2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

14 minutes ago, bdnf_13.1 said:

Thanks, was it from a POI or was it a mass email that went out?

It was from a professor on the adcom (not a POI of mine) and definitely not a mass email. A mass email did go out later from the program coordinator about travel information.

I heard back from USC Neuro yesterday; interview weekend is Feb. 11-14th, but they said they had interviews the second, third, and final weekend of Feb. Is anyone particularly fond of the USC Neuro program?

1 hour ago, jargs said:

I heard back from USC Neuro yesterday; interview weekend is Feb. 11-14th, but they said they had interviews the second, third, and final weekend of Feb. Is anyone particularly fond of the USC Neuro program?

That's quite a few weekends, didn't realize they were a large program or are they just offering flexibility?

I'm actually really like their program, and applied, lots of POIs' research I could see myself doing. 

1 hour ago, jargs said:

That's quite a few weekends, didn't realize they were a large program or are they just offering flexibility?

I'm actually really like their program, and applied, lots of POIs' research I could see myself doing. 

1 hour ago, jargs said:

1 hour ago, jargs said:

Just now, Yav Friendly said:

How you know it is official?

I received an email from them directly saying that they appreciated the interest and unfortunately have not been offered an interview.

Is there any hope left if I have not received any interview requests yet?

I applied to six neuroscience PhD programs and have so far received two rejections.

In alphabetical order, the schools where my applications are still outstanding are:  UCLA, UCSD, USC, Yale

I think at least UCLA and Yale are past the point of inviting people for interviews, and now some posts here have made me think I may have missed the boat for UCSD and USC also. Did I really apply to six schools and get no interviews? I can't believe this is happening.

I've moved recently and need to update my postal address, but I have a hard time imagining that any school is sending interview invitations by postal mail.

Has anyone gotten an official rejection from one of these schools?

Edited by AllThingsBrain

1 hour ago, AllThingsBrain said:

I applied to six neuroscience PhD programs and have so far received two rejections.

In alphabetical order, the schools where my applications are still outstanding are:  UCLA, UCSD, USC, Yale

I think at least UCLA and Yale are past the point of inviting people for interviews, and now some posts here have made me think I may have missed the boat for UCSD and USC also. Did I really apply to six schools and get no interviews? I can't believe this is happening.

I've moved recently and need to update my postal address, but I have a hard time imagining that any school is sending interview invitations by postal mail.

Yale BBS at least has finished sending invites

16 hours ago, AllThingsBrain said:

Are you an international student? Just emailed UCLA last Wednesday and they say the admission committee is still reviewing applications for international students, so I guess I'll hold up a (false) hope for another week... Wish all of us best luck!!

On 1/17/2016 at 10:13 AM, BenDog said:

Are you an international student? Just emailed UCLA last Wednesday and they say the admission committee is still reviewing applications for international students, so I guess I'll hold up a (false) hope for another week... Wish all of us best luck!!

I think he's right, International applicants are notified later than domestic ones, most likely. In fact even Yales website said something of the order of

" Applicants in the U.S. and Canada who are considered for admission will be invited for all-expenses paid on-campus interviews taking place in February.   Invitations to attend our recruiting weekends will be made by phone or email beginning in early January. International applicants who are considered for admission will be interviewed by phone in February and March."

Then again, some int'l applicants have heard back from programs, so it's all looking a little dicey right now !

Anyone no the pros and cons between Harvard PiN and MIT BCS ? I understand your experience is dependent on your advisor and that deciding between these two institutions is like splitting hairs. Just looking for opinions or major differences between the two programs. Thank you !

On 1/17/2016 at 11:13 AM, BenDog said:

Alas, not an international student here. :( This is not looking promising at all. USC and UCSD are the schools I have been holding out hope for since they did not publish their interview timelines. I don't know if it's possible USC is sending interview invitations in batches or if I could somehow be on a waiting list somewhere. Otherwise, it seems like they should just send out rejections at the same time as the interview requests. This is like a bad dream.

13 hours ago, raisinbrain said:

Anyone no the pros and cons between Harvard PiN and MIT BCS ? I understand your experience is dependent on your advisor and that deciding between these two institutions is like splitting hairs. Just looking for opinions or major differences between the two programs. Thank you !

Maybe wait until you visit or get into both first? Also, the two programs have quite different faculty and culture, so I think deciding between them may not be as hard for some people as you might think.

A question about small computational neuroscience community. It looks like there is a chance I may get into computational neuroscience research in Weill Cornell. It certainly is not one of the top computational neuroscience communities such as Columbia, NYU and Princeton nearby. But I think their faculties are excellent, too. Anyone has some comment on what the outcome would be? And since it is located in NYC, would you expect some practical collaboration experiences in nearby larger communities?

Edited by AngryRobot!

45 minutes ago, AngryRobot! said:

A question about small computational neuroscience community. It looks like there is a chance I may get into computational neuroscience research in Weill Cornell. It certainly is not one of the top computational neuroscience communities such as Columbia, NYU and Princeton nearby. But I think their faculties are excellent, too. Anyone has some comment on what the outcome would be? And since it is located in NYC, would you expect some practical collaboration experiences in nearby larger communities?

I work in computational neuroscience in NYC, and, while I think it would be possible to collaborate with NYU or Columbia if you really put in the effort, I don't think it's something that happens all too often. In fact, I didn't even realize there were computational neuroscientists at Weill Cornell, but that could just be my ignorance.

Hi everyone!! 

I'm new here but have been reading threads for a while now. It's good to know we're not alone during this period of anxiety and stress ☺️.

does anybody know if international students heard from mt. Sinai and/or NYU???

5 hours ago, Sonic16 said:

Hi everyone!! 

I'm new here but have been reading threads for a while now. It's good to know we're not alone during this period of anxiety and stress ☺️.

does anybody know if international students heard from mt. Sinai and/or NYU???

I'm an international student and I received invitation from Mt. Sinai pretty early (around first week of Dec). Though I'm a current student here at Sinai I don't think that's affecting the date of receiving invitations, and I've seen others posting their invitation around the same time.

That being said, I think Mt. Sinai has done sending invitations, since the interview weekend is pretty close too (earliest one being this Thursday).