Boston College SSW, Fall 2016

Hi all! I will be attending BC in the fall and just wanted to reach out to anyone else who will potentially be going there as well. Please feel free to share any info you want about yourself, such as where you are from or what you are interested in studying.

I am interested in focusing on developmental trauma (specifically the impact child abuse and neglect has on adolescents and adults), eating disorders, and intimate relationships. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and have lived on the East Coast for over ten years, when I moved out here for college. I have lived in Boston for the past 3.5 years so if anyone has any questions about living here, perhaps I can help. :)

Best,

Kate

Hey! When/how did you hear from BC? I'm actually a student here now and will start an MSW program in the Fall. I applied to BC and haven't heard back yet! I also want to study trauma (domestic violence & sex trafficking)! 

If you have any questions about the school specifically, I'd be happy to answer them :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joy418! I actually found out unusually early because I got an offer from another school that I had to respond to ASAP so the admissions dean agreed to review my application in late December, which was really nice of him because he was on vacation. He emailed me back with an offer on December 31st. I received a more official email from the school in late January, and then received the packet a few days ago.

Looks like since the time of your post, you were accepted to BC! Congrats! Do you know if you'll be attending? That's cool that we have similar interests. :)

19 hours ago, KatePurpleOrchids said:

Hi Joy418! I actually found out unusually early because I got an offer from another school that I had to respond to ASAP so the admissions dean agreed to review my application in late December, which was really nice of him because he was on vacation. He emailed me back with an offer on December 31st. I received a more official email from the school in late January, and then received the packet a few days ago.

Looks like since the time of your post, you were accepted to BC! Congrats! Do you know if you'll be attending? That's cool that we have similar interests. :)

I'm still waiting on my scholarship offer! But I probably won't attend. It's such a good school and I really love it here, but after 4 years I think I"m ready for something different.

Does anyone know how competitive graduate assistantships are at BC (both at the GSSW and other departments)? I'm considering BC if I'm able to get a GA to avoid getting into too much debt, but I believe this process starts in March specifically for the GSSW at BC and my tuition deposit is due by the end of this month.

1 hour ago, morningjunky said:

Does anyone know how competitive graduate assistantships are at BC (both at the GSSW and other departments)? I'm considering BC if I'm able to get a GA to avoid getting into too much debt, but I believe this process starts in March specifically for the GSSW at BC and my tuition deposit is due by the end of this month.

From what I've heard, you probably won't know you've gotten a GA until you've already committed, might not even be until this summer. So that's annoying. However, there are a variety of positions available. I know of GAs at the Women's Resource Center, Montserrat Coalition (organization for low income students), and BC Neighborhood Center. I'm sure there are more. I'm not sure how competitive they are, but the sooner you contact them, the better (I'm sure). 

• 2 weeks later...

On January 26, 2016 at 4:22 PM, KatePurpleOrchids said:

Hi all! I will be attending BC in the fall and just wanted to reach out to anyone else who will potentially be going there as well. Please feel free to share any info you want about yourself, such as where you are from or what you are interested in studying.

I am interested in focusing on developmental trauma (specifically the impact child abuse and neglect has on adolescents and adults), eating disorders, and intimate relationships. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and have lived on the East Coast for over ten years, when I moved out here for college. I have lived in Boston for the past 3.5 years so if anyone has any questions about living here, perhaps I can help. :)

Best,

Kate

I just sent in my tuition deposit to BC and am pretty certain I will be attending (just waiting on Hunter as it's in-state and could potentially be cheaper if offered funding).

Kate, I'm looking at studios in Boston. I've heard that Allston/Brighton is relatively affordable for students, but can be quite rowdy and boisterous? Is this manageable or is it the point where undergrads stumble home drunk at midnight, loiter and yell sort of thing? Can you suggest other neighborhoods that are relatively affordable? I looked at Cambridge, but the commute seems quite long (a bus to the subway). Since we only have class one or two days a week, I figure living a little farther away from BC is fine in order to save money. Thanks so much!

Is anyone else considering BC or committed yet?

7 minutes ago, morningjunky said:

I just sent in my tuition deposit to BC and am pretty certain I will be attending (just waiting on Hunter as it's in-state and could potentially be cheaper if offered funding).

Kate, I'm looking at studios in Boston. I've heard that Allston/Brighton is relatively affordable for students, but can be quite rowdy and boisterous? Is this manageable or is it the point where undergrads stumble home drunk at midnight, loiter and yell sort of thing? Can you suggest other neighborhoods that are relatively affordable? I looked at Cambridge, but the commute seems quite long (a bus to the subway). Since we only have class one or two days a week, I figure living a little farther away from BC is fine in order to save money. Thanks so much!

