Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Haha, yes, something like this, "Ok, on the 10th I'll get GRE scores back, on the 17th, I'll hear back on a job, and then it's only two weeks"...or something like that. 

I don't know if I'll be more bummed about not getting to the finalist stage or amazed someone actually though I might be worth sending overseas...

Tough situation. I made it to the finalist stage last year and wasn't selected. I was so bummed about it that I reapplied, mostly because I still really wanted to do it, but also partly because I internalized the rejection so much. It was only recently that I realized how much of an honor it was simply to make it through the first round, let alone even to be an Alternate at the end of it all. Good luck -- chin up!

I made it to the finalist round and was not accepted or an alternate. Initially, I was unhappy with the other opportunities I ended up getting, but now I could not imagine my life any differently. I will be reapplying, but for a completely different grant. Good luck everyone!

Tough situation. I made it to the finalist stage last year and wasn't selected. I was so bummed about it that I reapplied, mostly because I still really wanted to do it, but also partly because I internalized the rejection so much. It was only recently that I realized how much of an honor it was simply to make it through the first round, let alone even to be an Alternate at the end of it all. Good luck -- chin up!

Thanks for the positive vibes! People have told me it's an achievement to have even applied, but as with most things in life, validation from other people is nice to have. There's a very good chance that I will take another crack at it next year if it doesn't pan out this time. Things tend to work out pretty nicely somehow with a proper mindset and putting in the effort. Good luck to you as well!

For me, I'd rather they put it in the subject line. If I were to dig for it, I'd have already died before I got to the magical word/words.

I agree!  I feel like if it says "Your Fulbright Application," as the subject, I will automatically assume it's bad news.  I just happen to think that with things like this, if it doesn't say "Congratulations" in the subject, then it was a rejection.  Even if it's not! :P

Haha, yes, something like this, "Ok, on the 10th I'll get GRE scores back, on the 17th, I'll hear back on a job, and then it's only two weeks"...or something like that. 

I don't know if I'll be more bummed about not getting to the finalist stage or amazed someone actually though I might be worth sending overseas...

Oh man, I've had a few self-doubt moments, but my Fulbright advisor was so reassuring! I'm praying it's not in vain.

Hi, Gang,

New to the forum and to Fulbright. In your experience, do all YES you've been recommended, and NO such luck notifications go out at the same time? I applied for a study grant/graduate degree enrollment. 

Thanks!

T

Hi, Gang,

New to the forum and to Fulbright. In your experience, do all YES you've been recommended, and NO such luck notifications go out at the same time? I applied for a study grant/graduate degree enrollment. 

Thanks!

T

As best I can tell, all recommendations for each program come out at the same time. It appears for ETA applicants this will be on the 30th, and there is no indication that it is otherwise for study grants, but it may well be. See here for the timeline

I made it to the finalist round and was not accepted or an alternate. Initially, I was unhappy with the other opportunities I ended up getting, but now I could not imagine my life any differently. I will be reapplying, but for a completely different grant. Good luck everyone!

I am right there with you. And ultimately re-applying only made my current proposal that much stronger. Good luck this round ! 

I know it's different for every country, but for those who have previously applied for scholar research grants, when did you hear back?

The best advice I have is to check last year's spreadsheet and look at the notification dates. If you search for Fulbright 2014-2015, you might be able to find a post in there that has a link to the document. Otherwise, there might be previous years' information in the current spreadsheet.

Hello, I just got back from teaching English in Nicaragua and the entire experience has made me even more anxious to hear back. Did anyone else apply for an ETA to Macau? 

Does anyone else find/read blogs of past Fulbrighters?  Or am I the only one who reads them longingly and hopes it will be my turn to write one soon!  :P

NOPE! Not alone AT ALL... I've even contacted current Fulbrighters in my country of choice just to talk to them about their experience... Vicariously living through them ahaha.

I even watch youtube videos to get geographically acquainted and try to pick up on some of the language.

Edited by minimouse

Does anyone else find/read blogs of past Fulbrighters?  Or am I the only one who reads them longingly and hopes it will be my turn to write one soon!  :P

Haha nope! I read a few blogs that I found from the 2014 Fulbright post here, and also regularly track the Fulbright tag on tumblr. 

How hard is the passport process?

I have to pick up my passport photos, I've filled out the paperwork, just have to print it... And then documentation? You just need the front and back scanned on one side of the paper, with each document, correct? I know I have to go in person my first time.

None of my friends remember exactly everything they did... And I've never traveled. Family hasn't really traveled and don't know I applied for Fulbright yet. I plan to work on getting my passport if I get into the finalist round.

How hard is the passport process?

