Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Dank

2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

3,021 posts in this topic

Has everyone who attended interviews received their travel reimbursements? Almost three months after my interview I am still waiting to receive my flight reimbursement from one of the universities I interviewed at but didn't join. I have repeatedly told them that I am an international student and won't be able to receive a cheque if they mail it to my US address after I graduate and return home but they keep delaying it. Now I am returning home in a couple of days and don't know what to do. I really want to write a strongly worded email to the admissions office but just want to make sure I am not overreacting. Is this normal? 

Hi, I know this thread has slowed down but I really need some guidance. I need to know if the schools I'm applying to are within my reach, and also if anyone knows any good schools for stem cell bio/regen medicine, neurodegenerative diseases, or brain injury. 

Also, as application season slowly approaches, my anxiety is kicking in and I can't help feeling that I won't make it into any of the programs I apply to. 

Undergrad Institution: Armstrong State University, small state school. Is now being consolidated with Georgia Southern
Major(s): Cell/Molecular Biology
Minor(s): Music
GPA in Major: 4.0 if this is only Biology classes? 3.6 if counting Chems and Phys :x
Overall GPA: 3.68 (I'll be graduating with a 3.71 in the Fall)
Position in Class: I must be top 7.5% at least because I was invited to Phi Kappa Phi
Type of Student: White female

GRE Scores (revised/old version): NOT TAKEN. Studying pretty hard though! Worried about the writing section. 
Q:
V:
W:
B:

Research Experience: 3 years on 2 separate projects. My mentor went to UT Southwestern and is the interim College of Sci and Tech Dean and also the undergraduate research coordinator.

First project: Biocatalysis - didn't really go anywhere. Iffy results and also perhaps too many cooks in the kitchen made matters worse. He got frustrated and made us change.

Second project: My honors project. Looking at local biodiversity of Wolbachia. just started a publication and hope to at least have it submitted for publication by the Fall. I'll be first author. 

Also I'm about to start a little project with a second professor that specializes in neuroscience and has interest in neurodegen diseases. It won't be for long because I'm graduating in December but I really wanted to get experience in a lab more tailored to my interests!

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Phi Kappa Phi

Beta Beta Beta

Graduating through the Honors Program

GA Power Scholar 

Dean Research Scholar but I'm not sure if this would show up on my transcript in time for it to matter for grad school apps

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Most of my time as a researcher was for pay

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Presented at a conference in poster form. 

Special Bonus Points: Female? My mentor being from UT Southwestern? Neuro diseases are a personal issue with me, I have two uncles with Huntington's disease (my father's half brothers). I'm not sure if I want to mention this on the app because it might come off as "poor me." Also, my mom is a respiratory therapist and she's told stories of people with brain injuries and I've always felt for them especially. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Probably won't matter but I'm a private piano instructor and also a church pianist. 

Applying to Where:

UNC Chapel Hill - BBSP 
UCSF - BMS

Madison, Wisconsin - Genetics (They had some really interesting research on mental illness)

UPenn - Neuroscience (A lot of research on neurodegenerative diseases) 

(Thinking of applying to Emory as a safety school) 

I need to apply to some more schools. Does anyone else have any recommendations based on my credentials and interests? 

7 hours ago, indeeptreble said:

Applying to Where:

UNC Chapel Hill - BBSP 
UCSF - BMS

Madison, Wisconsin - Genetics (They had some really interesting research on mental illness)

I need to apply to some more schools. Does anyone else have any recommendations based on my credentials and interests? 

I don't really have any advice on your stats/background, but this list is coming along. I applied to UNC BBSP and am going to UW-Madison for biochemistry in the fall. I personally cut UCSF from my list since their app was expensive and they didn't really have anything for me, but your outlook may be different. I would recommend adding Emory - and have you looked at Vanderbilt? Their IGP had a lot of neuro-related stuff and had by-far the nicest program directors/staff! Plus the app is free.  

As far as mentioning the reason for your interest, I think it's a good idea - just don't lay it on thick with the platitudes. If those interactions with people suffering from neurodegenerative disease are what sparked your interest in the field, then you should say that! In many cases, committees are looking for authenticity... they can tell when people are being fake, so don't worry. :) One last piece of advice - don't worry too much about the GRE writing sections. I was sweating bullets going into the test, got a slightly above average score and it never caused me a bit of trouble! It's more important to be above the threshold where people will say, "ah, this score is really bad." Beyond that, it doesn't matter. 

