Re-applying to clinical psychology phd programs

bubble_psych

Hi everyone!

i have some questions for those of you that have applied more than once to clinical psychology PhD programs and have gotten in:

1) What did you do differently?

2) If you contacted the school to ask about what areas of your application were weak, did you contact the PI or the admissions office? Phone call or email?

3) Do you think that having clinical research experience in many different fields could harm your application?

A little bit about my situation...

First time applying. Applied to 9 schools, but didn't hear back from any. 

3.4 overall GPA, 3.7 major GPA, 158 V 151Q 4.5W GRE, 86th percentile subject GRE.

I don't have the money to pursue a master's degree to increase my GPA

Research: Have worked as a research assistant for 1 semester in a visual cognition lab (human participants), 2 years in a psychophysiology lab (human participants),1 semester in a neuropsychology lab (human participants), 1 year at a top-ranked hospital (doing unrelated clinical research on digestive diseases) and 1 year at my current job doing systems neuroscience research (animal/translational). In most of the positions, I have been running studies, collecting data, processing data, and I helped out with part of a manuscript that seems like it will never get published :mellow:. In my current lab, however I have been able to work on projects independently from start to finish!

By next year I hope to have a third author publication, a first author publication, and 2 national conference presentations. I'm planning on retaking the GRE and applying to labs with a better fit. 

Let me know if you have any advice on ways to improve! :)

-Dr. Bubbles

Hi! Sorry, it's so incredibly competitive to get into these programs. I finally got in this cycle after 5-6 rounds of applying.

1. My undergrad GPA was 3.6 so I got an MA to boost my GPA and some experience points (wouldn't suggest it unless it's funded, I'll be paying for it forever ?). The biggest thing was getting publications and poster presentations. I had only 1 last time I applied; this time I had 5 total. 

2. In the past, I emailed the POI or DCT, depending on who I felt a better connection during interview. 

3. I don't think other fields will harm your application, I think it actually helped mine. Makes you a bit more interesting. 

Sounds like youre taking the right steps steps to having a stronger application. Your psych GPA is strong, you should be sure to highlight it on your resume/CV. Good luck! 

This is my first application cycle. I applied to 10 schools, interviewed at 4 and have been accepted to 2 programs (waiting on 1 more) and wait listed at another. The most important part of my applications was finding schools/mentors who's interests strongly aligned with my current and future interests. Having publications, posters, high gap is going to get you an interview, but really showing your interests through your statement is crucial. Take time to really strengthen what you are putting on your CV by highlighting skills that you can apply to graduate/professional career. 

Good luck with your future endeavors :)

I agree with the previous statements. I'd add that I have the same Psyc GPA as you but a lower cumulative GPA and I didn't need a masters to be accepted (and a competitive applicant) for my second round of applications. My first round I set up a call time with my POI and asked what I could do to be more competitive (I feel like email doesn't allow for as genuine of an answer). I worked 3 years full time in research and obtained a position running a lab, which helped a lot during my application process. The thing that made the biggest difference was pubs, presentations, personal statement, and fit. Honestly, I worked an extra 5-10 hours unpaid a week to write pubs and presentations. I made sure fit was a priority and took a year to search for potential POIs (I also reached out to them half a year in advance when I could). I also wrote my personal statement like a manuscript to show my strength in academic writing. Of course don't make it boring but it sets you apart when you can write something personal and interesting with an academic style of writing. Even with a low GPA I've had the ability to choose between some great institutions, so you can certainly do it without a masters and with some strategic planning!!

Edit: oh, also, I worked in a completely different psyc area for the 3 years, so no worries. I was given feedback from a POI that working in your area of interest can help your application but it won't break it. Depends on the POI really.

Edited by That Research Lady

Your general GRE scores are a bit low. You could make yourself more competitive by raising those scores. 

Getting some publications out will help a lot, especially a first authored one. Aside from that, it is  really important to show a good "fit" with the program and PI. Try to emphasize what makes you right for each specific program and lab in your personal statement. 

Best of luck. It is totally normal to have to apply multiple times. Chin up and take this time to strengthen your application.

This was my third cycle. I got in to doc programs in previous cycles, but they were either not funded or not yet accredited. After undergrad I completed a research-oriented masters. Unfortunately, it wasn't funded so I had to work full time while attending school. My grades suffered, I wound up with a 3.5. As a result, I did second masters degree (counseling psych) with additional research experiences. I was lucky to find a funded program. 

Every cycle of applications is different. You may get invites from a program one year and not the next. There are so many factors outside of our control as applicants. You could guess about about why you were attractive last go around and not this time until the cows come home and never hit on the real reason (and even if you were correct you would never know it). The same professors may or may not be a priority for taking new students. Funding may be scarce. Other applicants may be more attractive for any number of reasons. Departments may be shifting focus to new areas of research. In short, a million things that happen behind the scenes of a university that people outside of the faculty will never be privy to.

What I really focused on this last time around was being strategic about the POIs and programs to which I applied, contacting POIs sometimes a year before applying (I was able to exchange emails, have phone calls, Skype calls, and in-person meetings with many), obtaining bullet-proof recommendations from professors that know me well and can speak to my strengths at length, and crafting the best SOP/PS that accurately reflected my interests and career aspirations. Basically, I have devoted myself to being the best candidate I can be and recognizing that the rest is totally up to chance.

