2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

I applied to both, but pulled an allnighter to write my project proposal for Janelia since it was my last application. I think it was a little too tangential and outside the scope of the group leaders that I'm interested in, so they might not like it. But, then again, I didn't want to propose something that was just a slight iteration of what the teams there have already published, so I don't know.

20 hours ago, 4eyes said:

Does anyone know roughly how admissions boards perceive Canadian schools like U of Toronto or McGill?

McGill has a really strong neuro undergrad program but I'm unsure where it might stand internationally

No idea, but I DO know that for a friend of mine, McGill is her dream grad school. 

Finally got myself to start work on some final papers (at 2pm today...I've been pretty lazy today) only to check the results section on here and notice that one of my top choices (Penn NGG) started sending interview invites to at least one person on this site. Time to obsessively refresh email...

Did anyone who reads this thread get a Penn interview invite, and if so could you give some more info? Did the email come from an adcom member/program director or from a POI you specified? I haven't gotten anything yet but if the invites came from a POI, I'll be less worried, because I know from an email exchange we had that my POI (Tracy Bale) isn't the fastest at sending out/responding to emails. 

6 minutes ago, den-of-thieves said:

Did anyone who reads this thread get a Penn interview invite, and if so could you give some more info? Did the email come from an adcom member/program director or from a POI you specified? I haven't gotten anything yet but if the invites came from a POI, I'll be less worried, because I know from an email exchange we had that my POI (Tracy Bale) isn't the fastest at sending out/responding to emails. 

My interview for Penn BGS came from the director of the program, not a POI

Edit: but it's more than likely that they send out invites in waves so I wouldn't worry too much right now :)

Edited by jaesango

12 hours ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

My PI was complaining today that the applications he's getting are all shit haha. Don't worry, probably none of you.

Haha! That's good to know considering some people in the other thread were saying they heard some programs had had record application numbers -- I guess quantity doesn't always come with quality. What school are you at?

1 hour ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

Oh wouldn't you like to know. I can't say but I doubt many people here are applying there, and even if they are, they'll definitely be fine.

However, I will say this: I think this message board underestimates the importance of GPA and GRE. Some people might not care as much about those, and they're definitely negotiable to an extent, but people here act like they're used solely as cutoffs then never looked at again. That's not always true, especially if you came from a place with no reputation.

I think the last sentence is the key here. 

29 minutes ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

Did any of you post that Princeton invite by any chance? If so, did you already submit your fall semester grades?

I'm also curious about this Princeton posting. I'll just keep telling myself it's someone trolling...

24 minutes ago, gs1992 said:

Harvard adcom is meeting today at noon (according to their website's calendar), so I'm assuming they'll be sent out later this week.

woah, that's some serious sleuthing.. I'm impressed!

17 minutes ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

One person posted for Harvard on the results page. Could be any time.

Edit: Another Princeton posting. I know it's one of you mofos

I didn't apply to Princeton, so it wasn't me. Actually I haven't heard from any of the neuro programs I applied to.... but I haven't seen anyone post anything about those programs either. Seems like the bio people are hearing back non stop now.

If I hear anything, I'll post it.