23 hours ago, indeeptreble said:

Hi, I know this thread has slowed down but I really need some guidance. I need to know if the schools I'm applying to are within my reach, and also if anyone knows any good schools for stem cell bio/regen medicine, neurodegenerative diseases, or brain injury. 

Also, as application season slowly approaches, my anxiety is kicking in and I can't help feeling that I won't make it into any of the programs I apply to. 

Undergrad Institution: Armstrong State University, small state school. Is now being consolidated with Georgia Southern
Major(s): Cell/Molecular Biology
Minor(s): Music
GPA in Major: 4.0 if this is only Biology classes? 3.6 if counting Chems and Phys :x
Overall GPA: 3.68 (I'll be graduating with a 3.71 in the Fall)
Position in Class: I must be top 7.5% at least because I was invited to Phi Kappa Phi
Type of Student: White female

GRE Scores (revised/old version): NOT TAKEN. Studying pretty hard though! Worried about the writing section. 
Q:
V:
W:
B:

Research Experience: 3 years on 2 separate projects. My mentor went to UT Southwestern and is the interim College of Sci and Tech Dean and also the undergraduate research coordinator.

First project: Biocatalysis - didn't really go anywhere. Iffy results and also perhaps too many cooks in the kitchen made matters worse. He got frustrated and made us change.

Second project: My honors project. Looking at local biodiversity of Wolbachia. just started a publication and hope to at least have it submitted for publication by the Fall. I'll be first author. 

Also I'm about to start a little project with a second professor that specializes in neuroscience and has interest in neurodegen diseases. It won't be for long because I'm graduating in December but I really wanted to get experience in a lab more tailored to my interests!

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Phi Kappa Phi

Beta Beta Beta

Graduating through the Honors Program

GA Power Scholar 

Dean Research Scholar but I'm not sure if this would show up on my transcript in time for it to matter for grad school apps

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Most of my time as a researcher was for pay

Presented at a conference in poster form. 

Special Bonus Points: Female? My mentor being from UT Southwestern? Neuro diseases are a personal issue with me, I have two uncles with Huntington's disease (my father's half brothers). I'm not sure if I want to mention this on the app because it might come off as "poor me." Also, my mom is a respiratory therapist and she's told stories of people with brain injuries and I've always felt for them especially. 

Probably won't matter but I'm a private piano instructor and also a church pianist. 

Applying to Where:

UNC Chapel Hill - BBSP 
UCSF - BMS

For Penn and UCSF the GPA average is greater than ~3.8 (especially for the Neurobiology Graduate Group at Penn) , but I think you're pretty close to the average to say that it won't hurt you. Doing well on the GRE (80%+ on the V and Q) will keep attention away from your numbers, scores can only break a deal not make it. You have a lot of research experience within the lab that you worked at, so make sure you're able to coherently and concisely explain your projects in a manner that connects to your growth as a scientist or your greater career or research interests in your SOP-- this is probably the second most important part of your app after LORs. Speaking of those, try to ask people that know you well as a person and can attest to your potential as a researcher, preferably people you have worked with. Do you think a prof that will only know you for ~3 months before writing you a letter will do you justice? How much time will you be putting into lab?

Also, in terms of schools, I would probs apply to 4 more programs. Maybe two top and two safe/mid-tier schools?? That should balance things out.

But, remember, only choose schools that you would be fully satisfied going to. A lack of interest will show in your SOP and you interview, and you don't want to be stuck somewhere you don't like for 5+ years.

Hi guys! I am planning on applying this fall/winter to start in Fall 2018. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to boost my stats and also just what my general chances are. Also, do you guys think there would be any hope for me getting into/getting funding at a top program in the UK? (ie UCL, Imperial, Kings, OxCam?) My supervisor thinks I have a good chance applying to most places in the states, but I feel like my GPA is quite low for top programs.

