Hello everyone! I am new to The Grad Cafe. I am an undergraduate student from Michigan currently pursuing a degree in Sociology. I will graduate in April 2017 (1 year away)! 

I plan to attend an MSW program straight out of undergrad and am curious to get some insight from those who have already gone through the process. I have been researching for a few months and right now I am most interested in:

University of Michigan

University of Washington

University of Denver

Portland State University

UC Berkeley

Smith College

My path would be clinical. I am most interested in working with Children/youth but am interested in a variety of settings (schools, hospitals, nonprofits) at home and even abroad. 

For those that have been accepted to one or more of these programs, what are your stats? What type of experiences did you have? What do you think made you stand out? When did you start applying to MSW programs? Do you have any tips? How far in advance of application deadlines did you start preparing?

Did anyone else go straight out of undergrad? Do you think that this put you at an advantage or disadvantage? Is applying as an out of state applicant an advantage or disadvantage to most of these programs? 

My current stats:

GPA: 3.6
America Reads Corp Member - (reading tutor in public elementary school)
Substitute teacher in Detroit Public Schools
Alternative Spring Break Volunteer (2 years in a row)
Vice President of Student Organization - Have been involved in lots of event planning, volunteering/ and volunteer project creation, professional development, fundraising, etc. 

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES? WHAT CAN I DO IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF MONTHS TO MAKE MYSELF A STRONGER APPLICANT COME WINTER? 
WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR EXPERIENCES IN THESE PROGRAMS? 

Thanks so much for any information you can share with me! I am so excited for my future in this field and to speak with some of you who share similar aspirations! 

Thanks everyone :):):) 

Short answer: read through the Social Work subforum on this site.

Shorter answer: You're in good shape.

Edited by RCtheSS