Boren 2015 - 2016

triscuit

Yes it seems like in years past, there've been multiple budget/dates emails.  Strange that this year the fellowship applicants got a budget/dates e-mail in late February, before even the first panel meets.  I was hopeful reading the 2012 thread that the e-mail meant something, but seeing as I received it before the panel even met, it likely was sent to all applicants.  Have the others filled out the spreadsheet? I just added my stuff.

I just took some time to read those threads. Last year there was no budget update email, just a date email? Is this correct? We are about a month out now. Lets see what happens!

Some sort of sign would be nice. Five weeks and counting... This board seems a lot less busy than previous years.

I noticed that too, I think towards the end of the month more curious applicants will show up. unfortunately, i can't stop obsessing over this, i was doing fine but when I got the email I just can't stop thinking about it. wake me up when the end of April is here!  :ph34r:  :(

I noticed that too, I think towards the end of the month more curious applicants will show up. unfortunately, i can't stop obsessing over this, i was doing fine but when I got the email I just can't stop thinking about it. wake me up when the end of April is here!  :ph34r:  :(

I feel your pain. I am wondering if anyone out there in fellowship-land has received any contact? Hey, maybe we are the only people who applied, right? May the odds forever be in our favor lol!

I feel your pain. I am wondering if anyone out there in fellowship-land has received any contact? Hey, maybe we are the only people who applied, right? May the odds forever be in our favor lol!

lol yeah, wouldn't that just be amazing  :lol:  well I called them just now about some questions I had on the above letter. also asked if everyone have gotten them and of course they are trained to beat around the bush with their answers. She said well these emails were sent just to clarify budgets. I didn't try any further I know how it is. so the waiting game continues...........

lol yeah, wouldn't that just be amazing  :lol:  well I called them just now about some questions I had on the above letter. also asked if everyone have gotten them and of course they are trained to beat around the bush with their answers. She said well these emails were sent just to clarify budgets. I didn't try any further I know how it is. so the waiting game continues...........

Sorry I hit the wrong button and it gave you a -1!! Wow, that is great that you called. Did you head anything in the background? Anything like sending off emails to people this week lol??

Sorry I hit the wrong button and it gave you a -1!! Wow, that is great that you called. Did you head anything in the background? Anything like sending off emails to people this week lol??

i thought i heard a few clicks of a mouse, she might have been doing that!!! LOL jk.....she was very dismissive about the question, as they are trained to do so. I turned in my budget update and continuing to bite my nails. I actually am trying to convince myself that those were sent out to everyone and I should just distract myself until i get the email late April -____-

The guy in the office told me that we would hear from them the 3rd week in April. I'm traveling in Africa now without good connection so I probably won't be on this forum much until then. The second half of this year remains a mystery for me, though, which is nerve-wracking. I just got a notification of my financial aid disbursement (I'll be a new grad student in the fall) and if I get the Boren I will probably have to do the online program. So I don't even know if I'll be an on campus student or an online student yet.

Yes I second that- I don't like not knowing what I'll be doing next year! I tell myself that given the odds for the fellowship (20% chance), I won't be going anywhere (80% likelihood of not getting the award), but it's hard to believe it until you get the letter.  Boren has the best odds of pretty much any grad fellowship (that I know of anyway).  Most dissertation fellowships have 1-5% odds.  

Yes I second that- I don't like not knowing what I'll be doing next year! I tell myself that given the odds for the fellowship (20% chance), I won't be going anywhere (80% likelihood of not getting the award), but it's hard to believe it until you get the letter.  Boren has the best odds of pretty much any grad fellowship (that I know of anyway).  Most dissertation fellowships have 1-5% odds.  

I put off graduation to get this fellowship. Lets hope we get some word soon, it is killing me. According to the last years' forums, word should be coming soon haha!

well, just found out they aren't sending students out to Egypt due to "security issues" which is weird because they were sending students out during the revolutions. they say this doesn't affect my application what so ever, but it is still a huge bummer. 

well, just found out they aren't sending students out to Egypt due to "security issues" which is weird because they were sending students out during the revolutions. they say this doesn't affect my application what so ever, but it is still a huge bummer. 

Did they e-mail you to let you know, or did you have to call them? I applied to go to one of the "iffy" countries too- hopefully they will let us know sooner rather than later.  Strange that they didn't tell applicants this from the beginning!  They must have had some inkling.

Did they ask you to supply an alternative country or plan of study?

Did they e-mail you to let you know, or did you have to call them? I applied to go to one of the "iffy" countries too- hopefully they will let us know sooner rather than later.  Strange that they didn't tell applicants this from the beginning!  They must have had some inkling.

