HELP! Advice to a recent (Bachelors) Psychology Grad wanting to return to grad school.

TigerMem

After graduating in 2013 with a B.A. in Psychology, I did not continue on to grad school primarily due to the fact that I didn't know what area of psyc I wanted to specialize in (i.e. experimental, school, clinical, etc.). Now, I know I want to get a PhD in Clinical Psychology, with a concentration in child and family(I want to become a Child & Family Psychologist).

However, my numbers aren't that great:

GPA: 3:09 Cum.; 3.79 Major (my cumulative GPA is low bc I goofed off my first 2 years of college (i.e. poor study habits, lack of  direction) )

GRE: 148 Q; 150 V; 4 writing

No research experience

Few letters of rec (didn't take the time to form good relationships with my professors) 

I want to spend this year improving my application so I can start applying for doctorate programs for Fall 2016. Right now, I'm primarily focusing on gaining research experience, but it's difficult doing so not being a current psychology student. I applied and got accepted into a Master's in Sociology program with a full assistantship + stipend for Fall 2015 and I want to volunteer in psyc research labs in the meantime.

Questions:

Does this sound like a bad idea? (I'm worried that Clinical Psyc programs will see my Sociology classes as a conflict; or think I'm indecisive)

Should I try to get into to a Master's in Psychology (school or education psychology)? (i.e. my concern with this is that limited funds are available and if I went this route, then I'd likely have to pay out of pocket for my master's and finances is a HUGE factor in my returning to school)

My apologizes: this post is all over the place.  I made a lot of mistakes throughout my undergrad education by not getting proper guidance, so I'm trying to get all the help I can.

Any advice, general tips/suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm not at all super familiar with clinical psychology programs, so take this with a jug of salt. But, I do remember reading on a previous thread that getting a graduate degree in something else (i.e. an MA in sociology) could be and has been read as indeciveness.

Building off of what lxwllms said: 

If you go the sociology master's route, I think you should be prepared to really sell how the experience prepared you for psychology. It's one thing to work and things like that before graduate school, but to get a degree in a different discipline seems like a whole different situation. So I guess my advice is to make sure when you apply for clinical programs that you minimize the fact you knew before starting your sociology degree that you had every intention of switching to psychology anyway. The positive I see from the sociology master's is that you will be able to develop relationships with faculty that can write you better letters.

My other suggestion, as someone who didn't have eye-popping stats when applying to programs, is to study your butt off and try to increase your GRE scores. Clinical psychology is one of the most competitive graduate fields out there. Anybody who applies to clinical programs needs everything working in their favor.

Building off of what lxwllms said: 

If you go the sociology master's route, I think you should be prepared to really sell how the experience prepared you for psychology. It's one thing to work and things like that before graduate school, but to get a degree in a different discipline seems like a whole different situation. So I guess my advice is to make sure when you apply for clinical programs that you minimize the fact you knew before starting your sociology degree that you had every intention of switching to psychology anyway. The positive I see from the sociology master's is that you will be able to develop relationships with faculty that can write you better letters.

My other suggestion, as someone who didn't have eye-popping stats when applying to programs, is to study your butt off and try to increase your GRE scores. Clinical psychology is one of the most competitive graduate fields out there. Anybody who applies to clinical programs needs everything working in their favor.

I'm not at all super familiar with clinical psychology programs, so take this with a jug of salt. But, I do remember reading on a previous thread that getting a graduate degree in something else (i.e. an MA in sociology) could be and has been read as indeciveness.

Thanks for the input.

I think I'm going to wait until the end of this month before making a final decision. Forgot to mention that I applied to a MS in Gen Psyc program as well, but won't find out if I've been accepted until the end of May. My concerns with this program are limited/nonexisting funds and the program's quality is questionable ( I spoke to a student in the MS Psyc program and she informed me that, with the exception of a few classes, they couldn't take psych classes becayse they were reserved for the doctoral students, so majority of their classes were from other departments). 

But since I know that I want to eventually get a PhD in Clinical Psych, it may be more sensible to stay with the Psychology, even if I have to pay out of pocket and the program is subpar. 