I have a psychology/neuro BSc but I would like to point out that most of my coursework is focused on biology, and I hope that my research experience and publications in both biology and bioengineering can help me in my applications to programs that ask for biological science degrees. Also, my recommendations should really emphasize my ability to conduct independent biology research.

Undergrad Institution: McGill University, Canada, pretty good international research reputation
Major(s): Psychology + Neuroscience (but most coursework on molecular bio/neuro... almost all classes in Faculty of Science)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.73
Overall GPA: 3.58 (upward trend: 3.22, 3.72, 3.86, 3.73)
Position in Class: We didnt get ranks, but I have above average grades in all of my classes
Type of Student: Canadian + American dual citizen, Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 166
V: 168
W: 5
B:

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

1 year in a cognitive psychology/neuroanatomy lab at McGill, 6 hours a week, big PI but not a relevant lab experience

2.5 years in a collaborative project between a professor and an anatomy and cell biology professor at McGill, molecular biology and bioengineering project, 3 full-time summers, around 30 hours a week throughout the school year, trained many graduate students on microscopy and surface patterning techniques

6 months in computational biology lab at Imperial College London while studying abroad at UCL, 1x a week for 3-4 hours

4.5 months post-graduation in a microfluidics lab in Japan as a summer intern, I was brought in to the research group to help develop cellular applications for the platforms they were developing as the lab mainly consisted of physicists and chemists

(Current) Research technician and assistant at Columbia medical center, working full time and will have been working here for two years before joining graduate school, pathology and cell biology lab where I am working on a few projects 

Conference proceedings/Posters: First author conference proceeding and poster presentation at international conference in cell engineering and biomaterials

Third author on conference proceeding and oral presentation at international bioengineering conference

3x poster presentations at Canadian national conferences, 3x at Montreal local conferences

Publications: First authored publication should be submitted before application (hopefully accepted) from Montreal lab, aiming for journal with impact factor ~6

Third author publication from Japan lab (IF:19)

Fifth author publication from Japan lab (IF:9)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans Interdisciplinary Research Award (McGill)

Awarded 2x summer research awards/fellowships through NSERC (one in Neuroengineering and one in Bioengineering)

Invited as an intern to Japanese institute, which included full funding for travel and living expenses

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Full time research technician at Columbia

Special Bonus Points: Took 2-3 grad level biology classes, got A's
Anatomy + Cell bio professor at McGill is a big name in his field, as is Columbia professor
My projects at McGill were run by me independently as the PhD student I was working with left after about 2 months of work, so I stayed on for the rest of the project and just worked directly with the professor

Applying to Where:

Harvard BBS, Stanford Biosciences, Berkeley MCB, Columbia Integrated program, MSK Gerstner grad program, Tri-institutional Chemical biology, BU bioengineering, EMBL International PhD program, UK schools??

3 hours ago, abhisheks94 said:

Hi guys! I am planning on applying this fall/winter to start in Fall 2018. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to boost my stats and also just what my general chances are. Also, do you guys think there would be any hope for me getting into/getting funding at a top program in the UK? (ie UCL, Imperial, Kings, OxCam?) My supervisor thinks I have a good chance applying to most places in the states, but I feel like my GPA is quite low for top programs.

Applying to Where:

Harvard BBS, Stanford Biosciences, Berkeley MCB, Columbia Integrated program, MSK Gerstner grad program, Tri-institutional Chemical biology, BU bioengineering, EMBL International PhD program, UK schools??

I don't think your GPA is low enough to really hold you back.  I had a similar GPA from what I think is a comparable university, but also had a lot of the same compensating factors you have (similar GRE scores, publications, two years post-grad experience) and I was competitive applying to the kinds of programs you're considering.

My advice would be to have as many people as you can (PI, career development office at Columbia and McGill, etc.) read your SOP to make sure your descriptions of your research are coming off clearly and show you have a good grasp of the projects you've contributed to.

18 hours ago, lmb123 said:

I don't think your GPA is low enough to really hold you back.  I had a similar GPA from what I think is a comparable university, but also had a lot of the same compensating factors you have (similar GRE scores, publications, two years post-grad experience) and I was competitive applying to the kinds of programs you're considering.

