Berkeley admitted thread 2014

Hey, I've also been following the Government Affairs threads for years, since I took the GRE in early 2011. I had planned to engage in conversations comparing program merits to support myself and others making informed decisions, but my admit with funding to GSPP changed all that. So, I'm looking forward to discussing things like prime places to live in the Berkeley area, the logistics of GSI positions and whether we should prep for the GSPP math camp in August.

Anyone have thoughts on these?

CityofSand and gwualamouthful: "prime" places to live depend on what you're looking for. I lived in the East Bay from 2011-2013, and you can find pretty much any kind of housing you're looking for, although none of it is cheap, and some of it is aggressively not cheap. I can tell you more if you let me know what you're interested in - the only general advice I'd give is to consider North Oakland. It's less commercial than Berkeley, less undergrad-y, and there aren't panhandlers on every corner. It's a little bit further away, but both Berkeley and Oakland are highly bikeable, and you could take BART all three or four days that it rains. If I take Cal's offer, I'd certainly want to move back to Oakland.

As far as the math review goes, I'd guess you'd want to dust off your calculus, and definitely your stats, but I don't know. I recently took a class at Chicago's Harris School and felt better prepared than some of the MPPs there, and I was an English major in undergrad...

As far as the math review goes, I'd guess you'd want to dust off your calculus, and definitely your stats, but I don't know. I recently took a class at Chicago's Harris School and felt better prepared than some of the MPPs there, and I was an English major in undergrad...

"gwualamouthful" LOL!  

Estrauss thank you for the input!! I am considering enrolling in calc over the summer cause why not, I've never taken it and I'd rather go in less lost on the quant end. Also that is great about the biking, I am curious as to whether you think it is a place worth bringing a car to as well? I don't mind going without one but I do have one I can bring with me...with housing, I've actually never been to the SF bay area. I have no idea what I'm looking for except probably roommates! 

I'm going to do my best to make the admit day. I have SIPA to hear from who may be the only contender, but I'm approaching 90% certainty that Cal will be my next destination :)

I'm there with you, gwualum4mpp; does anybody have a sense for how much a parking spot typically costs? And if so, do you know whether a motorcycle and a Subaru can fit on the same spot?

Also, anybody have a Calc MOOC they recommend? Here is an out-of-copyright e-book, called Calculus Made Easy, that a Peace Corps friend pointed me toward: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283.

You don't need a car, but it can be nice to have one. I didn't have one when I lived there; I did use a motorcycle for some trips, but that was largely recreational. As far as Berkeley proper goes, you really don't need one, but if you want to venture very far afield you'll want one.

That said, I would be wary of anyone trying to rent you a parking spot in the East Bay. There's plenty of street parking in most parts of Oakland and Berkeley, especially for motorcycles, which can park pretty much anywhere short of the sidewalk. Parking in San Francisco is an utter and total nightmare, but that shouldn't be a concern unless you're trying to live there and commute for classes, which, well... you'd need a hell of a stipend.

If you're open to roommates, then there are all kinds of options for your living situation, but don't underestimate the amount of time it can take to find a place.

I've had what's felt like the shock of my life two Fridays in a row: GSPP then WWS. I've dreamed for so long about living in the Bay Area, and now my wife and I have the opportunity. I was certain that my chances at both GSPP and WWS were close to nil, now I'm just reeling. I hope we can have some fruitful discussions this next month and share insights about GSPP and other programs to help everybody with the crazy good fortune of multiple options to make the most informed decisions possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I would really love to go to Goldman, but I didn't get funding. I remember other folks in the same situation posting in previous years about how they planned to make it work financially with the fee remissions that come from graduate assistantships. This seems really risky to me, given that they're not guaranteed (and Berkeley is an expensive part of the country to live in). Is anyone else in the same boat here? Thoughts?

@Lazuliii, I just wrote someone else a detailed post on the topic of reimbursements and TAships. Tl;dr is that graduate assistantships are out there for whoever makes an effort to get them by emailing professors/keeping an ear out, and they offer up to 50% reimbursement depending on the hours that you work. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here who has decided to go for GSPP MPP? I already sent them the Intent to Enroll! And I wanted to get in touch with some of the possible/future classmates =).

I'm from Mexico City by the way.

I would really love to go to Goldman, but I didn't get funding. I remember other folks in the same situation posting in previous years about how they planned to make it work financially with the fee remissions that come from graduate assistantships. This seems really risky to me, given that they're not guaranteed (and Berkeley is an expensive part of the country to live in). Is anyone else in the same boat here? Thoughts?