Did they ask you to supply an alternative country or plan of study?

yes

"This notice is being sent to all 2015-2016 Boren Scholarship applicants to the country of Egypt. Due to security issues we will not be funding Boren Scholarships in Egypt for the 2015-2016 Boren Award cycle." 

yes, they told me to look into other programs in other countries :C and if I were to be a recipient, I have until late May to provide them with an alternate program and that they are willing to working with candidates in this situation. 

It is strange, however, a couple of days ago Egypt announced they will require visa PRIOR to entering the country, where before I can buy one at the airport for $15 upon arrival. This was going to start in May, not sure if there is a special security issue we don't know about, but I do know there has been scattered bombings throughout the country, even in Cairo. Civilians weren't targeted, just official foreign buildings or what not. 

They told me to look into the UAE, Kuwait, Jordan, Oman, Morocco or Qatar, but that changes the whole game. 

I am pretty sure they would have sent you the email already if it was cancelled because the dates are approaching. If not now, soon? Hopefully everything goes as planned for you.

Thanks for your reply, and I hope re-adjusting your study plans works out in the end too. Sounds like a huge hassle, but I suppose we're bound to encounter stuff like this since we're not studying something straightforward, like art in Paris, right? :)  Can't be fun to have to come up with a new proposal, but hopefully you can retain the major elements of your Egypt plan.  Good luck!

Thanks for your reply, and I hope re-adjusting your study plans works out in the end too. Sounds like a huge hassle, but I suppose we're bound to encounter stuff like this since we're not studying something straightforward, like art in Paris, right? :)  Can't be fun to have to come up with a new proposal, but hopefully you can retain the major elements of your Egypt plan.  Good luck!

yeah, exactly, its not going to be easy. plus, I'm not sure if I'm going to get the scholarship. if i don't get it, ill probably end up going to egypt anyways on loans but we will see what the universe has in store , thank you good luck to u too!

I'd also like to give a shout out to the lurkers :)  Please join us if you applied for a Boren, we're all in this together, right?  

Just calculated that this thread has 2,359 views, but only 43 posts.  That means that even if those posts were from 43 different people, each of us would have read the thread 53 times.  ;D

I'd also like to give a shout out to the lurkers :)  Please join us if you applied for a Boren, we're all in this together, right?  

Just calculated that this thread has 2,359 views, but only 43 posts.  That means that even if those posts were from 43 different people, each of us would have read the thread 53 times.  ;D

LOL, all those 2,000 views may have come from me hahaha, just kidding. I do check it for any updates. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks we get some sort of update, if not should be less than 4 weeks now until we here. EVERYDAY I see a sign for the country that I applied to, actually more than one sign, is this the universe speaking to me?

LOL, all those 2,000 views may have come from me hahaha, just kidding. I do check it for any updates. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks we get some sort of update, if not should be less than 4 weeks now until we here. EVERYDAY I see a sign for the country that I applied to, actually more than one sign, is this the universe speaking to me?

I am not going to lie, I check this every day ! More during the past two weeks but I am slowly trying to avoid obsessing over it, now it will be easier since my country has been flagged :\ but I totally agree, there is not way it is just us in here: lurkers, lurkers everywhere lol

I am not going to lie, I check this every day ! More during the past two weeks but I am slowly trying to avoid obsessing over it, now it will be easier since my country has been flagged :\ but I totally agree, there is not way it is just us in here: lurkers, lurkers everywhere lol

Haha yes, it could actually be us checking the forum.  There's something to be said for waiting it out together.  Every time I get tired of waiting, I try to imagine the real process the panels are going through.  I think in March, the regional panels met, and then next month the national panel meets to make final decisions.  I wonder what it's like to read all those applications.  And the readers could be anybody- faculty at our universities, sometimes people we know.  I wonder if Boren has readers not read candidates from their schools.  

Haha yes, it could actually be us checking the forum.  There's something to be said for waiting it out together.  Every time I get tired of waiting, I try to imagine the real process the panels are going through.  I think in March, the regional panels met, and then next month the national panel meets to make final decisions.  I wonder what it's like to read all those applications.  And the readers could be anybody- faculty at our universities, sometimes people we know.  I wonder if Boren has readers not read candidates from their schools.  

Where did you see the viewer count? Any idea why the scholarship letters have gone out and nothing for the fellows? I wish others would comment, maybe some clues could come about... Something would be nice soon. Also, check out this: http://www.cies.org/sites/default/files/2014-CIES-Discipline-Peer-Review-Committee-Guidelines.pdf. It is the review committee process for Fulbright.