Quotes in the SOP?

A few of my prompts ask me to talk about a social concern. There is a quote that falls so perfectly with my ideas I would really like to use it. However, I feel like I have heard really mixed views on quotes.

• Is it a good or bad idea to use a quote? 
  • If using a quote, is the location of the quote important? I would prefer to use the quote in the middle of the essay, not as an opening line.

I'm applying social work programs if that has any impact.

Also- good luck to everyone else who is in constantly feeling  ---> :o  (like me)

My adviser said, "It's all right to use a quote as long as it isn't saccharine or irrelevant" but I know people have violently differing opinions on this. FWIW, I started my SOP with a quotation and I felt nervous about it but it's not a Dr. Seuss line, nor does it reference my childhood love of books, so that helps. 

My adviser said, "It's all right to use a quote as long as it isn't saccharine or irrelevant" but I know people have violently differing opinions on this. FWIW, I started my SOP with a quotation and I felt nervous about it but it's not a Dr. Seuss line, nor does it reference my childhood love of books, so that helps. 

Hmm... My SOP actually begins with a quote from Dr. Seuss, but not from his books.. something he noted on how children view the world. So funny you should cite Seuss as a cliche intro-- from all the feedback I've received, the use of that quote really captures the readers attention and is very relevant to my desire to pursue a career in school psychology. I think if a quote is used properly, it can really add something to the statement. 

A good question. I think that under no circumstances should they open with a quote; it's trite and shows a lack of originality. (The SOP, especially the introduction, should be in your words, not those of someone else.) Sometimes it's acceptable to include a quotation elsewhere in the writing, as you intend to, but make sure it really does connect directly with the main point of your writing and is not merely inspirational "fluff" (another common pitfall of SOP writing.)

Edited by fuzzylogician
edited to remove advertisement

• 2 weeks later...

A good question. I think that under no circumstances should they open with a quote; it's trite and shows a lack of originality. (The SOP, especially the introduction, should be in your words, not those of someone else.) Sometimes it's acceptable to include a quotation elsewhere in the writing, as you intend to, but make sure it really does connect directly with the main point of your writing and is not merely inspirational "fluff" (another common pitfall of SOP writing.)

In the end, after reading a lot about how this is a cliche, unoriginal "kiss of death", I decided not to include the quote. At the last minute prior to uploading and submitting, I reworded things. Thanks for the advice, StudyStar!