Waitlisted

antecedent

Did anyone else here get waitlisted somewhere? I thought I'd start a thread so we can hang out in the limbo space together.

You might want to share information like:

- How did you find out your were on the waitlist (email, phone call, etc.)?

- Do you know any details about the list?

- Do you have any other offers?

- How are you feeling about all this right now?

Or just ramble nervously if that helps. 

I got waitlisted to Delaware and Illinois (PhDs). Both by email

With Delaware I know that I'm first in the waitlist cz the guy told me so if one of the yes-es gives a no then I'm getting his yes; I was told the no would be a high possibility so I feel like I'm waiting on a 1.5 month like pregnancy test after going unsafe with a guy who might be impotent (but not 100% sure). Delaware also interviewed me twice, and the guys liked me so woohoo (I feel desired)

I don't know much about Illinois (besides the fact that it is a weird word to spell correctly) because they don't interview people at all, and I have no idea where I am on the list and I don't care that much about knowing since it's not like that info would matter if I'm not on the adcom :P

Besides Delaware and Illinois I also applied to two MAs which I won't hear back from until april.

I am dealing with this by knowing that I'll probably get in to one of the MAs if I get rejected from the waitlists.

The end

Well things certainly sound promising for Delaware! But I know that can make the waiting even more stressful. 

I'm waitlisted at UCSC. I was notified over the phone by the DGS in mid-February, which was really nice. Apparently they don't do waitlists normally there so he wasn't able to give me a solid idea of when/how things would move along. He did say that the waitlist was only 1-2 people...but the program is only 4 people so who knows what will happen. It seemed like he was being intentionally vague when telling me about the list itself, which I guess makes sense if you're not sure what the outcome will be like. 

I have one other offer with a great department, but the location is not totally desirable for me. Santa Cruz would be closer to my family and friends so that's an additional, non-academic reason I'm hoping the waitlist converts.

Their prospective student weekend was this weekend, so I can start nervously checking my phone ever 2 seconds again now.

Somewhat unrelated, but I got waitlisted for funding at UT Austin which was somewhat unexpected since they accepted me so quickly once they found out I had other offers. I was told I wouldn't be notified until April about funding and while waiting to hear something from them decided Arizona was a better decision since it was my top choice anyway. Once I turned down Austin I received an email from their department telling me that they were "just about to make me a funding offer". Oh well. Waiting is atrocious, stay strong! 

Somewhat unrelated, but I got waitlisted for funding at UT Austin which was somewhat unexpected since they accepted me so quickly once they found out I had other offers. I was told I wouldn't be notified until April about funding and while waiting to hear something from them decided Arizona was a better decision since it was my top choice anyway. Once I turned down Austin I received an email from their department telling me that they were "just about to make me a funding offer". Oh well. Waiting is atrocious, stay strong! 

It's good to nail down the final decision and terminate the painful waiting process. And the fact that Austin wanted you so much suggests your strong abilities. Congratulations!

BTW, I saw UToronto in your application list. Did you hear anything from them? I wrote to the DGS and was told the preliminary offers have been sent out, but additional offers are possible depends on the responses to the first offers (so I guess it's similar to a waitlist, only that everyone that is not on the preliminary list is on the wait list..). Since this decision will be made in April, I might have already accepted another offer. Now I'm not sure whether I should withdraw the application or just leave it there....

It's good to nail down the final decision and terminate the painful waiting process. And the fact that Austin wanted you so much suggests your strong abilities. Congratulations!

BTW, I saw UToronto in your application list. Did you hear anything from them? I wrote to the DGS and was told the preliminary offers have been sent out, but additional offers are possible depends on the responses to the first offers (so I guess it's similar to a waitlist, only that everyone that is not on the preliminary list is on the wait list..). Since this decision will be made in April, I might have already accepted another offer. Now I'm not sure whether I should withdraw the application or just leave it there....

Unfortunately, the admissions process there (possibly in many Canadian programs) is a bit different, in that the waitlisted people can be contacted as late as July/August (I know someone who was contacted late summer). Unfortunately, when people get off the waitlist really depends on how the admissions process is going (i.e. how quickly admittees make their decisions and when they inform the department). So I don't think it hurts to leave your application there for now, but do be aware that you could find out ANYTIME, including after April 15.

Edited by goldheartmountaintop

I havent heard anything from them yet. Since I already accepted at Arizona I kind of stopped thinking about the other two schools I still havent heard from. I kind of assumed that I wasn't on the short list since I hadn't heard anything by now. Especially since the person I was looking to work with is on long term leave and wont be around. Oh well, no worries. Hopefully they are speedy in the process regardless of whether or not I'm waiting for them. I know everyone else is tired of stressing about figuring these things out!

Are we supposed/encouraged to do anything while we wait for a result? Like talk to the admissions commitee news guy or our POI about stuff to make them force the Yes-es to say a no?

Are we supposed/encouraged to do anything while we wait for a result? Like talk to the admissions commitee news guy or our POI about stuff to make them force the Yes-es to say a no?

No. The people who were admitted have until April 15 to make their decision and the school can't legally force them to decide earlier (though some schools will still ask applicants to let them know early, precisely because there are people on the waitlist). There is nothing you can do to put pressure on anyone, you unfortunately just have to wait it out. You can, if you want, inquire once in a while about your status on the list and reaffirm your interest in the program, but I would caution against doing that too often. 

Another week of potential phone calls starts tomorrow! I try my best to focus on my work and not think about it, but it's hard. Specially when every day people want to know if where I'm going/if I've heard/etc.

Just a few weeks left guys!

I followed Fuzzy's advice and emailed the DGS just checking in on the the list and reaffirming my interest in the program. It's the first time I've contacted them since February 24th so I don't think it's too annoying to send a short email just to check...fingers crossed!

Does anyone have any inspirational stories about getting in off the waitlist that they'd like to share? I could really go for some distraction/delusion right about now...

On 3/31/2014 at 5:14 PM, antecedent said:

Does anyone have any inspirational stories about getting in off the waitlist that they'd like to share? I could really go for some distraction/delusion right about now...

Well, I recently got a postdoc fellowship after being on the waitlist for 3 months. Couldn't be happier, and couldn't care less about being waitlisted first (except that the wait was torturous). 

Good luck! I will be sending good vibes your way. 

Thanks! omg, it is a HUGE relief. Not knowing what your life will be like just a few months from now is really terrible, and there are a good few months that you spend in this state of uncertainty (like, will I have a job at all? will I need to prepare 5 new courses I've never taught before while simultaneously reapplying for jobs again next year? what country will I be living in? how will this affect my personal life?). Going on the job market is a complicated experience; it's time consuming and it's very hard to go through even if you are very well prepared. And trying to research and write a dissertation in the middle of all that uncertainty is... meh.  And honestly, I'm lucky. Some of my friends didn't have a job lined up for the next year until July. 

Waitlisted by UC Davis today. I've already committed elsewhere and had honestly assumed I was going to get a rejection since I hadn't heard anything until now. It's nice to know I at least made the wait list though. If anyone is waiting on UC Davis I'll be telling them to take me off the wait list to make sure no one does any more waiting than they have to :)