2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

@MADneuro I think that in regards to them, you have a sensible interest. The M/W lab would be a great opportunity, as there is a large amount of significant work being done there. They SEEM to be moving close to pain and inflammation treatments. So far, I have sat in on a few seminars. My impression is that there are some brilliant scientists there, and of course Boulder is great. My only concern is the direct-to-lab admittance style (probably because it's under a psychology dept. umbrella). Rather, I would prefer rotations where one gets to know multiple lab's personnel, projects, and mentors more thoroughly. Though, if it fits, it fits. Hoping for an 'official' visit and interview to get a more clear picture of the resources and curriculum.

There seems to be a decent number of people who have received invites, judging by the survey, so not sure if there will be that many spots left. However, their RSVP date is 3/4 so maybe there's more to come. I'd probably wait till the end of next week before assuming their done/call/etc.

3 hours ago, LWT said:

Looks like lots of Minnesota invites went out...@StrongTackleBacarySagna I'm assuming it was an email from admissions rather than a specific POI? Multiple interview weekends or only the one?

@proton was there only one vandy interview weekend?

hi! so the email from the adcom said verbatim "the dates for the interview weekend are febuary 4th and 5th". If I get a follow up email soon I will try to figure out if there is only one!

On 1/5/2016 at 7:21 PM, majorlurker said:

Just got Yale Neuro :D

Congrats!! 

17 hours ago, Micecroscopy said:

I got one of the invites for Stanford neuro. I got a phone call from someone in admissions and she said she'd follow up with an email, but I haven't received that yet.

I got the email a few minutes after posting

Damn! Thats awesome congrats! I was hoping for that one :( but this is the time to get up off my butt and stop waiting for phone calls and start studying for interviews I did get - feeling grateful regardless :o 

17 minutes ago, wookiee_and_the_vet said:

Got a Stanford neuro invite! Interviews are 3/2-3/5. One of the professors in the program emailed me yesterday and I had a call this morning to confirm.

Congrats!

I just looked at my application status and it still says it is incomplete (That they didn't get my official GRE scores, even though I have a receipt from ETS sending it). But apparently reviewers can review apps without that anyway. Oh well, might be a bittersweet but happy thing to get rejected from Stanford since living there would be a stretch on the stipend, lol.

Edited by Infinito

2 hours ago, wookiee_and_the_vet said:

Got a Stanford neuro invite! Interviews are 3/2-3/5. One of the professors in the program emailed me yesterday and I had a call this morning to confirm.

Did your email also ask about your "level of commitment" to Stanford? I know Stanford is a wonderful place—and maybe my top choice if I get accepted— though that seemed like a hard question to answer without sounding like you're just sucking up to them.

4 hours ago, tbaran said:

Do you guys think all Stanford Neuro interview invites are out by now? Would there be more invites by the end of the week?

I just got the Stanford invite less than an hour ago- it was a mail from a professor not listed in my SOP (official mail to follow). I'm guessing it depends on which professor is in charge of which set of applications, so maybe there's hope till the end of the week? 

1 hour ago, watsonthatcucumberpatch said:

I just got the Stanford invite less than an hour ago- it was a mail from a professor not listed in my SOP (official mail to follow). I'm guessing it depends on which professor is in charge of which set of applications, so maybe there's hope till the end of the week? 

Congratulations!

10 minutes ago, Edotdl said:

Anyone else waiting on UCSF? They came out this week last year. 

I'm waiting on UCSF Neuro. I got an e-mail from the coordinator saying that they would send invites the first week of January, so yeah this week. They have met to discuss applicants already. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow. 

41 minutes ago, airchina said:

I'm waiting on UCSF Neuro. I got an e-mail from the coordinator saying that they would send invites the first week of January, so yeah this week. They have met to discuss applicants already. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow. 

Did you send an email first? I didn't get any saying that. I 

4 hours ago, Micecroscopy said:

Did your email also ask about your "level of commitment" to Stanford? I know Stanford is a wonderful place—and maybe my top choice if I get accepted— though that seemed like a hard question to answer without sounding like you're just sucking up to them.

Hm that's interesting. Fortunately no -- the email just said something like, "have some good news for you," and then asked about times I could take a phone call. I'm with you on this one though, it might be my top choice but I'd like to go on interviews before thinking about that.

See you there in March!

1 hour ago, Micecroscopy said:

Maybe we'll hear tomorrow!

I emailed UCSF earlier in the week and they said they would be sending out invites either at the end of this week or early next week! 

This may have been asked already, sorry! However, for those who have been invited for interviews have you noticed your application status change online? Two of my applications still only say "submitted" and it is making me feel like they dismissed my application immediately. Thanks.