2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

15 hours ago, Micecroscopy said:

Congratulations! Did you get into PiN?

I heard today and was quite relieved!

1 hour ago, Bioeng123 said:

Got accepted to Harvard PiN last night with a phone call at 10 PM EST lol

Yep, I heard yesterday too! I'm extremely relieved and grateful. It's been a long journey to this point, but I realize that in many ways, it's just the beginning of a new journey!

Time to recharge and go to the next interview!

7 hours ago, neuroVg said:

Have any of you heard from Stony Brook?

I applied to their integrative neuroscience but have not heard from them. I emailed their graduate coordinator a few days ago and she said the quickest way to find out if interviews have been sent out is to directly contact professors. I haven't done this yet, kind of putting it off.

Has anyone heard from University of Oregon cognitive neuroscience?

Edited by passenger47

On 1/28/2016 at 4:21 PM, northernchild said:

so UC Berkeley told me last night that they could not offer me an invite for neuroscience but that I would be a great candidate for their vision science program. My interest is studying visual perception in psychiatric populations via neuroimaging so I'm not totally surprised. Since they transferred my application to vision science, I got an invite today. Questions: 1) is this normal/worth it? 2) does anyone know how different the programs are in terms of classes, funding, etc.? 3) is it better based on my interests to go into vision science at UC Berkeley (if admitted) or wait another year to try for neuroscience? 

I'm just a little skeptical about the whole situation...

First off, congratulations!!

Second, I would definitely investigate funding since that can vary from program to program. And I would see the flexibility of the program, like could you still take neuroscience classes and work in the neuro labs you are interested in? 

IMO, I would take the invite and check out the program. People who work as neuroscientists get all sort of degree titles but that doesn't make them any less a neuroscientist. Considering the money you spent to apply to places and the prospect of taking another year to apply, do you personally find it worth it? Personally, I don't think so. If you end up liking the program and get to do the work you want while getting paid, I think you should go for it! I think it is fairly normal and totally worth at the very least checking it out. this is uc berkeley after all!!

28 minutes ago, nebulasector7 said:

First off, congratulations!!

Second, I would definitely investigate funding since that can vary from program to program. And I would see the flexibility of the program, like could you still take neuroscience classes and work in the neuro labs you are interested in? 

IMO, I would take the invite and check out the program. People who work as neuroscientists get all sort of degree titles but that doesn't make them any less a neuroscientist. Considering the money you spent to apply to places and the prospect of taking another year to apply, do you personally find it worth it? Personally, I don't think so. If you end up liking the program and get to do the work you want while getting paid, I think you should go for it! I think it is fairly normal and totally worth at the very least checking it out. this is uc berkeley after all!!

Thanks for the advice! I accepted the invite right away because the trip is fully paid for(!), and based on their webpage it's fully funded and gives a stipend (just a matter of how much). I also felt a lot better after looking at the faculty list, which includes almost all of the labs I was interested in. I'm very excited, but it just felt a little too good to be true for being rejected from the neuro side.

28 minutes ago, proton said:

where is everyoneee

Everything has been pretty silent I guess. I'm thinking of emailing a couple schools that I never heard back from to see my status. Probably got rejected since interviews are out but I don't have much to lose lol

Has Harvard PiN sent out any rejections so far? I'm still waiting on them and just curious where I stand. Hoping to hear something as the acceptances go out.

11 hours ago, dvwz said:

Has Harvard PiN sent out any rejections so far? I'm still waiting on them and just curious where I stand. Hoping to hear something as the acceptances go out.

All the acceptances already went out, I believe, but you could contact Karen to confirm.

13 hours ago, dvwz said:

They also only interview in January so if you didn't get an interview invitation, then you basically know