Ph.D. in Education 2017 University of Washington

nikkimx

Hi, all! I am writing to see if anyone is applying to the Ph.D. in Education programs at UW. I applied for the Learning Sciences and Human Development program. 

I also applied to Cambridge and Washington State University. I have an interview for Cambridge later this month, but I haven't heard from WSU or UW, yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I also applied to the Learning Sciences and Human Development doctoral program at University of Washington. I received an email today confirming that all of my materials have been received and will be reviewed on January 27th. Do you know if they do interviews before making decisions about acceptances? 

Good luck to you!

• 4 weeks later...

I interviewed and was accepted to Cambridge, Washington State sent an acceptance letter (no interview) this week, so now I am just waiting to hear from UW. I received no funding from Cambridge, so they're out for me. UW is my number one choice, but WSU wants to hear back from me by March 1st. I'm hoping to hear back from UW before then!

Hi again!

I had a phone call with my potential advisor at UW last week. The purpose of the phone call was to offer an opportunity for me to ask questions, and the conversation was entirely unofficial and did not discuss the status of my application. It sounds like they are making final decisions soon, and then official letters will be sent out in 3-4 weeks. However, my potential advisor said that once final decisions are made, professors are allowed to individually contact applicants to give them unofficial notification of their acceptance.

Congrats on your acceptances! That's awesome! Sorry to hear Cambridge doesn't have any funding for you... It was my understanding that all research-intensive Ph.D. programs offered funding packages, so that's surprising to hear. Washington State is requiring a decision by March 1st?! I thought every program gave until April 15th for applicants to make decisions?

Good luck to you with UW! Hopefully decisions will be made by March 1st!

Thanks for the update! I hope my POI contacts me directly before the letters go out. I spoke with her back in fall, but haven't heard from her since then. Eek!

Hi all!

I applied to the PhD programme in Curriculum and Development at UW. I received an email on 31 Jan letting me know that my application was sent to the committee to review and that the target date for decisions is 10 March. It's only been 8 days, but I'm eager to hear from them soon! My POI hasn't reached out to me, and I'm not sure if interviews happen at all - but not too worried yet cos again, it's only been 8 days since my stuff was sent for review! Fingers crossed and best of luck to everyone!

On 2/15/2017 at 7:42 PM, nikkimx said:

I just got my acceptance email from UW! :)

Congratulations! I also received an acceptance email earlier this week! Have you heard anything about funding? All of my other programs have discussed the funding package in the acceptance letter, but UW didn't mention anything. Do you know what the funding situation typically is for this program?

1 hour ago, lisetta said:

Do you know what the funding situation typically is for this program?

Woo hoo! Congrats! They didn't say anything about funding in my letter either. I spoke with my adviser late last year, and she said there isn't much on the way of funding normally. I am going to enroll anyway because I have outside funding for tuition, fees, and a small stipend, but I still will need to work to make ends meet. I am hoping to get a GR or TA position or supplement my income through subbing a day or two per week for Seattle Public Schools. Are you planning to accept the offer?