My advice would be to have as many people as you can (PI, career development office at Columbia and McGill, etc.) read your SOP to make sure your descriptions of your research are coming off clearly and show you have a good grasp of the projects you've contributed to.

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely do that. Did you reach out to any PIs before applying? Thanks!

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, abhisheks94 said:

Did you reach out to any PIs before applying? Thanks!

I didn't email any PIs before interviewing.  Though I did research the faculty at each school pretty thoroughly so I could mention in my SOP who I might want to work with/tie it into my previous research.

Edited by lmb123

On 6/1/2017 at 6:52 AM, abhisheks94 said:

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely do that. Did you reach out to any PIs before applying? Thanks!

I reached out to a few PIs, but I'm not sure it helped.  It definitely did solidify what I wanted to do though, and what types of projects I'd be interested in.  Before I interviewed though, a PI reached out to me though (before I knew I was even going to interview).

Hello! I am a rising senior who is freaking out about PhD applications in the coming year (Fall 2018)... I'm not sure if there's a thread for the coming year yet, but I would really appreciate your opinion on my stats. I'm especially looking to see if my school list is good enough, and if I should have more/less middle-tier schools. I'd also really appreciate suggestions for middle-tier schools! I'm mainly interested in studying chromatin biology / epigenetics / stem cell and tissue engineering for my PhD. Thank you so much in advance!

Undergrad Institution: New York University Abu Dhabi, a recent branch of NYU that boasts 4% admit rate from 11,000+ applicants
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: 3.85
Overall GPA: 3.92
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: International Asian Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version): Taking it this summer!

Research Experience: 

Summer 2016 on DNA Repair at NYU New York

Summer 2017 full-time (present), projected to be a year-long work on my Capstone thesis about nuclear myosin and nuclear reprogramming (doing high content screening, will be doing ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, etc.), possibility to publish paper based on this thesis

5 months research as the 2017 student leader on the NYUAD iGEM team (developing a device to detect E. coli in food using LAMP amplification methods)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Full scholarship for all 4 years at NYUAD

NYUAD does not do Dean's List, but projected to graduate with highest honors and NYU Founder's Day Award for my GPA

Awarded $5,000 NYUAD Research Funding, GNU Summer Undergraduate Research Program, NYU Dept. of Chemistry (2016)

Awarded $1,300 NYUAD Research Funding at NYUAD (2017)

Aiming for Gold Medal on the 2017 iGEM Synthetic Biology competition

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Third Place in Public Health Think Tank 2016, Abu Dhabi, UAE

2015 Communications Internship at Pfizer Africa Middle East (AfME), Dubai, UAE (way before I knew I wanted to do research)

Special Bonus Points: Southeast Asian female international student? I'm also the fifth graduating class at my school. My school is super young, and although it is affiliated with NYU, the fact that its students are thriving internationally shows its standards of excellence.

Mentorship Coordinator for Women Empowered in STEM at NYUAD

Volunteer for 2 years (3 years by the time I graduate) at the Abu Dhabi Science Festival for children 5-12 years old

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller

NYU Biology (looking at the Abu Dhabi fellowship as well)

Duke

UNC-Chapel Hill BBSP

UCSF Tetrad

UCSD

USC PIBBS

The Graduate School of the Stowers Institute for Medical Research

CSHL Watson School of Biological Sciences 

3 hours ago, mentarisemesta said:

Hello! I am a rising senior who is freaking out about PhD applications in the coming year (Fall 2018)... I'm not sure if there's a thread for the coming year yet, but I would really appreciate your opinion on my stats. I'm especially looking to see if my school list is good enough, and if I should have more/less middle-tier schools. I'd also really appreciate suggestions for middle-tier schools! I'm mainly interested in studying chromatin biology / epigenetics / stem cell and tissue engineering for my PhD. Thank you so much in advance!

