kind in the email. Can anyone tell me a bit about Romance Studies at Cornell? I am super excited to have been accepted, but I originally applied in Comparative Literature, and so all my research time for the application process was spent in that department! (Seems to be a good bit of overlap?). 

Anyway good luck to everyone, and thanks for any info you might have on Cornell!

Hi TDazzle!

First of all, congrats! Félicitations ! :) That's a great news!

It is indeed surprising that your application has been transferred to the Department of Romance Studies. I saw two acceptances of this kind on the results page. You must be one of them, I guess.

I applied for the Romance Studies Dept. (French studies). I have not heard back from them. I hope it is not a bad sign. Although, I did not see other results posted. 

According to some statistics online, they accept approximately 16 applicants (an average of 4 per language). 

Salut !

:)

Usually if you don't hear from a department (as in no interview, no email) by the end of February, it's most likely a rejection. I got rejected from Yale two years ago—didn't hear anything until March 15th or so. Of course, there are always exceptions.

So I was accepted to IU today (yay!), but funding is TBA.  Anyone have any insight to the likelihood of eventually being offered funding?

Congratulations! I got accepted to IU aswell. Here is to hoping that we both get decent funding.

Are you leaning more towards going to Davis or IU? And I did not even know that Davis had a PhD in French ling until I joined grad cafe.

Congratulations! I got accepted to IU aswell. Here is to hoping that we both get decent funding.

Are you leaning more towards going to Davis or IU? And I did not even know that Davis had a PhD in French ling until I joined grad cafe.

Congratulations to you too!  I think I'll be happy at either school.  The people at UC Davis have been crazy friendly.  Where I end up is going to depend totally on funding and estimated timelines.  UC Davis is confident (assuming all things go normally) that I can get a PhD in four years, while I haven't even gotten to that point in the discussion with IU because there's no funding yet!

New to gradcafe, but in case anyone is interested, I figured I'd throw out whatever info I have!

I applied to UVA (PhD), UPenn (PhD), UMD (MA), and Boston University (PhD).  

I had a phone interview with Boston on Feb. 12th, which lasted 7 minutes and consisted of like two questions.  All in French, conducted by Drs. Kleiman and Cazenave.  I had no idea what to think afterwards, because it didn't really seem especially good or especially bad.  Anyway, they said they would be in touch very soon.  I sent them thank-you emails later that night, and Dr. Cazenave responded and said "Merci à vous d'avoir dégagé un peu de temps pour nous parler. Nous sommes dans la dernière phase des délibérations et ma collègue , le Professeur Kleiman, sera ensuite en contact avec les étudiants pour ce qui est des recommandations d'admission."  So I figured I would be hearing very soon, but that was 5 days ago, AND I saw on the results page on here that someone got an email acceptance on the 17th.  So this makes me worried, given that I've heard nothing.  Has anybody applied to Boston/can share their experiences?

UVA I got invited to a graduate open house event in the end of February, but I'm currently abroad and won't be able to come, so I emailed the head of the department to see if I could talk to him over skype about some of the questions I have regarding UVA French.  He said sure, and we talked for about 45 minutes, also on the 12th.  It was a very good conversation, and he said that in the beginning of March, the admissions committee would get together and start to get some decisions sent out.  So I expect I'll hear from them in the next couple of weeks.

UPenn and UMD I have heard nothing.  Has anyone else heard anything from these schools?

So glad I happened upon this forum!  It's not necessarily allaying my fears, but is at least keeping me occupied!

New to gradcafe, but in case anyone is interested, I figured I'd throw out whatever info I have!

UPenn and UMD I have heard nothing.  Has anyone else heard anything from these schools?

Hello there!  I applied to Upenn, too, and e-mailed them inquiring about the status of my application on Jan 29 as I thought they would have already started their deliberations by then, knowing their deadline was Dec 23.  Here's the response I received: "The faculty was impressed with your dossier, but you have not at present been selected for a campus visit. Your name, however, remains in consideration for the wait list. I am sorry that I cannot give you more information at this time."

I didn't think I was a great fit anyway.  I had written to the professor I'm interested in working with (--she never responded) 5 days before sending the e-mail mentioned above to the graduate coordinator.  She responded promptly. 

I hope that's of any help.  Worrying about fewer institutions/decisions has been comforting for me, au moins.  

Hello there!  I applied to Upenn, too, and e-mailed them inquiring about the status of my application 

Grr,  well I emailed them right after I saw you posted this on the 19th, and still haven't even heard back!  It would be nice if I could get any sort of response, even if it's negative.  UPenn isn't my FIRST choice, but it would at least be nice to have a definitive "no."  

Still no news from Boston, which is concerning/just really annoying given that they said they'd be in touch "very soon" almost two weeks ago.  If they told me that they would be in touch soon on the 12th, I sent them thank-you emails and whatnot right afterward, am I (or at what point am I) allowed to email them to be like "heyyy, what's goin on over there?"  I don't want to be pestery, but two weeks doesn't seem like "very soon" to me.  Thoughts, anyone?

Anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt?

I'm not exactly holding my breath but.... it would be great to know when I can expect some kind of decision.

Thinking about emailing but thought I'd see if anyone else had before I begin to "pester" :)