A lot to think about. 

Right now, I'm just going to focus on increasing my GRE scores and getting research experience. I've started emailing psych professors and a local  research hospital to volunteer in their research labs, but no luck or responses so far. I plan on personally visiting the professor, but they may be hesistant accepting me into their research lab since I'm not a current psych major. 

Have any of you had any luck landing a position in a research lab (including volunteer) while out of school/not in the school's psych program? 

Edited by TigerMem

I'm not super familiar with clinical psych programs, but I would echo mb712 posted. While in the sociology program, you will need to be really conscious of your long-term goals in clinical psych. There's a lot of diversity within sociology programs - will you be able to take classes related to your research interests (social psych, soc of education, marriage/family, etc)? Is there a psychology grad program at that university - could you take some of your electives in that department? Are there faculty who would work with you to take a social psych approach? You will need to focus on selling yourself to clinical psych programs, so think about that when taking classes, picking a thesis topic, which conferences you present at, etc. I do think knowing that you want to go into a clinical psych program following your MA will work to your benefit because you can be thinking about these things as soon as you enter. 

One downside I see is that you are probably going to get a very different theoretical background in a sociology program vs. a clinical psych program, as well as maybe missing some of the neuro/bio classes that clinical psych programs sometimes require. This may result in needing to take extra classes when you first enter the clinical psych program in order to "catch up." Granted, I think most people have to repeat these sort of foundational classes if they attend a different PhD program than where they did their MA - even if they stay within the same field. 

From the little bit you typed about the psych MA program you're considering, it really doesn't sound worth it. You have a low chance of being funded and also can't really take the psych classes? PhD programs are going to look at what your prior degree is in, but they're also going to look at your prior graduate training re: specific training and your thesis topic, any RA/TA experience you have. I think you'd be way better off going to the funded soc program if you think you can spin it effectively for your future goals. Also, if you're funded, that may alleviate some financial stress so that you'd have time to volunteer in a research lab. 

A couple ideas:

1) Most schools I applied to only looked at my last 2 years for GPA. So if you don't include those first 2 years where you didn't do as well you might be in the clear GPA-wise (although I'd check and make sure the programs you are interested in only use the last 2 years!)

2) GRE scores are a relatively "easy" (although horribly un-fun)  thing to improve, as other posters have mentioned

3) If your GPA is high enough, I don't see many advantages to a degree in an unrelated area (sociology) or in a program where you won't get much relevant course experience (like the MA psych you described). I know many people who have got a lot of lab experience after their BA (a couple as lab managers which is nice because it's paid, but often has less actual hands on research experience because you deal with a lot of logistics of running the lab like hiring RAs and dealing with money; a few worked in a couple labs to really flesh out skills of interest like working with a certain population AND gaining different statistical skills; one who got a great lab that let her design and run an entire project). So taking a degree just for the sake of it might actually harm you by distracting you from relevant psychology experience. If you're able to fund yourself with a part time job I think you have a great shot at getting a volunteer position!

4) HOWEVER, if you can mold the Sociology degree into one that really fits with your clinical interests it could help you stand out in an application. I would really make sure your research experience is super relevant to clinical though.

After graduating in 2013 with a B.A. in Psychology, I did not continue on to grad school primarily due to the fact that I didn't know what area of psyc I wanted to specialize in (i.e. experimental, school, clinical, etc.). Now, I know I want to get a PhD in Clinical Psychology, with a concentration in child and family(I want to become a Child & Family Psychologist).

However, my numbers aren't that great:

GPA: 3:09 Cum.; 3.79 Major (my cumulative GPA is low bc I goofed off my first 2 years of college (i.e. poor study habits, lack of  direction) )

GRE: 148 Q; 150 V; 4 writing

No research experience

Few letters of rec (didn't take the time to form good relationships with my professors) 

I want to spend this year improving my application so I can start applying for doctorate programs for Fall 2016. Right now, I'm primarily focusing on gaining research experience, but it's difficult doing so not being a current psychology student. I applied and got accepted into a Master's in Sociology program with a full assistantship + stipend for Fall 2015 and I want to volunteer in psyc research labs in the meantime.