Undergrad Institution: New York University Abu Dhabi, a recent branch of NYU that boasts 4% admit rate from 11,000+ applicants

Research Experience: 

Summer 2017 full-time (present), projected to be a year-long work on my Capstone thesis about nuclear myosin and nuclear reprogramming (doing high content screening, will be doing ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, etc.), possibility to publish paper based on this thesis

5 months research as the 2017 student leader on the NYUAD iGEM team (developing a device to detect E. coli in food using LAMP amplification methods)

NYUAD does not do Dean's List, but projected to graduate with highest honors and NYU Founder's Day Award for my GPA

Awarded $5,000 NYUAD Research Funding, GNU Summer Undergraduate Research Program, NYU Dept. of Chemistry (2016)

2015 Communications Internship at Pfizer Africa Middle East (AfME), Dubai, UAE (way before I knew I wanted to do research)

Special Bonus Points: Southeast Asian female international student? I'm also the fifth graduating class at my school. My school is super young, and although it is affiliated with NYU, the fact that its students are thriving internationally shows its standards of excellence.

Volunteer for 2 years (3 years by the time I graduate) at the Abu Dhabi Science Festival for children 5-12 years old

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller

Duke

UNC-Chapel Hill BBSP

UCSF Tetrad

UCSD

USC PIBBS

As a former PhD student in an excellent science program whose adviser was chair of the program, I can say that your stats and research experience look very strong. But your field tends to get a lot of applicants, and you will have a lot of competition. Therefore, it's extra crucial that you don't skimp on your statements and letters of recommendation. Get killer letters from tenured faculty who've seen your research, know where you stand academically, know the standards and conventions of writing a decent letter, and who are known in the field or at least are active and well-respected in the community. And make sure to bring attention to your research in your statement of purpose.

Provided that you work hard on your application and check your statements over with professors who've been on admissions committees in the past, I don't think you'll be denied admission based on your qualifications alone. The main issue is how many slots they have and how many are applying. I'd even venture to say that you might stand a better chance of getting into a more prestigious but larger program than a less prestigious but smaller program. I think you've got a good list and a good mix there. Good luck on your application!

On 6/6/2017 at 11:38 PM, ThousandsHardships said:

As a former PhD student in an excellent science program whose adviser was chair of the program, I can say that your stats and research experience look very strong. But your field tends to get a lot of applicants, and you will have a lot of competition. Therefore, it's extra crucial that you don't skimp on your statements and letters of recommendation. Get killer letters from tenured faculty who've seen your research, know where you stand academically, know the standards and conventions of writing a decent letter, and who are known in the field or at least are active and well-respected in the community. And make sure to bring attention to your research in your statement of purpose.

Provided that you work hard on your application and check your statements over with professors who've been on admissions committees in the past, I don't think you'll be denied admission based on your qualifications alone. The main issue is how many slots they have and how many are applying. I'd even venture to say that you might stand a better chance of getting into a more prestigious but larger program than a less prestigious but smaller program. I think you've got a good list and a good mix there. Good luck on your application!

Thank you so much for your answer! Do you have examples of these prestigious but larger programs that I should look into?

Hi all. I couldn't find a page for 2018 yet, so I thought I'd tack on my stats here. I am starting to look for programs to apply to in the fall and was wondering if Stanford Biosciences and UCSF Tetrad would be a stretch. Let me know what y'all think. Thank you!

Undergrad Institution: Top state school in California 
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.93
Overall GPA: 3.94
Position in Class: top 5%
Type of Student: domestic, white male

I am taking a GRE prep course this summer and will take the GRE at the end of the summer. 

Research Experience: 

Amgen Scholar at UCLA for the summer in cancer biology and metabolism. Several poster presentations.

Two years at my home institution in natural products chemistry. No publications, but I did a couple poster presentations and won a research award. 

Undergraduate Research Award - American Society of Pharmacognosy

Outstanding First Year Biochemistry Student and Award in Computational Chemistry (home institution) 

Chemistry Faculty Scholarship at my home institution

Dean's List all three years.

RA for two years.

TA for general chemistry (multiple quarters)

Grader for biochemistry 

Special Bonus Points:  I'm trilingual. 

Letter of rec from UCLA mentor in Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology

Two letters of rec from home institution (one of them is my research advisor; she did her Postdoc at Stanford if that means anything)

Applying to Where:

Stanford - Biosciences - Biochemistry
UCSF - Tetrad - BMB
UCLA - Biosciences - Cancer biology 

More to come, these are just reach schools I am curious about. 

