Make a mini joke in SOP?

Hey all,

So when, if ever, is it appropriate to make a slight joke in your SOP?

I'm applying to social work and I'm discussing sort of a heavy topic in my statement. the statement requires me to identify a social problem and how a practice or policy could change the issue. Anyway, so I'm talking about the problem, and i go on to say "if i had my way blah blah blah blah" [stuff about what how I would address the issue], then it pops up in my head to say "unfortunately, or some would argue fortunately, I am not the ruler of all things"....appropriate?? leave it out?? Leaning more towards scrap it.

Thoughts, please!!!

I'd say you shouldn't in the SOP.

In my second writing sample for certain universities though, which was a paper on syntax, I used a lot of example sentences like "that Gary married his own grandmother pleases him" and "I hope to get accepted to grad school." Personally it makes reading linguistics papers a lot more interesting for me, when the examples are funny too, and my professor said it wouldn't be a problem if I had example sentences like that when I applied.

I guess that might be one place in which humor is okay.

Edited by Chiki

Why not, I would suggest adding one creatively as admission committee members are also people like us :) I have seen some jokes which worked well reviewing hundreds of graduate SOPs for masters

Sometimes humor can fit in a SOP but I think you would have to be pretty good at humor in order to pull it off. I know I'm not so I don't try it. The example joke in the first post would be something I would leave out! I am not even clever enough to think of a good example of humor right now even. However, I do think it would be appropriate (for SOPs in my field, can't say for sure for others) for an applicant to tell a funny story in their SOP as long as it is a relevant anecdote about why they want to be in grad school / why they are a good fit for University X.

Maybe not that kind of joke, but I think a small bit of humor is a potentially good thing to have.

I added humor in mine, but mostly light humor (not really "jokes"). It's not particularly easy to distinguish yourself from the masses with many other techniques in the SoP alone. There are going to be tons of people with so many different, amazing, and impressive accomplishments, but if they're all worded and presented in similar, extremely serious manner, they probably blend together to some extent.

The SoP is pretty much the only place where your personality can come out (aside from interviews), and I took advantage of that. Of course, it's a matter of personal preference, and I can understand why most people opt to leave it out. Simply put, I would be misrepresenting myself and my character if I didn't add at least some light humor.

Lets just say that: 

# of people who think they are funny  >>  # of people who are actually funny 

Think you can pull it off? Good luck. I think it's much easier to piss someone off with a bad attempt at a joke than successfully make a good impression, but if you think you can beat the odds, go for it; but in the name of all that is holy, please have multiple people read it before you send it off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes humor can fit in a SOP but I think you would have to be pretty good at humor in order to pull it off. I know I'm not so I don't try it.

# of people who think they are funny  >>  # of people who are actually funny

Seconding both of these.

As a general rule of thumb: if you have to ask, don't do it. The type of person who can successfully pull off humor in a piece of formal writing is rare, and the ones that can do it already know they can do it, know how they will be received and how they will come off. They don't have to ask. If you are not one of those people, leave it out.

Edited by Plissken