2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

25 minutes ago, neuronkat said:

I have interviews for Harvard January 21-23, UCLA February 20-22, and MIT March 10-12. Still waiting to hear back from Columbia! 

Congrats to everyone receiving invites and good luck to those waiting, there is still plenty of time!

Congrats on all those schools! I heard back from MIT today from my POI and was quite excited. I'm not sure if all the Columbia invites went out, but a bunch of students reported getting emails this weekend.

1 minute ago, Micecroscopy said:

Congrats on all those schools! I heard back from MIT today from my POI and was quite excited. I'm not sure if all the Columbia invites went out, but a bunch of students reported getting emails this weekend.

Congrats to you too! I missed the call from MIT and almost didn't listen to the voicemail because I assumed Dr.'s office. Glad I checked it, see you there!

4 hours ago, neuronkat said:

Congrats to you too! I missed the call from MIT and almost didn't listen to the voicemail because I assumed Dr.'s office. Glad I checked it, see you there!

I assumed it was the dentist! I'll also see you at Harvard on the 21-24th.

Does anyone know when JHU neuro is planning on sending out invitations? I assume since no one has posted anything on the survey that they won't send anything out until January...but I know that last year invites were sent out around this time. Also, to anyone applying to UCSF neuro, I sent an email and they said that they won't be sending anything out until the first week of January.

Another note: Vanderbilt NGP sent out only one round of invitations. I think another round may go out after the holidays.

13 hours ago, neuronkat said:

Is this for MIT Biology or BCS? I got an email from BCS saying they'd announce interviews in Jan but the whole thing is a little cloak and daggerish.

2 hours ago, Superres said:

Does anyone know when JHU neuro is planning on sending out invitations? I assume since no one has posted anything on the survey that they won't send anything out until January...but I know that last year invites were sent out around this time. Also, to anyone applying to UCSF neuro, I sent an email and they said that they won't be sending anything out until the first week of January.

Another note: Vanderbilt NGP sent out only one round of invitations. I think another round may go out after the holidays.

It looks like JHU started sending out results today. Interviews are February 16–19th.

40 minutes ago, wookiee_and_the_vet said:

Is this for MIT Biology or BCS? I got an email from BCS saying they'd announce interviews in Jan but the whole thing is a little cloak and daggerish.

Mine was for BCS. I also got the same email that said we wouldn't hear until January so I was surprised. The call came from a professor I mentioned in my SOP and she confirmed that the email would be later. I'm not sure if everyone received a call or not.

14 minutes ago, Micecroscopy said:

Mine was for BCS. I also got the same email that said we wouldn't hear until January so I was surprised. The call came from a professor I mentioned in my SOP and she confirmed that the email would be later. I'm not sure if everyone received a call or not.

That's what's confusing me as well. I'm secretly hoping that my POI just didn't call me and is waiting for the official email to go out in January. In reality, though, my hopes have gone down to almost 0.

I just want them to send me a rejection email so I can stop thinking about it.

Congrats to everyone that got an interview.

Edited by EveryDay
added info

17 minutes ago, EveryDay said:

That's what's confusing me as well. I'm secretly hoping that my POI just didn't call me and is waiting for the official email to go out in January. In reality, though, my hopes have gone down to almost 0.

Agree 10000%

2 hours ago, EveryDay said:

Well BCS seems different in the sense that you had to specify readers for your application, rather than it being just a straight up adcom. It's possible that readers have until January to look them over but some have done so earlier than others. That's my theory for why I haven't heard yet...the first stage is denial.

23 minutes ago, gs1992 said:

Well BCS seems different in the sense that you had to specify readers for your application, rather than it being just a straight up adcom. It's possible that readers have until January to look them over but some have done so earlier than others. That's my theory for why I haven't heard yet...the first stage is denial.

denial -> hope(!) -> check for new emails -> dismay -> denial 

@Superres Where'd you get the info about Vandy NGP!? Appreciate it, give me a little hope!

Looking for some input. I was just promoted at work today for a product development scientist position and am wondering if I should contact every school to notify them of this? Should I email the admissions/program office? Call them? Send an updated CV/Resume to each school? Or would that be negligible at this point in the process?

5 hours ago, Micecroscopy said:

It looks like JHU started sending out results today. Interviews are February 16–19th.

haha ya I got an email today...if only I had waited a couple of hours, I could have answered my own question.

Edited by Superres

55 minutes ago, LWT said:

@Superres Where'd you get the info about Vandy NGP!? Appreciate it, give me a little hope!

Looking for some input. I was just promoted at work today for a product development scientist position and am wondering if I should contact every school to notify them of this? Should I email the admissions/program office? Call them? Send an updated CV/Resume to each school? Or would that be negligible at this point in the process?

I sent an email to the director of graduate studies and he told me that the first round of invitations went out, but another round was likely to go out soon! I'm assuming after the holidays.

On 12/16/2015 at 0:54 AM, kokobanana said:

Three princeton neuro invites on the survey - congrats to you mystery people! ;)

Now reveal yourselves!

On 12/17/2015 at 9:31 PM, Micecroscopy said:

I've seen some Princeton results on the survey, but no one here as posted about them, right?

Hello, it's me.. ;)

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I've been lurking for weeks now! I thought I should finally speak up. Anyway, this thread has been really great! I hope I get to meet some of you at the interviews :).

On 12/19/2015 at 9:35 AM, Micecroscopy said:

I got an invite from NYU this evening

Interviews are on Thursday and Friday, January 28-29 or Thursday and Friday, February 11-12

@Micecroscopy Was the invite official or POI?

Edited by SR

2 minutes ago, watsonthatcucumberpatch said:

I got an official email invite from NYU (Neural Sciences PhD program)

When did you receive this? hoping for another wave of invites

Just now, watsonthatcucumberpatch said:

Sorry, should've mentioned that. I got this on the 18th.

Well then, really hoping for another wave of invites, hahaha. congrats!

6 hours ago, Purkinje said:

NYU is my number 1 choice. I'm also praying for another round. 

Same here, seems like not a lot of people got invites. Here's hoping there's another round. Best of luck.