CMU MIIS or Harvard CSE

bigjosh

Hi guys,

I am trying to decide between the Master of Intelligent Information System program at CMU and Computational Science and Engineering program at Harvard... Both programs are not funded.

Well I know CMU is one of the best school for CS major, but Harvard seems to have a better overall reputation. 

As for environment Boston sightly better than Pittsburg? But of course higher cost of living.

I had an undergraduate in CS at UIUC and would go for a software role at a tech company or a trading company after graduation from master's degree. 

How would you actually rate these two programs and two schools? Any other factors I should take into account when deciding?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey OP -- sorry that I don't have much help to give you on these two programs... Hopefully I'm not being too annoying to ask this, but I'm actually wondering if you could shed some light on your admissions profile.

I'm currently an undergrad at UIUC and I'm interested in applying to Harvard SM CSE, but I'm not sure how tough this program is to get in. Would you be willing to share any details on your GPA, GRE, or even what classes you took at UIUC?

Would it be necessary for me to take more advanced computational courses (like CS 450: Numerical Analysis, etc) in order to be accepted to the Harvard CSE program?

Thank you in advance! I'd really appreciate any info you could give.

• 2 weeks later...

Harvard does not have a good engineering reputation at all. That being said, a major called "Master of Intelligent Information System" sounds very very vague. If your goal is to break into tech industry, I think CMU is better name. If you want do go into wall street and do quant work, then the harvard program is prob better.