2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

1 hour ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

It's looking like a drought for me. Anyone know of programs with late deadlines that I can take one last crack at?

This is how I'm feeling too. I haven't heard back from Vandy, UWashington or UC Denver, but it looks like a lot of other people have :/

applied to only 3 schools this round. I emailed MSU to see what was up

"We have selected 11 applicants to visit East Lansing to interview and you are not among those chosen. There is a possibility that the committee will extend additional invitations if any on the current list decline or cannot attend."

so yeah.

Now waiting on UMass Boston and Cornell's BEN program in Psych 

10 hours ago, bdnf_13.1 said:

i'm not even expecting half of my programs to send invites till january. it's still early. 

That's the thing. I have assumed rejections from four of my six programs, since they already sent out a few waves of invitations. But like yours, the other two (my most likely chances as well) don't tend to send theirs until mid January. This is a pretty bad scenario.

Edited by StrongTackleBacarySagna

Hello everyone, 

Just to add my applications to the list:

Applied: Umich, Duke, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, Princeton, UCLA, Berkeley, Cornell (Psych/BEN), Northwestern, Purdue

Interviews: Vanderbilt, Duke, Wisconsin, Northwestern

Haven't heard from the rest yet, although it's still early in the game. More or less assuming Princeton and Berkeley are no-gos. Duke was probably my top choice, though, so I'm glad other people have the opportunity to interview at those schools :)

12 hours ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

It's looking like a drought for me. Anyone know of programs with late deadlines that I can take one last crack at?

I believe Vanderbilt IGP (no app fee) and Rutgers have deadlines in January. Vanderbilt IGP has given out a few interviews, but it never hurts to apply!

3 minutes ago, ucdguy88 said:

N3UR0 whos lab in the Cornell BEN are you applying to work with?

I listed a couple in my personal statement, but I am most interested in / have corresponded the most with Dr. Cleland. 

Hope this is a different POI than yours!!

Just now, N3UR0 said:

I listed a couple in my personal statement, but I am most interested in / have corresponded the most with Dr. Cleland. 

Hope this is a different POI than yours!!

Totally different PI! Phew lol

So I'm thinking I'm going to email a program to ask about my application status (this program's interview would conflict with one that I was just offered, but I'd rather attend this program's). At a conference I had a conversation with a professor on the adcom and she seemed very excited about me applying there (her former adviser is my current PI). Is it too annoying to email this professor instead of the general "info" email that's listed on the program's website?

1 minute ago, ucdguy88 said:

Totally different PI! Phew lol

hahah okay good! I hope you hear back from them - I'm not expecting them to send out invites until January, though.

Either way, keep me updated if you hear back 

Does anyone have an idea of when WUSTL will be sending out invites? I see on the survey one person reported an interview invite on December 14, but I haven't heard anything else about it, so I'm not sure what to think.

4 minutes ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

Finally an invitation. UC Davis. Get the fuck in. 

There seems to be only one weekend, March 10-11. That or they decide for you.

now you can breathe a little easier!

3 hours ago, Neuro2016 said:

Haven't heard from any of the places I applied to. I think my plan B is to become a hippie and go to the Himalayas.

Probably my plan A at this point...

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 1:47 PM, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

Sorry I don't know about Vanderbilt but I see you also applied to Minnesota. Is your sig up to date on that?

Yup I don't think they send out invites until early jan

I have interviews for Harvard January 21-23, UCLA February 20-22, and MIT March 10-12. Still waiting to hear back from Columbia! 

Congrats to everyone receiving invites and good luck to those waiting, there is still plenty of time!