I have to pick up my passport photos, I've filled out the paperwork, just have to print it... And then documentation? You just need the front and back scanned on one side of the paper, with each document, correct? I know I have to go in person my first time.

None of my friends remember exactly everything they did... And I've never traveled. Family hasn't really traveled and don't know I applied for Fulbright yet. I plan to work on getting my passport if I get into the finalist round.

I don't remember it much (since I got mine 6 years ago), but I don't think it was too hard.  My town's library has a passport center, though, and they are very helpful!  I think post offices can help you out, too.

Yes!! I do this often.  I am trying to find anything constructive to do to pass the time when I'm feeling most anxious.

Also, sorry if this was asked already, but does anyone who applied last year remember when the statistics were updated on the Fulbright website for the number of applicants to each country?

I think last year it was not done until after our cycle ended. Also, keep in mind grant numbers change. Last year, there were two grants available for my program, but when it was updated, it changed to only one. So the stats for last year may not be accurate for this year.

I think last year it was not done until after our cycle ended. Also, keep in mind grant numbers change. Last year, there were two grants available for my program, but when it was updated, it changed to only one. So the stats for last year may not be accurate for this year.

Ugh.  I hope the grant numbers don't change! ...unless it's in our favor, of course.

Horb, your post suggests that there's no fixed amount of money for the fulbright program (my understanding was each country has a different funding structure depending on the priorities of the host country) and that the numbers can change depending on an increase or decrease of funds. Is that a fair deduction from your post?

Heyyy everybody!

Hope everyone is doing well and succeeding in thinking about things other than the fact we'll be hearing some decisions soon. 

Anyway, I was wondering. does the program give one time to travel outside of their country? I've applied to Vietnam and would be so psyched to be back there but I'd also love to see a couple of other countries, even if only on long weekends or something! I've always wanted to visit Thailand and Cambodia! 

So, I'm wondering if anybody knows someone who has completed a Fulbright or is currently in the process and could shed some light on this. Maybe some people stay after their grant ends and use that opportunity for travel? I'd love any insight anyone could give and GOOD LUCK!!!

This is addressed on the main Fulbright site. See the information under Current Fulbrighters. 

Yup, I've read plenty of them. Always an interesting read and a great way to kill time, though it can be like binge watching netflix shows, you take it all in in a condensed period and then all of sudden there's no more left....and you're back to attempting to not think about your own application.

NOPE! Not alone AT ALL... I've even contacted current Fulbrighters in my country of choice just to talk to them about their experience... Vicariously living through them ahaha.

I even watch youtube videos to get geographically acquainted and try to pick up on some of the language.

Good to know I'm not the only one...though some of the response I got were rather frank in how tough the experience can be sometimes, which is good to temper the excitement but also a bit intimidating.

Hello! A longtime lurker to the forums, figured I'd post with the deadline looming in 15 or so days...

My name is Chris - I am a 2012 graduate of Penn State University.  I received my undergraduate degree in Public Relations, and moved to Buffalo NY after graduating. Odd place, right? I was an undergraduate assistant with PSU Football and had intended to coach collegiately as a Graduate Assistant - that came crashing down with the dismissal of Joe Paterno and his entire staff.

So - I somehow found myself linked with a group of neurosurgeons starting a Vascular Institute & Innovation Center in Buffalo. I've been the Manager of Training at the Jacobs Institute for the past 2 years. Our courses are either cadaveric tissue based or incorproate endovascular simulation and 3D printed vascular models.

To make a long story short - our group hosted a neurosurgeon from Medellin, Colombia for 6 months - he left this June. His institution, Universidad EAFIT, is looking to create a neuroendovascular fellowship in Medellin, alongside the development of a neurosurgical training center.

I thought their needs might dovetail well with a Fulbright, and proposed a Full Research study in Medellin for the 2015-16 year. My included a gap analysis of current neurosurgical training needs in Medellin and essentially a tech transfer package from our best practices at UB neurosurgery to Colombia. Ancillary to the program is my coursework and community involvement. I'll be taking Spanish & Healthcare Institution MGT if selected. Lastly, I proposed creating a spanish language lecture for adolescents on concussion injuries - something I already do for a non profit in Buffalo. 

I received letters of affiliation from Univ. Buffalo Neurosurgery, and Universidad EAFIT. Letters of recommendations included the president of the hospital, assoc. head coach of West Virginia Univ football, and a personal relationship from my time as a coach for best buddies. 

We will see what happens - who knows? Was an exciting opportunity to apply for this and get it going. I wish you all the absolute best of luck in your pursuits. It has been exciting to follow you all as we jointly wait with baited breath! I'll be posting regularly as we close in...talk soon and thanks for reading! 

CR