Berkeley Goldman MPP 2017

Foj

4 hours ago, 3dender said:

Well I will not be going there, so maybe my hypothetical funding will trickle down to y'all. . . you're welcome ^_^

2 hours ago, coffeebean13 said:

I'm going up for admit day in April, but it's currently ranked 3rd in my mind. So, unless something magical happens, I won't be going and hopefully my fellowship will get offered to someone else. 

Why are you deciding against Berkeley? 

I currently live about 20 minutes from Duke, got half-tuition paid there, and see myself ultimately settling on the East Coast.  

Last and least: as I understand it, Sanford's degree/network has more cache on the West Coast than Goldman's has in the East.  (I might be mistaken on this, and feel free to correct.)

23 hours ago, Nozistin said:

Hopefully. I got into Woo and am trying to leverage that for funding at GSPP but we'll see what happens. Trying to stay in California if possible because <3 Sun <3

Are you going to admit day at the Woo, too? 

And I know, I'll probably be going to the East coast. I looked up the weather in both Boston and Princeton, and it's below 32 degrees. I'm from San Diego, so I'm definitely going to miss the sun. 

23 hours ago, Obecalp said:

Why are you deciding against Berkeley? 

I really like the program and the students seem to be super smart and down to earth. However, I work and want to keep working in affordable housing and the other schools have great programs. I'm deciding between a joint MPP/urban planning degree at HKS/GSD (which would give me solid policy skills and stronger technical skills because of the urban planning degree) and a MPA at Woodrow Wilson. 

I want to work in DC after finishing my degree, so I think those two schools would be great to get connected. Also, WWS' financial package is amazing. 

22 hours ago, coffeebean13 said:

Are you going to admit day at the Woo, too? 

And I know, I'll probably be going to the East coast. I looked up the weather in both Boston and Princeton, and it's below 32 degrees. I'm from San Diego, so I'm definitely going to miss the sun. 

I have to work the weekend and can't really miss it. If GSPP doesn't up my funding, I'll probably take a well-funded offer I got in your neck of the woods (UCSD) for a Poli Sci PhD. I don't want to work in DC so moving out east seems like it won't be worth it plus I think I eventually want my PhD anyways so might as well.

Any thoughts from folks who attended Berkeley for undergrad? I feel it's not ideal to study in the same school, but my undergrad only had me take one class in the field of public policy, and I know it's vastly different to be part of a small graduate cohort than an undergrad student. I gradated in December 2011, so some time has passed, as well.

Debating between this and HKS, and for in-state tuition, ability to work, weather, and the quantitative nature of program, Berkeley feels like it has an edge, but I'm concerned about attending a place where I have previously studied.

18 minutes ago, poniesfly said:

Any thoughts from folks who attended Berkeley for undergrad? I feel it's not ideal to study in the same school, but my undergrad only had me take one class in the field of public policy, and I know it's vastly different to be part of a small graduate cohort than an undergrad student. I gradated in December 2011, so some time has passed, as well.

Debating between this and HKS, and for in-state tuition, ability to work, weather, and the quantitative nature of program, Berkeley feels like it has an edge, but I'm concerned about attending a place where I have previously studied.

Well, this really all depends on how much aid you received from HKS and GSPP. If none from either, I would say you should choose GSPP.

5 hours ago, poniesfly said:

What is so bad about attending a great university for both undergrad and grad? Of course it is not as exciting, but as you said, your experiences as an undergrad in a big state university and as a grad student in a small cohort will most likely differ. I did not go to Cal for undergrad, so obviously I cannot speak to it specifically. But regardless, it's a great choice to have between HKS and GSPP. You'll make a good choice no matter what you choose! :)

17 hours ago, poniesfly said:

From what I understand this is more an issue for PhD candidates, where it is considered better to diversify your institutions.  I'm not aware of it mattering at the Master's level, especially when you're talking about such a prestigious degree as Goldman's.

1 hour ago, coffeewalk said:

Has anyone heard back about additional funding from Martha? Also who is definitely attending? I'm so excited!

I declined the offer today. I had a generous package with full tuition + stipend. Hopefully that gets reallocated to you guys!

7 hours ago, coffeewalk said:

Has anyone heard back about additional funding from Martha? Also who is definitely attending? I'm so excited!

I was told I would hear back Thursday / Friday about additional funding. I know there is such a slight chance of getting additional funding, but I am still holding out some hope! 

22 hours ago, LifeOnMars said:

Where did you decide to attend, coffeebean?

I will be pursuing a joint MPP at HKS and Master in Urban Planning at the Harvard Graduate School of Design. It was a better fit. If it was just the MPP at HKS vs Goldman or MPA at WWS, I would've gone to Berkeley - The program, faculty, and students were phenomenal. 

On 4/12/2017 at 7:29 PM, coffeewalk said:

I am definitely attending!!! Are you??

5 minutes ago, fallmpp2017 said:

I am attending! Applying to GSI positions like mad!

Haha yes same! Though doing a 50% GSI position the first semester seems like a lot! I wonder when they will start sending out reader and research positions.

8 hours ago, ryt_wrng said:

Hey !! I am attending too. Do we have a facebook page for the incoming batch where we could discuss.  Also @fallmpp2017 how are you applying to these positions ?

On 4/18/2017 at 6:29 PM, coffeewalk said:

Haha yes same! Though doing a 50% GSI position the first semester seems like a lot! I wonder when they will start sending out reader and research positions.

Look at departmental websites and watch out for emails from Jalilah. If a departmental website does not have any info, email the person on staff that would be in charge of academic appointments. It seems like GSI / reader / GSR positions for incoming students is all dependent on your initiative, so I am trying to make sure I can do everything in my power to get that fee remission / stipend! I do not have an extra 10k lying around!

3 hours ago, fallmpp2017 said:

Look at departmental websites and watch out for emails from Jalilah. If a departmental website does not have any info, email the person on staff that would be in charge of academic appointments. It seems like GSI / reader / GSR positions for incoming students is all dependent on your initiative, so I am trying to make sure I can do everything in my power to get that fee remission / stipend! I do not have an extra 10k lying around!

Hey just a heads up to double check course and section times with courses you want to take at GSPP. Out of the like 15 polisci GSI positions, only 1 works with my schedule (I think).