NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

Holy crap, will it be tonight?!?!? I had myself mentally prepared for Friday, and now I don't know what to do.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! That's 5 AM my time. Do I pull an all-nighter or set an incredibly early alarm?

Also, my status also says "received." One more piece of evidence for the Troll Theory. 

4 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

Holy crap, will it be tonight?!?!? I had myself mentally prepared for Friday, and now I don't know what to do.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! That's 5 AM my time. Do I pull an all-nighter or set an incredibly early alarm?

Also, my status also says "received." One more piece of evidence for the Troll Theory. 

Judging by your username... guess you're pulling an all-nighter :D

Rule #1 on the internet: Everything you read is probably a lie.

I know I'm not the oldest person floating around on these boards by a long shot, but I might very well been on the internet longer than anyone here (since the early 90s). The above-listed role is the best sage wisdom I can provide. :D Heck, I was a beta tester on Friendster. Friendster. Man, I feel old.

7 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Thanks @Neist, for some reason I really needed that :D

You're welcome! :D 

It might not be tonight, but it very well could be. I think I read one of the older GRFP forums where the maintenance notice went up the day before, but I could be wrong. Given that I have to work tomorrow, I won't be staying up until 5 am (my time). I will, however, be setting my alarm for 5:00 am so I can check it!!!!!

#confessionsofacrazyperson

5 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Judging by your username... guess you're pulling an all-nighter :D

You could very well be right, hahahaha. The username stems from the fact that no matter what coffee I order, I always ask for extra espresso because I always need it.... #confessionsofacoffeeaddict

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'LL BE TONIGHT. Isn't there a Michael Buble song or something with the line "it has to be tonight" or something like that? Or am I going crazy? (That's actually fairly likely.)

Just now, Extra Espresso said:

You could very well be right, hahahaha. The username stems from the fact that no matter what coffee I order, I always ask for extra espresso because I always need it.... #confessionsofacoffeeaddict

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'LL BE TONIGHT. Isn't there a Michael Buble song or something with the line "it has to be tonight" or something like that? Or am I going crazy? (That's actually fairly likely.)

I was thinking more Tonight's...the Night by NKOTB ?

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm going to laugh so hard if we're all just staying up and/or waking up early for normal maintenance that isn't even the release... like, they end up changing the fonts of one of the tiny links at the bottom, or something :P

I would not laugh, but I could totally see that happening!

Hello applicants for the 2017 NSF GRFP! You get to read our collective freak-outs that are recorded on the interwebs for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

(Also, last year the emails were sent out just a few minutes after the end of the maintenance period).  

1 minute ago, kjc said:

I can't decide if I want to stay up or not. On the one hand- the anticipation is killing me. On the other- do I want to ruin a night's sleep for something with a high probability of disappointment? Ugh. 

THIS.

4 minutes ago, chaparral said:

I will not stay up. If its a no, id much rather deal with the disappointment on a good nights sleep.

Same. There really is no benefit. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, oh well. :)

Doesn't change the outcome of me getting it or not. I'm very boring at Christmas. Haha.

I really hope it is tonight. But on the other hand I am on my way up to DC for orientation for the NSF EAPSI fellowship, so I would rather not be in the presence of NSF when I get the news (good or bad). I will definitely be attempting to sleep through the night, but knowing me my body will keep me from sleeping soundly.

Edited by sciaenops

:Last year I decided not to stay up, but my (then) partner who worked nights was going to call me if and only if I got it. So, checking the website and seeing my name, I was called in the middle of the ******* night. So I wake up, heart racing at the possibility of a HUGE raise and scientific freedom, but like the pessimist I am at any hour of the day I said "read to me the exact status you see. Is it Awarded or Honorable Mention?", "Honorable Mention, that means you won right?".... Let this be a lesson folks, if you're going to have someone disturb your precious sleep to tell you good news, make sure they know exactly what they are and are not supposed to call you for. Don't get me wrong, I'm super honored to have gotten an HM but I also really really love sleep. 

If nothing else I hope this provided a laugh in this time of stress, best of luck to everyone tonight in both the NSF outcomes and in getting some sleep at some point! :)

Edited by CaffeinatedCognition

1 minute ago, CaffeinatedCognition said:

:Last year I decided not to stay up, but my (then) partner who worked nights was going to call me if and only if I got it. So, checking the website and seeing my name, I was called in the middle of the ******* night. So I wake up, heart racing at the possibility of a HUGE raise and scientific freedom, but like the pessimist I am at any hour of the day I said "read to me the exact status you see. Is it Awarded or Honorable Mention?", "Honorable Mention, that means you won right?".... Let this be a lesson folks, if you're going to have someone disturb your precious sleep to tell you good news, make sure they know exactly what they are and are not supposed to call you for. Don't get me wrong, I'm super honored to have gotten an HM but I also really really love sleep. 

If nothing else I hope this provided a laugh in this time of stress, best of luck to everyone tonight in both the NSF outcomes and in getting some sleep at some point! :)

Thanks for the laugh! Did you re-apply this year??

10 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCognition said:

I did!! Fingers crossed!! NO ONE is calling me tonight. I'm just going to sleep lol the next day was rough.

Best of luck to you!

No real new info but:

I called them just in case and they just said "around early April". I asked is that just based on the official line (but more nicely) and they said "basically that's the only information I can give you".

Overanalyze away. It's around early April now, but so is the 10th... I'll be awake at 5:55 whether I want to or not.