I am in this exact situation. I have been admitted, but with no funding. I got a full-ride from Madison, which is also a Top 10 policy school, so I am trying to use that to negotiate a better deal from Berkeley and/or UCLA. UCLA seems to be trying really hard to fight for me against Madison, but Berkeley doesn't seem to care.

For everyone else accepted into GSPP, have you had access to see your official financial aid package? I haven't, and I've been trying to reach out to them to know exactly how much they want me to take out in loans. I don't even have instructions for how to make up my CalNet ID. Is anyone else having this issue? I have been emailing Martha Chavez from the FinAid Office, but she doesn't seem to really address my concerns. Calling the FinAid Office doesn't seem to help either.

Unless, I can walk away from this degree with a reasonable amount of debt, I think I have to stick with Madison even though Berkeley is clearly a much better program. I calculated what the Berkeley degree would reasonably cost me after 2 years. We're looking at around $93k, which for a public service oriented degree, I'm not certain it's worth it in the end, but I don't know. I'm really torn. What do you guys think? 

Hey skorlange,

I also got full funding + stipend from Madison, and it was tempting, believe me. Instead, I took zero funding at Berkeley, and I'm very happy with that decision (I graduate next month). I can't get into my old profile, but check out my old posts on costs, etc. under state_school'10. We have somewhat similar results, it looks like. 

GSPP does a terrible job advertising this fact, but the program costs much, much less than the sticker price. After the first year, all domestic students get in-state tuition. If you're willing to work 15-22 hours a week as a teaching assistant, it is virtually guaranteed you can get full UC tuition remission, plus a stipend of about $1500/month. It isn't like Michigan, where a few people here and there get it; every single one of my classmates that wanted a position got one (maybe one or two won't admit rejection, but like 75% of us get positions along the way, and I think about half work all four semesters).

That leaves a few thousand per semester of the professional program fees. Housing is expensive, but with roommates you can bring it down to $800 a month. Bottom line, I would anticipate a cost more like $20-$40k max for the two years. I worked all four semesters, and it's definitely doable. I also got involved with a variety of other activities, and still have time to spend with my wife so it doesn't mean 80 hour weeks. More like 50/60s during midterms and finals. 

I'm happy to chat more, and set up a call if you want. And keep negotiating with the financial aid, I regret giving up too soon. You might be able to get $5-10k, but even if you don't, you should still consider it affordable.

Andrew (akndrew at gmail)

Edited by akndrew

Hey skorlange,

I also got full funding + stipend from Madison, and it was tempting, believe me. Instead, I took zero funding at Berkeley, and I'm very happy with that decision (I graduate next month). I can't get into my old profile, but check out my old posts on costs, etc. under state_school'10. We have somewhat similar results, it looks like. 

GSPP does a terrible job advertising this fact, but the program costs much, much less than the sticker price. After the first year, all domestic students get in-state tuition. If you're willing to work 15-22 hours a week as a teaching assistant, it is virtually guaranteed you can get full UC tuition remission, plus a stipend of about $1500/month. It isn't like Michigan, where a few people here and there get it; every single one of my classmates that wanted a position got one (maybe one or two won't admit rejection, but like 75% of us get positions along the way, and I think about half work all four semesters).

That leaves a few thousand per semester of the professional program fees. Housing is expensive, but with roommates you can bring it down to $800 a month. Bottom line, I would anticipate a cost more like $20-$40k max for the two years. I worked all four semesters, and it's definitely doable. I also got involved with a variety of other activities, and still have time to spend with my wife so it doesn't mean 80 hour weeks. More like 50/60s during midterms and finals. 

I'm happy to chat more, and set up a call if you want. And keep negotiating with the financial aid, I regret giving up too soon. You might be able to get $5-10k, but even if you don't, you should still consider it affordable.

Andrew (akndrew at gmail)

Hello, Andrew! I sent you an email about this. Hope we can chat/talk about this before April 15th. Thanks! 

Update: I got a call from the FinAid people this morning! It looks like they are wanting me to accept their offer, so they are looking into whether they can provide me with a fellowship! I told them about my free ride offer from Madison, and though she was trying to highlight the negative points of living in Wisconsin, she did sell the program really well. I talked to Andrew (from this thread) who put me at ease with the GSIship concerns I had, so I think I'll be going to Berkeley! I have a phone call tomorrow with the FinAid person, so I'll see what they say.

If so, us new MPP students should start getting to know each other and maybe even discuss housing options (for those who don't have anything secured). 

Hey sklorange, 

I am also a grad student heading to Berkeley in the Fall although I am heading to the College of Natural Resources, however I was hunting for housing and thought we could hunt houses together with any other new  students who might be heading to Berkeley in the Fall. 

