Best MPA Institutes in US for international students

psaxena

Hello from India.

I want to apply for MPA in States for fall 2016. Can anyone guide me through the best colleges to apply in US from an international student's perspective? Also, what are job prospects in US after MPA for an international student?

I've completed my Masters in Economics in India and am currently employed with University of Delhi as an Assistant Professor (Economics)

It would be great if someone could answer the queries! :)

Thanks for the link :) but are these rankings reliable? Coz I read on this forum only that there are some schools far much better than Maxwell..

This is a better link for rankings: http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/02/03/top-twenty-five-schools-international-relations/

Not sure if international policy is what you're interested in, but nonetheless a variety of schools on this list offer MPA/MPP programs that are highly regarded in the public sector. 

This is a good link for comparisons on top programs: http://portal.publicpolicy.utoronto.ca/en/MPPMPAPrograms/Pages/index.aspx

Of course you'll wanna look at the top dogs - HKS, Cornell, Princeton, Michigan, Columbia etc. Syracuse/Maxwell program is pretty good as well. If you're looking to go back to India after graduation a big name will obviously be good. In the U.S. you also really can't go wrong with a top school / Ivy League. It all of course, depends on your career goals, where you want to live etc. 

Hope that helps! 

It all depends on what you are interested in.  If you are interested in city management and planning, then Arizona State University, University of Kansas, and Cleveland State would be top schools.

If you want to work in federal policy, you gotta go to a school in Washington, DC.

My biggest tip is go somewhere with internship opportunities. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have admit from Rutgers University MPA and Columbia MPA. There are lot of rankings which are suggesting Rutgers MPA is better. I want to know whether Columbia is better? I want to stay back in US for few years before shifting back to India. Any thoughts would be well appreciated. 

Hi, I have admit from Rutgers University MPA and Columbia MPA. There are lot of rankings which are suggesting Rutgers MPA is better. I want to know whether Columbia is better? I want to stay back in US for few years before shifting back to India. Any thoughts would be well appreciated. 

Meril, do you mind sharing your profile? Your back ground, work ex, and where you applied?

Hi, I have done my undergrad and postgrad from India in Economics. I have been working as a research associate with a education based think thank. I have been admitted to Rutgers- Newark, NJ for MPA and I am on the waitlist for Columbia, for MPA in SIPA. I am in the process of figuring out my finances. I was wondering with the cost of attendance in Columbia, is the MPA program in SIPA worth it? Also, wanted to know about the placements. The US news ranking has placed Rutgers on 7th and Columbia in the 20's. I am confused, which one to pick?

Hi, I have done my undergrad and postgrad from India in Economics. I have been working as a research associate with a education based think thank. I have been admitted to Rutgers- Newark, NJ for MPA and I am on the waitlist for Columbia, for MPA in SIPA. I am in the process of figuring out my finances. I was wondering with the cost of attendance in Columbia, is the MPA program in SIPA worth it? Also, wanted to know about the placements. The US news ranking has placed Rutgers on 7th and Columbia in the 20's. I am confused, which one to pick?

Rutgers.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

First of all thank you to everyone who contributed to this conversation.

I want a MPA degree with concentrations like economic development and public policy. I would want to pursue a career with UN and/or World Bank. I'm really confused about which schools to apply to! Yes, I want a big name but they might not have high acceptance rates. I would like to come back to India if I don't get a job in States!

So please suggest me top 5-6 schools which fare well in terms of:

1. Financial Aid (the most important one, I would say)

2. Concentrations like economic development and public policy

3. Job market scenario post the degree completion

Applications for Fall 2016. Any leads in this regard would be really appreciated :)

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2015, 12:29:41, psaxena said:

Hi,

First of all thank you to everyone who contributed to this conversation.

I want a MPA degree with concentrations like economic development and public policy. I would want to pursue a career with UN and/or World Bank. I'm really confused about which schools to apply to! Yes, I want a big name but they might not have high acceptance rates. I would like to come back to India if I don't get a job in States!

So please suggest me top 5-6 schools which fare well in terms of:

1. Financial Aid (the most important one, I would say)

2. Concentrations like economic development and public policy

3. Job market scenario post the degree completion

Applications for Fall 2016. Any leads in this regard would be really appreciated :)

I would look for programs that have a Master of Public Policy (MPP) and a Master of Development Practice (MDP), where you can share electives depending on which degree you go with. University of Minnesota, Berkley, and Columbia have these, along with many other public affairs schools.  As far as financial aid, also be aware that even if you get funding, the cost of living across the US is varied. Contacting the schools to see what type of funding and student work they have is important. I know Minnesota has a great assistant program where students get paid and get tuition waivers. They also have fellowships you can apply for. I assume Columbia is well funded, but NYC is very expensive to live in.