Undergrad Institution: A "public ivy" in California
Major(s): Neurobiology
Minor(s): Professional Writing
GPA in Major: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.4
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: domestic, white female

Just took it, still waiting for AW and percentiles
V: 162
Q: 159

Research Experience: 

4 years, 3 labs:
2 summers and the past year in a neuroscience/stem cell lab with a world renowned stem cell scientist
2 years in college at my undergrad university in developmental neuroscience/biochemistry - included a mini-thesis project
3 months at the NIH in a neurogenetics lab

Community Service Award

1 year at a KO mouse core

I don't know about pertinent, but...
3 years volunteer at a homeless shelter (exposure to mental illness)

Special Bonus Points: 

3 publications so far, 1 as second author. Expect another 2-3 in the next year or so, possibly a first author publication.

Presented a poster at an undergraduate research conference and will be presenting another poster at SfN this year.

My current PI will definitely write me a killer letter of rec.

I have 5-7 people who I could have write a letter of rec - not sure who I'll ask yet. Mixture of professors and PIs.

My GPA isn't great, but it greatly improved during my last 2 years (straight A's my last year).

Applying to Where:

Northwestern

University of Washington

University of Pennsylvania

Boston University

Planning on applying to 6-8, but haven't finalized the list yet.

How screwed am I?

Posted (edited)

Can anyone advise on my list for neuroscience PhD programs Fall 2018? Too ambitious for my resume? Plan on trimming a couple of the programs. Looking to do neuroimmune research. 

Undergrad Institution: University of Maryland
Major(s): General Biology
Minor(s): Neuroscience
GPA in Major: not sure
Overall GPA: 3.40
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: domestic, caucasian male 

V: 158
Q: 161

W: 4

Research Experience: 

2 years as a volunteer/class credit at a neuroplasticity lab on campus.

Intern for summer at AstraZeneca subsidiary doing autoimmune research (1 publication non first author, in Science translational med). Continued part time for senior year of college.

1+ year (currently employed) as a full time research assistant in a neuroimmunology lab at University of Texas MD anderson cancer center, with 3 well-known PIs in the field (1 publication currently, 2 more in prep. 2 more posters/abstracts). 

See experience.

Special Bonus Points: 

Will be getting a very strong letter of rec from my internship, and then 3 from my current job (one from a PI, 2 from Post docs who I work closely with daily and should write glowing reviews)

Applying to Where:

Ohio State University

Illionois Urbana

Oregon Health and Science University

Miami University

Columbia University

University of Chicago

Georgetown University

University of Virginia

West Virginia University

University of California-Davis

Edited by Philsgross

On 6/22/2017 at 4:42 PM, TLNCP said:

Hi all. I couldn't find a page for 2018 yet, so I thought I'd tack on my stats here. I am starting to look for programs to apply to in the fall and was wondering if Stanford Biosciences and UCSF Tetrad would be a stretch. Let me know what y'all think. Thank you!

Undergrad Institution: Top state school in California 
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.93
Overall GPA: 3.94
Position in Class: top 5%
Type of Student: domestic, white male

With your stats, I think you're a competitive applicant as long as you score decently on the GRE.

12 hours ago, Philsgross said:

Can anyone advise on my list for neuroscience PhD programs Fall 2018? Too ambitious for my resume? Plan on trimming a couple of the programs. Looking to do neuroimmune research. 

Research Experience: 

Intern for summer at AstraZeneca subsidiary doing autoimmune research (1 publication non first author, in Science translational med). Continued part time for senior year of college.

1+ year (currently employed) as a full time research assistant in a neuroimmunology lab at University of Texas MD anderson cancer center, with 3 well-known PIs in the field (1 publication currently, 2 more in prep. 2 more posters/abstracts). 

See experience.

Special Bonus Points: 

Will be getting a very strong letter of rec from my internship, and then 3 from my current job (one from a PI, 2 from Post docs who I work closely with daily and should write glowing reviews)

Applying to Where:

Ohio State University

Illionois Urbana

Miami University

Columbia University

University of Chicago

Georgetown University

University of Virginia

West Virginia University

I think you have a pretty diverse list of potential schools. Your stats, though your GPA is not that great, are pretty strong since you have a lot of experience, have publications, and will (hopefully) get really good letters from the PIs you have worked with. I would be surprised if you didn't get a couple of offers; however, I must warn you that Neurobiology programs, as opposed to umbrella programs, tend to be smaller and more competitive, so I would keep that in mind. 

