Schools in Boston area

Does anyone have experience with the schools in the Boston area, I'm thinking U-Mass Amherst, UMass Worcester, and MGH, Boston University, etc.

I'm leaning towards public schools because the financial difference is enormous!  But I wonder how the quality of the education is.  Not sure if this is the right area to post...

I don't know much about the public schools, but I applied to MGH, BU and Emerson and will attend Emerson in the fall- what kinds of things are you wondering? They're definitely not cheap... If you're open to not living in Boston itself, I'd definitely encourage looking at the public schools with both lower tuition AND cost of living.

Sorry to piggyback on your question, but I'd love to hear more opinions on boston schools as well! For example how competitive are those schools compared to everywhere else? 

I believe when I was researching schools last year I looked on asha Edfind and the Boston schools all had 500+ applicants. I crossed those schools off my list pretty fast. 

http://www.asha.org/edfind/ Copy and paste this link to your browser, It has most of the ASHA accredited websites.  It gives listings as to how many people the program accepts, the cost, GRE and GPA requirments, and a whole slew of other things about each individual college.

Hope this helps!

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I am in a very similar position. I got into Northeastern, MGH, UMass Amherst, and Worcester. I live in Boston; however, I am not going to Northeastern and MGH because they are way TOO expensive. I am having a very hard time deciding between Worcester and UMass Amherst- any advice? Worcester is lot cheaper and I could live at home- BUT it is a longer program (graduate in December instead of May).  

20 hours ago, Mari Anna said:

I am in a very similar position. I got into Northeastern, MGH, UMass Amherst, and Worcester. I live in Boston; however, I am not going to Northeastern and MGH because they are way TOO expensive. I am having a very hard time deciding between Worcester and UMass Amherst- any advice? Worcester is lot cheaper and I could live at home- BUT it is a longer program (graduate in December instead of May).  

I have heard really positive things about Worcester from graduates of the program. I feel like UMass and Worcester's programs are pretty comparable, but you would save so much money living at home and going to Worcester, which would be really beneficial in the long run. Plus I think having family support everyday might be nice! Everyone says how stressful graduate school is and I think that living at home would make it a lot easier.

Congrats on all you acceptances!

Thank you! What are some of the positive things you have heard about Worcester's program? I am really leaning towards it because it really is so inexpensive and I'm not trying to be in debt for the rest of my life. Have you decided where you are going?

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be attending Worcester State this summer! I chose this program primarily for the price. I recently attended the admitted students open house and I was very impressed with the clinic and all of the faculty members I met! The GA's who were there also seemed to be very happy with the program which gives me hope! I'm very excited to start at Worcester State! 

• 1 month later...

I am looking to apply to Worcester in the fall, actually! I've been kinda looking for some additional info on it. Do you know anything about what the area is like? Is it a terribly high cost of living out there or not so much because it isn't Boston? I'm from Michigan so I'm not sure. Is there anything else you really liked about the program? :)