Let me know if you have any ideas about housing.

Cheers

hi everyone!

congrat for you all who was admitted by berkeley. But, I'm not in the same boat. I was rejected. I feel so sad but that's a life. perhaps i will try again in the next year admission.

Could you please share your tips and your requirement documents (such as SOP and personal history statement)? so then i can learn from you all for the next shot.

I thought that i was rejected because i dont have any letter of sponsorship. but after i read your posting, i think that's not the reason. maybe because my toefl or mygre score isn't good enough.

any advice for my next application improvement?

Best regards,

jack

​I am very excited to announce that I will be attending Berkeley this fall! I just got off the phone with the assistant dean, and now they offered me a deal that is completely more manageable! My 1st year fees are ALL covered, plus I get a $10k stipend. I also negotiated to get my Year 2 professional degree fees of $8k covered as well. As long as I work a GSI position during my time there, I can leave this program with a very manageable amount of debt! I really owe this to my professor who wrote a letter of recommendation for me. She taught me how to play the negotiation game with admissions regarding funding opportunities, and boy has it worked! I am so honored and excited about all of this! And I'm glad I don't have to go to Wisconsin now! Hoorah! 

Hey sklorange, 

I am also a grad student heading to Berkeley in the Fall although I am heading to the College of Natural Resources, however I was hunting for housing and thought we could hunt houses together with any other new  students who might be heading to Berkeley in the Fall. 

Let me know if you have any ideas about housing.

Cheers

Hey, there, I will send you a PM about this so we can see if we would be compatible enough for a living situation. I'm thinking of living north of campus (south of campus is full of undergrads and it's quite chaotic). We can talk more about this via PM. Maybe enough of us can band together to get a good deal on a house or something! 

hi everyone!

congrat for you all who was admitted by berkeley. But, I'm not in the same boat. I was rejected. I feel so sad but that's a life. perhaps i will try again in the next year admission.

Could you please share your tips and your requirement documents (such as SOP and personal history statement)? so then i can learn from you all for the next shot.

I thought that i was rejected because i dont have any letter of sponsorship. but after i read your posting, i think that's not the reason. maybe because my toefl or mygre score isn't good enough.

any advice for my next application improvement?

Best regards,

jack

Hello Jack, believe it or not, I know just how to feel. I had my eyes set for UCB when I graduated from high school. I was the valedictorian of my school and had a ton of extra-curriculars, so I thought for SURE they'd accept me, but they didn't. They even accepted some people from my school with significantly fewer achievements/GPA/extra-curriculars/etc. I was bitter about it, but I think admissions are sometimes not as predictable as we'd like them to be. 

To be completely honest, I think what made my application relatively strong is the fact that one of my recommenders was a woman who is very well-connected and highly regarded in education policy circles. She is even colleagues with the dean of the GSPP! I think work experience is also highly valued - more so than I originally thought. I used to think it was all just GPA and GRE scores. Honestly, my GRE scores weren't even that great. I got a 155 for verbal, 157 for quant, but I did receive a perfect score for writing (that has always been my strongest suit). I keep hearing GRE scores aren't as hefty as we make them out to be for admissions decision. Obviously, it makes an impact that you didn't totally bomb on it, but if you're in the "above average" range and can vouch for yourself about it, then you're good. I would really recommend really selling your work experience and ensuring your recommenders are top-notch (or at least one of them). 

If you PM me, I would be more than glad to answer more questions about the statement of purpose or anything like that. A close friend of mine used to work for a university program that helped students how to write all of those documents, so if mine were strong, it was really due to her help, and I'd be glad to share her words of wisdom. 

Edited by sklorange

Has anyone heard back from the department regarding the waitlist decision? I spoke to Erin last week and she told me more info will be available in the week starting 21st april. Im on the waitlist and anxiously awaiting a response.

Cheers,

S.

I just got an email yesterday saying that I had been passed over on the waitlist but that they were keeping the waitlist open till August. Frustrating, since the door is basically closed, but they've still managed to keep it open just a crack.

Curious, did people on the waitlist follow directions and just sit tight waiting? I didn't know if reaching out to professors/sending another letter expressing interest violated their fairly strict "no additional info" rule.

Oh so basically you were put on the waitlist in march and now youve gotten an email saying that you havent been offered a position? im a little confused since i havent heard back from them. And no i did not send any in additional info. What do tjey mean by waitlist is open till august? Are they not offereing anyone a spot from the waitlist?

Basically it sounds like they've come to some kind of decision on who they are letting in off the waitlist, but they'll be keeping everyone else on the waitlist in case more spots open up between now and August.