13 hours ago, Philsgross said:

Research Experience: 

See experience.

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:

Ohio State University

Illionois Urbana

Miami University

Columbia University

University of Chicago

Georgetown University

University of Virginia

West Virginia University

I think you should be ok, your numeric stats aren't the greatest but your research experience and LOR should compensate. A strong and targeted SOP/PS will also help you and will help alleviate any worries about the lower stats. As bioenchilada said, neurobio programs tend to be pretty competitive so I would try to keep the prestige diversity you currently have. If you trim schools off the list keep that in mind. 

On 7/2/2017 at 1:01 PM, BabyScientist said:

Undergrad Institution: A "public ivy" in California
Major(s): Neurobiology
Minor(s): Professional Writing
GPA in Major: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.4
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: domestic, white female

Just took it, still waiting for AW and percentiles
V: 162
Q: 159

Research Experience: 

4 years, 3 labs:
2 summers and the past year in a neuroscience/stem cell lab with a world renowned stem cell scientist
2 years in college at my undergrad university in developmental neuroscience/biochemistry - included a mini-thesis project
3 months at the NIH in a neurogenetics lab

Community Service Award

1 year at a KO mouse core

I don't know about pertinent, but...
3 years volunteer at a homeless shelter (exposure to mental illness)

Special Bonus Points: 

3 publications so far, 1 as second author. Expect another 2-3 in the next year or so, possibly a first author publication.

Presented a poster at an undergraduate research conference and will be presenting another poster at SfN this year.

My current PI will definitely write me a killer letter of rec.

I have 5-7 people who I could have write a letter of rec - not sure who I'll ask yet. Mixture of professors and PIs.

My GPA isn't great, but it greatly improved during my last 2 years (straight A's my last year).

Applying to Where:

Northwestern

University of Washington

Boston University

Planning on applying to 6-8, but haven't finalized the list yet.

How screwed am I?

GRE score edit:

Q: 159 - 73rd percentile
V: 162 - 91st percentile
AW: 4.5 - 82nd percentile

Hey! First time posting on this. Wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts/opinions/feedback on my stats and ambitions (probably aiming way too high?!). I want to do a pathology/experimental medicine PhD program. :) 

Undergrad Institution: large public research university
Major(s): Microbiology; Genomics and Molecular Genetics (double major)
Overall GPA: 3.72
Type of Student: domestic multiracial female

GRE Scores: taking in September!

Research Experience: 

1 semester volunteering in a soil microbiology lab

1 semester in a genetic engineering lab

1 year in an epidemiology lab. Where I did my senior project and getting a third author publication out of it.

Full-ride scholarship for undergrad

Dean’s List for all of undergrad

First Place Award from presenting senior project in University Research Forum

Interned at state public health department

Currently working at an ivy league university (TA and research)

Letters of recs coming from PI, director of undergrad research, and senior seminar prof

Applying to Where: dreaming big, ya know? I’m waiting until I have my GRE scores to whittle the list down to 10, but please let me know if there are any obvious outliers.

Columbia

University of Virginia

Baylor College of Medicine

Emory

Harvard

Stanford

University of Colorado

University of Michigan

UNC

University of Pittsburg

University of Maryland

Dartmouth

On 6/6/2017 at 11:30 PM, mentarisemesta said:

Research Experience: 

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller

Duke

UNC-Chapel Hill BBSP

UCSF Tetrad

UCSD

USC PIBBS

One concern I have is the length of your research experience. Before you submit your application this December, you'll have one 3-month summer research, one ~6-month thesis research, and one 5-month iGEM project. None of these can be counted as "significant" in terms of length. Do you think you understand these projects very well, be able to write about them in depth in your SOP, and get great letters from your mentors? If so, you're probably good to go. The rest of your profile is solid. 

For your school selection, I would simply cross off UCSF Tetrad unless you can secure ur own funding, since they rarely take any international students. UCSD has limited spots for international students so it can get very competitive too.