Any Columbia MSW hopefuls?

socialworkette

I am also still waiting. I have been accepted already by three other schools but no word from Columbia as of yet. Does anyone know someone personally who has already completed the program? I'm trying to weigh my options and so far all I seem to find online is "Columbia is overpriced". Not sure if I should pick Univ of Chicago over it (spec. for international social work).

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also still waiting. I have been accepted already by three other schools but no word from Columbia as of yet. Does anyone know someone personally who has already completed the program? I'm trying to weigh my options and so far all I seem to find online is "Columbia is overpriced". Not sure if I should pick Univ of Chicago over it (spec. for international social work).

I also got into U Chicago, congrats! I spoke to someone who graduated from Columbia's program and they said they chose it because it is a leader for international social work. They said though that the money is a big thing. But that they loved the people they met and the opportunities there. Not sure how helpful that is, but it seems like if you are willing to pay back loans in order to go to Columbia and be in the city, then you should do it. 

I also got into U Chicago, congrats! I spoke to someone who graduated from Columbia's program and they said they chose it because it is a leader for international social work. They said though that the money is a big thing. But that they loved the people they met and the opportunities there. Not sure how helpful that is, but it seems like if you are willing to pay back loans in order to go to Columbia and be in the city, then you should do it. 

Thanks! Yes, all I've seem to find online is that Columbia is expensive. Which Chicago is around pretty much the same price. Chicago's website seems to be easier to find more information, but I have read that their international program is still in its early stages. A lot of people have stated that Columbia is a waste for the money, but I find that hard to believe.

A few good friends of mine went to CU for their MSWs and they loved the program :) nothing but good things to say, and the only drawback I remember seemed to be that my friends felt that a few in their cohort didn't seem well prepared for grad school (specifically writing quality wise) but Id imagine you'd find people like that at any type of grad school/program...

I applied to Columbia's advanced standing program on November 30th and I am the most nerve wrecked person in my undergrad program. I think my field placement will play a big part in the process but I am not sure at all! If anyone can share some credentials from there BSW program it would be helpful. I also applied to NYU, PITT, and Millersville (all advanced standing/havent heard anything back yet). Good luck to everyone!!!!

If you look at the past admissions results page people seemed to get notifications from like mid February through May so it's more than possible that rounds of decisions could be coming out starting next week and just go on til everyone's heard back....so both could be true

I applied to the online program in November, had the interview in December, and they told me they would let people know in March. I already accepted NYU because it was my first choice and I only had 4 weeks to accept but I would still like to see if I can get into Columbia and it's the only other school I applied to.

Just to add a little totally personal perspective for those who have not visited Columbia yet, I had high expectations of the school but in person I was really disappointed. The school is off from the main campus and the admissions people and one faculty we met with seemed really cold and unhappy to be dealing with candidates. I get that it's a big name school and we want them more than they want us, but I for one felt very faceless there. 

hiclub,

It's relatively close too 116th (I think it's at 122nd, so 5-6 long blocks) but it's in an area that feels v different: it's all store after store, some abandoned buildings, etc. I lived in the city for many years and I wouldn't go back for that experience; it felt isolated from any "school vibe" that I would like. BUT that's just me and I really mean that sincerely. I've been out of school for a few years and I want to feel like I'm connected to the community a bit more and I didn't feel that at CSSW. If I was younger I probably wouldn't care at all.

Check out the street view on google to get an idea of what it looks like.