2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

I am also waiting on UCSD! There is still a flicker of light for WashU but I know the odds are against me.

for Vanderbilt-- I got interview email from director of neuroscience but have not received the official email yet (they said in the new year) so I wouldn't give up hope for there!

20 hours ago, neuronerd2016 said:

Hi guys, I just posted this on the life sciences page so sorry if this is a repeat! I've seen a couple people mention that they have Harvard interviews- is it for PiN (I know this is a neuro post but I just want to confirm). I know they say on their website they will notify in late December so I've basically given up now. In addition, anyone heard back from Berkley neuro or Stanford biosciences (neuro)?

If this helps anyone, I've heard back from Columbia, UVA, Emory, Penn, Mt Sinai, UCLA and UCSF.

Thanks for the interview invite info -- I wasn't aware that UCSF had delivered any invites yet - what date did you receive? 

Just for anyone curious about UCSF, I e-mailed the administrator before holidays about something unrelated. In addition to her response to my question, she added that applications would be reviewed after holidays, and interview most invites would go out early January (with exceptions I am guessing). 

9 minutes ago, Micecroscopy said:

Got mine today! See you there

Nice! Bit dissapointed they only reimburse $300 for airfare though. 

Also, to all the MIT BCS people what track are you? I listed computation (then systems and cognitive). 

2 hours ago, Edotdl said:

Nice! Bit dissapointed they only reimburse $300 for airfare though. 

Also, to all the MIT BCS people what track are you? I listed computation (then systems and cognitive). 

Hmm that's a lot less than other places I've gotten interviews at. But maybe if you use their travel people it might be cheaper or they'll be more likely to reimburse it? Luckily I'm probably just going to take a bus or train there. I put systems as my top choice.

On 12/30/2015 at 8:50 PM, Micecroscopy said:

Hmm that's a lot less than other places I've gotten interviews at. But maybe if you use their travel people it might be cheaper or they'll be more likely to reimburse it? Luckily I'm probably just going to take a bus or train there. I put systems as my top choice.

Hi MIT BCS people! I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

I'm curious, when did you submit your application? I submitted mine on Dec. 1 and have a small speck of hope that is the reason it is taking longer. 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, optogent said:

Hi MIT BCS people! I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

I'm curious, when did you submit your application? I submitted mine on Dec. 1 and have a small speck of hope that is the reason it is taking longer. 

Thanks!

I don't remember when I submitted my application for MIT, but I submitted all of mine within a week of their deadlines on Dec. 1st. I don't know if other schools do it the same way, but MIT was the only one where we had to specify faculty readers, so maybe it's taking some faculty longer than others to read the applications? Or they could have received more applications to read. I got a call from the professor I put down first in the list of faculty readers. The call from that professor and the official email I received both came later for me than for Edotdl or other people on the survey. The email they sent us after we submitted our application said we wouldn't hear until January, so maybe you'll hear next week!

10 hours ago, Micecroscopy said:

I don't remember when I submitted my application for MIT, but I submitted all of mine within a week of their deadlines on Dec. 1st. I don't know if other schools do it the same way, but MIT was the only one where we had to specify faculty readers, so maybe it's taking some faculty longer than others to read the applications? Or they could have received more applications to read. I got a call from the professor I put down first in the list of faculty readers. The call from that professor and the official email I received both came later for me than for Edotdl or other people on the survey. The email they sent us after we submitted our application said we wouldn't hear until January, so maybe you'll hear next week!

Thanks for the encouraging words Micecroscopy, and congrats! I'd rather believe that MIT BCS is over though. Much better than getting my hopes up and having it dashed again..

Also, happy new year everyone!

Edited by watsonthatcucumberpatch

On 12/31/2015 at 0:02 PM, Micecroscopy said:

That's a keen observation, thanks Micecroscopy!

I'm a little optimistic for this coming week, but I'll try not to be too hard on myself if it doesn't work out. 

16 minutes ago, bdnf_13.1 said:

NYU people- are you all hearing from the Neural Science or Neuroscience and Physiology program?

They're combined programs now and the interviews are combined. I know that the adcom is combined as well. For what it's worth though, I heard from Neural Science.

Edited by gs1992

2 hours ago, gs1992 said:

They're combined programs now and the interviews are combined. I know that the adcom is combined as well. For what it's worth though, I heard from Neural Science.

This is sad for me, no invite from NYU :( Last year the neural sciences ones came out first week of January, but I guess that was before they combined the adcoms and whatnot? 

10 minutes ago, brainsandeggs said:

This is sad for me, no invite from NYU :( Last year the neural sciences ones came out first week of January, but I guess that was before they combined the adcoms and whatnot? 

I think they combined adcoms before then. And I believe NYU just opened up today post-holidays. Prayers up

Hey peeps -- especially those of you interviewing at penn

In their email, note that they say "Pack warm clothes: hats, gloves, coats, warm boots will be needed since you'll be walking outside across campus for interviews. Dress is casual--no suits expected or required."

I found that kind of odd and I got in touch with someone in admissions. This person said "As for your dress – lots of people end up in suits anyway...  We just like to make it clear that if people are choosing warmth/comfort over business attire it is fine."

Just wanted to let people know (it seems to me at least) that they aren't suggesting jeans and a sweater, rather pointing out that it's silly to wear only a suit and dress shoes if it's 20° with 6 inches of snow on the ground.

1 hour ago, Fleet Fox said:

Hey peeps -- especially those of you interviewing at penn

In their email, note that they say "Pack warm clothes: hats, gloves, coats, warm boots will be needed since you'll be walking outside across campus for interviews. Dress is casual--no suits expected or required."

I found that kind of odd and I got in touch with someone in admissions. This person said "As for your dress – lots of people end up in suits anyway...  We just like to make it clear that if people are choosing warmth/comfort over business attire it is fine."

Just wanted to let people know (it seems to me at least) that they aren't suggesting jeans and a sweater, rather pointing out that it's silly to wear only a suit and dress shoes if it's 20° with 6 inches of snow on the ground.

Thanks! I was wondering about that.