Is anyone else considering BC or committed yet?

Congrats, @morningjunky! That's exciting!

I can't tell you much more about Allston/Brighton other than what it sounds like you already know--a lot of students live there, it's convenient to BC, and it's relatively affordable. Citydata.com could be a good forum to browse for more info on the environment. BC is unfortunately not super accessible unless you are on the Green Line (which is the benefit of Allston/Brighton). It's doable from other neighborhoods, but it will take a while, which may be okay for you since we'll probably only need to be on campus two days a week. 

I live in Jamaica Plain and absolutely love it. I honestly think it's the best neighborhood in Boston, and it's cheaper than other places in the city like the South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, etc. It's about a 15 minute drive away or an hour using public transportation. 

You may have already seen this, but just in case you haven't, it will probably be helpful. http://www.bc.edu/offices/gsc/boston.html

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

29 minutes ago, KatePurpleOrchids said:

Congrats, @morningjunky! That's exciting!

I can't tell you much more about Allston/Brighton other than what it sounds like you already know--a lot of students live there, it's convenient to BC, and it's relatively affordable. Citydata.com could be a good forum to browse for more info on the environment. BC is unfortunately not super accessible unless you are on the Green Line (which is the benefit of Allston/Brighton). It's doable from other neighborhoods, but it will take a while, which may be okay for you since we'll probably only need to be on campus two days a week. 

I live in Jamaica Plain and absolutely love it. I honestly think it's the best neighborhood in Boston, and it's cheaper than other places in the city like the South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, etc. It's about a 15 minute drive away or an hour using public transportation. 

You may have already seen this, but just in case you haven't, it will probably be helpful. http://www.bc.edu/offices/gsc/boston.html

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

I was actually looking at JP as my friend recommended it to me. Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it!

Hi everyone! Congrats to all on your acceptances, I just heard from BC today!! So exciting. I'm waiting to hear back from UNC Chapel Hill but BC is a very close tie so I would be happy ending up at either :) How long did it take for you to receive scholarship information? My status hasn't changed on the portal yet since the dean sent me an early notification of my acceptance (I had another school with a deadline of Friday so I called to see about hearing from BC soon). 

I have many friends who live in the Boston area and from what I hear, Brookline, Jamaica Plain and Allston seem to be the best areas for students of BC! Brookline is most expensive but also most quiet, Jamaica Plain is a lot of students and families and affordable and Allston is definitely more students/louder than the other two but also affordable and nice. 

19 minutes ago, TeaTime23 said:

Hi everyone! Congrats to all on your acceptances, I just heard from BC today!! So exciting. I'm waiting to hear back from UNC Chapel Hill but BC is a very close tie so I would be happy ending up at either :) How long did it take for you to receive scholarship information? My status hasn't changed on the portal yet since the dean sent me an early notification of my acceptance (I had another school with a deadline of Friday so I called to see about hearing from BC soon). 

I have many friends who live in the Boston area and from what I hear, Brookline, Jamaica Plain and Allston seem to be the best areas for students of BC! Brookline is most expensive but also most quiet, Jamaica Plain is a lot of students and families and affordable and Allston is definitely more students/louder than the other two but also affordable and nice. 

BC sent me an email notifying me of my admissions decision (no attachment). My status on Agora wasn't updated. I received a physical letter with scholarship information to my mailing address about 7-9 days later. 

Edited by morningjunky

Hi @TeaTime23! Congrats on your acceptance. :) My Agora status wasn't updated either. I also heard early for similar reasons and the dean told me I had been accepted and what BC would be offering financially via email. I later received an official email from BC and then an official letter in the mail along with a document about the scholarship info. Hope that helps @TeaTime23

Hi @KatePurpleOrchids, thanks so much! I got my official letter today with my scholarship (almost half tuition so I am very excited!!) Still waiting to hear back from UNC but I am almost positive that BC will be the choice! I'm doing the clinical track for health and mental health and also interested in trauma, eating disorders and medical social work (pediatric oncology specifically). 

How long after the email did you all get your letters? I heard back on March 1st (ten days ago) but still haven't received my formal letter with scholarship information. Getting antsy because UChicago wants a deposit a week from today (already an extension) but I'd easily pick BC if they come through financially... 

Hi everyone!!

I put down my deposit and am super excited to attend in the fall and to meet all of you :)

@senseless_panic I received my official letter maybe about 3-4 days after the email. When I got my formal letter, the letter behind it was my scholarship letter. I was very fortunate and was able to negotiate my scholarship and they're paying almost all of my tuition!