CSULB Fall 2017 Acceptance Time

MSW7

Hi I have a question for applicants who have been offered admission into CSULB and have accepted. 

I accepted my admission and turned in the "MSW acceptance checklist" for CSULB. I then received an email welcoming me to the school and cohort with information to the orientation attached. However, when I log onto MyCSULB I don't see any indication of showing that I'm a grad student or that I can accept/decline admission as well as tuition fees. 

Thus, I wanted to ask what everyone's process is and if this is what you did as well. I just want to make sure I don't lose out on this opportunity. Thanks! ?

@emily18ma I heard back from CSULB on March 20th and hand delivered the acceptance checklist on March 22nd. The next day I received and email welcoming me to the school and cohort w/ orientaion details. I did turn my application in on Dec 16th and applied for the 3-year program so I am unsure how their process of the applications are. My friend said she called admissions and they said it could take till May to hear back. I hope you hear from them soon! Best wishes!

51 minutes ago, Winchester67 said:

@emily18ma I heard back from CSULB on March 20th and hand delivered the acceptance checklist on March 22nd. The next day I received and email welcoming me to the school and cohort w/ orientaion details. I did turn my application in on Dec 16th and applied for the 3-year program so I am unsure how their process of the applications are. My friend said she called admissions and they said it could take till May to hear back. I hope you hear from them soon! Best wishes!

@Winchester67 thanks for the note here! it's nice to have some idea on timing! i mailed out my packet on jan 13, so it was very close to the deadline for the 2 year program. i hope they get back to me soon! congratulations, and good luck in the fall!!! :) 

Hi all!!

I applied to the 2 year MSW program and got verification that they received everything right before Thanksgiving. I found out on March 8 that I was placed on "Pending Status." Anyone else get this and have they received any other notice afterwards?? I am just hoping I find out either way sooner rather than later!! They said it could be up until July until I hear anything!! Ughh. 

11 minutes ago, Beth2212 said:

Hi all!!

I applied to the 2 year MSW program and got verification that they received everything right before Thanksgiving. I found out on March 8 that I was placed on "Pending Status." Anyone else get this and have they received any other notice afterwards?? I am just hoping I find out either way sooner rather than later!! They said it could be up until July until I hear anything!! Ughh. 

I definitely feel you because I am in the same boat and the wait is nerve wrecking! I received notification that I was Pending status around March 20th and when I called the department they said to wait until around the end of May. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rmeza said:

I received an acceptance offer via email yesterday, 4/17 after being placed on the wait list on January. Good luck to everyone who applied

Congrats @rmeza I'm happy everything worked out in your favor!

I was also placed on Pending status and hoping for the same outcome as it is my number one program as well :)

Hello everyone,

I personally turned in my packet on Jan 17. I received an email stating my application was received by the department. That was the last email I received. Is anyone here in the same boat as I am? Has anyone heard back from them?

12 hours ago, mlopez said:

Hello everyone,

I personally turned in my packet on Jan 17. I received an email stating my application was received by the department. That was the last email I received. Is anyone here in the same boat as I am? Has anyone heard back from them?

I mailed my application in on January 13th, received an email on January 30th that it was forwarded to the department for review and on March 10th I got confirmation that the application was complete and received by the department. Other than this I have heard nothing so I am right there with you.

• 1 month later...

I turned in my application January 13. I called on Monday and they said that they were hoping to get all decisions out by the end of this month or the first week of June. Has anyone heard anything in the last few weeks?

On 3/7/2017 at 9:08 PM, ChrisMSW109 said:

@chasingmydreams09 Thank you!  Here are the dates after looking over my notes, I submitted my application to the department 11/21 and received the confirmation of submission email 11/23.

As far as stats, I graduated from CSUF last year with a bachelors in English and a 3.01 cumulative GPA.

I applied to last year's admission cycle as an undergrad, so I am very blessed to have been accepted this time around.  My social work activities include: after-school mentoring for a non-profit program, volunteering at a V.A. hospital, and philanthropy work for a children's hospital. 

Last year, I only applied to CSULB and although the rejection letter stung, I didn't lose sight of my goal. This admission cycle, I applied to three schools (CSULB, CSUDH, CSUF) and so far I have been accepted by two of the three schools.  From what I've been told by the program coordinator, CSUF will be contacting applicants this month to interview.  Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

This time that you applied, did you do anything different from the last year? Did you get different references, re-do your personal statement? Did you attend the information workshops? 

@mlopez I made adjustments to make me a stronger candidate overall.  My cumulative GPA is some what respectable but I wondered if my English degree would hinder my chances, so aside from the prerequisite MSW application courses I took two courses related to social work.  I also added an extra social work activity along with the other volunteer work. My original application held references from two professional sources and one academic, but this year I felt that two academic references would better express my capacity and competence for a masters program considering my GPA. I read my original personal statement and did not like it, so I edited it to flow better; although I was accepted with it, I am still unhappy with my personal statement.  I did attend the information meeting and it gave me a good sense of the program.  If you have further questions or need more depth, feel free to ask.

I worked very hard to get here; my life revolved around getting into this program, and I do not take for granted the opportunity. I hope we can share this achievement one day, so do not give up @mlopez

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for 

On 5/23/2017 at 11:41 PM, ChrisMSW109 said:

@mlopez I made adjustments to make me a stronger candidate overall.  My cumulative GPA is some what respectable but I wondered if my English degree would hinder my chances, so aside from the prerequisite MSW application courses I took two courses related to social work.  I also added an extra social work activity along with the other volunteer work. My original application held references from two professional sources and one academic, but this year I felt that two academic references would better express my capacity and competence for a masters program considering my GPA. I read my original personal statement and did not like it, so I edited it to flow better; although I was accepted with it, I am still unhappy with my personal statement.  I did attend the information meeting and it gave me a good sense of the program.  If you have further questions or need more depth, feel free to ask.

I worked very hard to get here; my life revolved around getting into this program, and I do not take for granted the opportunity. I hope we can share this achievement one day, so do not give up @mlopez

Thank you for your kind words. I will not give up and will apply for 2018. The downfall is that I have to wait a whole year. :/ I thought I had a good chance getting in, but theres alot of factors that comes into getting accepted. Congrats on getting in and wish you the best :)

• 5 weeks later...

For the CSUs, if you receive notification early say in February or early March, how long do you have to decide if you want to accept admission? I'm applying to UCs as well and they don't release decisions till mid to late March. Anyone here apply to both CSUs and UCs and have a problem with this?