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies! :)

Another aspect I was worried about is the personal statement. It was creatively written and had a main theme interwoven into it. (My mentor gave me constructive criticisms while I was writing it, but he usually advises students that are applying to MD programs, so I'm not sure if it is in a format that is advantageous for PhD programs). So I have some questions for you:

If you had multiple PI's you were interested in working with, did you list both in your personal statement?

Is it more important to use the statement as a means to describe yourself (hardworking, creative, compassionate, etc.), or to give the reader a taste of how you think through problems?

Since I'm planning on retaking the GRE, I was also wondering if you have any good study resources? I used magoosh the first time around and although my membership expired, I have their E-book to use for the next round. Are there any other good resources?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, dr. bubbles said:

Another aspect I was worried about is the personal statement. It was creatively written and had a main theme interwoven into it. (My mentor gave me constructive criticisms while I was writing it, but he usually advises students that are applying to MD programs, so I'm not sure if it is in a format that is advantageous for PhD programs). So I have some questions for you:

If you had multiple PI's you were interested in working with, did you list both in your personal statement?

Is it more important to use the statement as a means to describe yourself (hardworking, creative, compassionate, etc.), or to give the reader a taste of how you think through problems?

Since I'm planning on retaking the GRE, I was also wondering if you have any good study resources? I used magoosh the first time around and although my membership expired, I have their E-book to use for the next round. Are there any other good resources?

Thanks!

For the GRE- if you have the money available I would recommend taking a GRE course. I took a Kaplan course and my scores significantly increased

For the Personal Statement- I used it as a way to express my current research interests and relevant experiences. I used it as a way to tie together my research experiences from college until now. The most important feedback was that I needed to make sure to expand on the skills that could apply to graduate work and not just simply list experiences. It was important to expand on how the things that I have been doing will translate well into a graduate school environment. 

If there was more than one POI at a program I made sure to list all of them as well as the connection between my research interests. Don't just put names in your statement to have more than one person... only really include POI's who are doing research that you can make a strong argument for.

Good luck :)

3 hours ago, dr. bubbles said:

Thanks!

Hello!

As an MA student in Clinical Psychology, I applied this cycle to 16 schools and interviewed at 9 (both Clinical and Counseling, which was exhausting...)-- I increased my GRE scores using the Kaplan course both in-class and online. For me, I found the online Kaplan courses more beneficial than the in-class portion. I've also used Magoosh in the past with decent success as well. 

For some of the schools I applied to, I had multiple PI's and addressed them all in my personal statement. I mentioned how they fit into my research interests and plans for future research. 

Throughout this process, my advisor told me to stay consistent with "my story" of why I wanted to be a clinical or counseling psychologist, why I was doing the research I was doing, and what the next steps were going to be. From the beginning of my MA program, my advisor told all of his advisees that every decision we made (research, practicum, posters, thesis topic) needed to fit into our story to show that the next logical step in our life would be a Ph.D. in clinical/counseling psychology. 

Good luck!

Edited by AnxGradStudent

16 hours ago, dr. bubbles said:

Thanks!

I listed both POs I was interested in but only if I had the relevant background research and could tie that to current/future projects.

I wouldn't call it a personal statement btw as I've had POIs equate that with college essays (apparently the SOP is different and more academic). Anyway while I tried to be creative in the execution of my SOP I think it should always come back to your research interests. You can have those qualities show up through examples (i.e I saw a gap in how recruitment was low for single parent mothers in our depression study so I got a grant to look at the effect of a campus volunteer childcare on participant retention. Being from that demographic I understood the financial burden and methodological strain such factors can have). That could encapsulate all three of those traits without ever mentioning any by name. So think of the SOP in layers and tell 1 but show both.

Magoosh was one of the better resources for me so I van help with that unfortunate :/ but best of luck!

On 3/20/2017 at 3:56 PM, AnxGradStudent said:

Hello!

As an MA student in Clinical Psychology, I applied this cycle to 16 schools and interviewed at 9 (both Clinical and Counseling, which was exhausting...)-- I increased my GRE scores using the Kaplan course both in-class and online. For me, I found the online Kaplan courses more beneficial than the in-class portion. I've also used Magoosh in the past with decent success as well. 

For some of the schools I applied to, I had multiple PI's and addressed them all in my personal statement. I mentioned how they fit into my research interests and plans for future research. 

Throughout this process, my advisor told me to stay consistent with "my story" of why I wanted to be a clinical or counseling psychologist, why I was doing the research I was doing, and what the next steps were going to be. From the beginning of my MA program, my advisor told all of his advisees that every decision we made (research, practicum, posters, thesis topic) needed to fit into our story to show that the next logical step in our life would be a Ph.D. in clinical/counseling psychology. 

Good luck!

I second naming at least a couple of POIs in the SOP (and of course explaining why you're interested in their lab). I wouldn't have gotten into the school I will be attending if I had only been considered for one lab.

Edited by metalpsychperson