2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

4 minutes ago, neuro_queen said:

This may have been asked already, sorry! However, for those who have been invited for interviews have you noticed your application status change online? Two of my applications still only say "submitted" and it is making me feel like they dismissed my application immediately. Thanks.

Out of the six interviews I got, none of them have updated my status on the application form.

Just now, gs1992 said:

Out of the six interviews I got, none of them have updated my status on the application form.

This makes me feel that there may be some hope. The two that have not updated my application status are the two "reach" programs and that is building on the anxiety of waiting! Congrats on the interviews!

Do any of you know if the following schools are kinda done with invites?
Brown?

UW? (guessing yes cause interview is like first week of Feb)

Princeton?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, gs1992 said:

I emailed UW before the holidays and they told me I didn't get an interview so I'm assuming they're done. Also assuming Princeton is done because their interview is 1/28. 

Thank you @gs1992 I am going to go plant a lillie for the death of my hope :(

I can't bring myself to email UW but obviously same answer

Edited by proton
more info

On 1/7/2016 at 7:59 AM, brainsandeggs said:

Congrats!! 

Damn! Thats awesome congrats! I was hoping for that one :( but this is the time to get up off my butt and stop waiting for phone calls and start studying for interviews I did get - feeling grateful regardless :o 

Haha, what's your study technique? One abstract per PI?

16 minutes ago, Infinito said:

Haha, what's your study technique? One abstract per PI?

Well I was going to do several papers per PI and then make sure all the technical details of my own research are completely in my memory so I don't forget something obvious when i'm sitting there all nervous but I'm not sure how much preparation is necessary - anyone who has interviewed before have any perspective on how detailed we need to get for this stuff? I posted something on the other thread but any neuro-specific advice would be welcomed! 

What is your plan if I may ask? 

18 minutes ago, brainsandeggs said:

Well I was going to do several papers per PI and then make sure all the technical details of my own research are completely in my memory so I don't forget something obvious when i'm sitting there all nervous but I'm not sure how much preparation is necessary - anyone who has interviewed before have any perspective on how detailed we need to get for this stuff? I posted something on the other thread but any neuro-specific advice would be welcomed! 

What is your plan if I may ask? 

I mean I have 7 places so far to interview. They're all back to back. I get 2-3 days in between them. And I won't know who I'll be interviewing with until about a week to two days until the interview, or in some cases not until the day of the interview! Therefore, my main task is to simply put down my experiences into vivid, detailed memory; to succinctly explain what I want to research at X school and why; and to know a brief description of my POI's work so that the interview is about me asking more questions and them doing most of the talking.

2 hours ago, proton said:

Do any of you know if the following schools are kinda done with invites?
Brown?

Uwash? (guessing yes cause interview is like first week of Feb)

Princeton?

Thanks!

I got a brown invite before Christmas if that helps....a couple others did as well according to the survey if I remember correctly

hope this helps

47 minutes ago, proton said:

@Edotdl I applied to CNS too! I just creeped and in years past it looked like people heard around 1/15

Cool! Yeah, I saw. I've actually compiled a list of all the previous  interview invite and interview visit dates for all my programs to predict this year's dates based on them...

4 minutes ago, Micecroscopy said:

Just got an invite to UCSF Neuro! Now I've finally heard back from all the programs I applied to.

Congrats! Official email? Still nothing here :/

Edited by Edotdl

8 minutes ago, Edotdl said:

Thanks. Guess I'll wait till the end of the day.

Yeah I am especially invested in UCSF as well. Crossing fingers that our suspense will be relieved soon. 

5 minutes ago, airchina said:

Yeah I am especially invested in UCSF as well. Crossing fingers that our suspense will be relieved soon. 

Got it!!!! 3:11 EST, guess there's some delay.

Side note: My interview date predictions were correct too :P

Edited by Edotdl

alsoo did anyone else apply to Caltech? no one has posted any interview invites yet

Same here... no response from Caltech...

Is there anyone waiting for UCLA? I'm losing hope since it's the end of the week, which seems like when invites are out judging from previous years. But only one post in result page so...

1 minute ago, BenDog said:

Same here... no response from Caltech...

Is there anyone waiting for UCLA? I'm losing hope since it's the end of the week, which seems like when invites are out judging from previous years. But only one post in result page so...

A general trend I've been seeing is that interview invites are coming out later, in general and compared to last year, probably due to more and more applications. If other people haven't heard back yet, most likely they're just a bit slower this year.

11 minutes ago, Edotdl said:

A general trend I've been seeing is that interview invites are coming out later, in general and compared to last year, probably due to more and more applications. If other people haven't heard back yet, most likely they're just a bit slower this year.

Well you are the expert so I guess I'd better believe in you. Thanks for the comforting insight! :)

on the other hand that just means more time in waiting and anxiety... never hate weekends like this before...

Edited by BenDog

thanks @bdnf_13.1 ! by email? I did see that too-some were from the joint NIH program

They called me first and then emailed me right after we finished talking. It was just a quick call, not a phone interview. This was not for the NIH joint program.