Conduct Violations and Admissions

yochapa

Question

In the fall, I am going to begin my graduate school application process for Speech Pathology. I have some pretty good things going for me: a 3.8 GPA, 4.0 in my major, research experience, letters of recommendation lined up already, and an awesome internship opportunity coming up this summer. But, there is one small problem: I have conduct violations from my freshman year on my record (two violations related to underage drinking when I was 18).

I know how stupid it was to drink when I was 18, let alone in the dorms, but I was dumb and depressed and well, it happened. I went through the conduct process, learned my lesson, and even though I am now 21 years old I don't drink at all. The record of these incidents does not appear on my academic record, but it does appear on a separate conduct record.

I know that when I apply to grad school, there will be a question on the application asking whether I've ever had any conduct violations, and another about criminal offenses. I do not have a criminal record. My question is what would be the best approach to this? Do I NEED to report my offenses if they don't appear on my academic record? And further, how much will these offenses impact my chances of being accepted to a program?

Thank you so much for any insight you are able to provide! 

2 answers to this question

If you are able to explain yourself and your actions, it might be better to just own up to it. Explaining your reasoning and what you learned can give off the experience that you're a well rounded person. Because conduct and honor violations also stick on your record for five years I believe, they're most likely going to see it anyways. Most people understand that everyone makes mistakes. I was and am on the conduct and honor council for both my  grad and undergrad schools. Ultimately it's up to you, but it's better to just explain while you can rather than having them find out. If they don't ask, don't disclose.

On 3/21/2017 at 3:28 PM, yochapa said:

My question is what would be the best approach to this? Do I NEED to report my offenses if they don't appear on my academic record? And further, how much will these offenses impact my chances of being accepted to a program?

The best approach is not to lie. If they ask about it, tell them and explain what happened just like you did here. It was freshman year, it's over, and you learned your lesson. It shouldn't stop you from getting admitted to graduate programs. If they don't ask, they don't ask. I wouldn't volunteer details of any kind that aren't necessary, certainly not negative ones. As for how much detail -- not more than a couple of sentences. Basically a version of what you said here. No excuses, just straight up facts, taking responsibility and making it clear that it's firmly in the past.