Questions:

Does this sound like a bad idea? (I'm worried that Clinical Psyc programs will see my Sociology classes as a conflict; or think I'm indecisive)

Should I try to get into to a Master's in Psychology (school or education psychology)? (i.e. my concern with this is that limited funds are available and if I went this route, then I'd likely have to pay out of pocket for my master's and finances is a HUGE factor in my returning to school)

My apologizes: this post is all over the place.  I made a lot of mistakes throughout my undergrad education by not getting proper guidance, so I'm trying to get all the help I can.

Any advice, general tips/suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

As mentioned before, it can be seen as indecisiveness. You need to tie in the programs with your end goals, and not just look like you're in school for the sake of being in school. 

Clinical Psychology is a hands on field. Do you have any professional work experience? If not, you'd be better getting a psychology masters or a Mental Health Counseling (maybe with a marriage & family concentration) where you will have internship/practicum experiences. Also, work for summer camps/part-time with clients. If your sociology masters provides those experiences, then you may be able to explain why you went with that specific program. 

You have to get some research in there. Preferably, research in your interest area. Be very proactive in talking to professors about this ASAP. I've talked to everyone in my masters program, and no-one is conducting research I can help with. Luckily, with the flexibility, I can do two research-focused independent studies. But that is not ideal. 

As others have said, your scores are not *necessarily* a detriment. They are adequate scores. But you need to strengthen your application with direction, focus and experience. 

Why do you want to get a PhD as opposed to a Master's? Have you considered a Master's in family and marriage counseling? Have you considered a Counseling Psychology PhD program instead of a Clinical? In general, counseling programs are a bit less competitive than clinical. Don't get me wrong it's a PhD program so it is still very competitive, but counseling tends to be just a tad bit less so. 

Since you have the luxury of time, I would re take the GRE. Study hard for it and take lots of practice tests. Also improve other areas of your application. You could contact people in the Psyc department of your previous university and see if they need research assistants. That would also give you a better chance of getting more letters. 

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on a general psyc masters or even a sociology masters if that is not what you want to do. It's too much of a time and money investment for experience that you can gain by being an RA or through other ways. 

Why do you want to get a PhD as opposed to a Master's? Have you considered a Master's in family and marriage counseling? Have you considered a Counseling Psychology PhD program instead of a Clinical? In general, counseling programs are a bit less competitive than clinical. Don't get me wrong it's a PhD program so it is still very competitive, but counseling tends to be just a tad bit less so. 

Since you have the luxury of time, I would re take the GRE. Study hard for it and take lots of practice tests. Also improve other areas of your application. You could contact people in the Psyc department of your previous university and see if they need research assistants. That would also give you a better chance of getting more letters. 

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on a general psyc masters or even a sociology masters if that is not what you want to do. It's too much of a time and money investment for experience that you can gain by being an RA or through other ways. 

My background is in the counseling field  and I considered doing a Master's in Counseling, however my interests lie primarly in research and from my understanding, counseling programs focus more so on 'practice' as opposed to conducting research. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a Counseling Psychology PhD program necessarily,  but my first choice and interests are in Clinical Psychology.

• 1 month later...

I graduated in 2014 with a BA in both psychology and sociology.  I plan on going to Clinical Psychology (adult).  What I can tell you is that ONLY ONE person has cared about my sociology degree.  They only cared because they saw that I was a double major and knew it took effort to do that.  Sociology and psychology are similar, but a MA in that field won't help you that much.  You can talk about how you learned more about statistics or some aspects of research methods, but ultimately, it won't do much.  

I would suggest maybe taking a year or two off and do some post-bac research assistant positions.  I've been working with a professor in my field (who took 3 years off between undergrad and grad school) for less than a year now and I added 3 posters to my CV (2 first authors), a paper, an abstract accepted as an oral presentation at an international conference, a paper under review, and have two papers in the works.  Hopefully by the time I apply, I'll have 4 papers.  I can not express enough how working has helped my application.  I strongly suggest being an RA for a year or two.  

Here's a website that helps you find RA positions and find more about clinical psych application: http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org