Hi! I am in serious need of help! I am currently a senior Psychology and Sociology major with no research experience other than the courses that I have taken in school. I switched my major to Psychology during the second half of my junior year. I wasn't able to acquire a seat in my school's psychology labs. I tried applying to summer undergraduate research programs, but I was either not eligible for the programs, or I was rejected. It may be too late, but does anyone know of psychology summer research programs that take graduating seniors? Any help will be much appreciated! 

Wait are you applying to grad school in the fall/upcoming cycle? Depending on what sub-field of psychology that you're applying for, a summer won't be enough. It also depends on where you're located as some programs are region specific. So I have a few questions:

1) What region are you in? Northeast, South etc

2) What field of psychology are you aiming for? What are you interested in?

3) Why not apply for lab manager/paid RA positions?

4) Are unfunded/volunteer positions an option?

Edited by 8BitJourney

On 4/11/2017 at 9:08 PM, 8BitJourney said:

Wait are you applying to grad school in the fall/upcoming cycle? Depending on what sub-field of psychology that you're applying for, a summer won't be enough. It also depends on where you're located as some programs are region specific. So I have a few questions:

1) What region are you in? Northeast, South etc

2) What field of psychology are you aiming for? What are you interested in?

3) Why not apply for lab manager/paid RA positions?

4) Are unfunded/volunteer positions an option?

Thanks!

1.) I'm in the Northeast region.

2.) So far, I'm interested in clinical psychology, cognitive psychology, and biopsychology. I wouldn't really know because I haven't had research experience. 

3.) Do you know where I can go looking for those? 

4.) Yes, that's an option to me. I'm open to anything really. Just want to get experience. 

4 hours ago, JohnSGrad95 said:

Thanks!

1.) I'm in the Northeast region.

2.) So far, I'm interested in clinical psychology, cognitive psychology, and biopsychology. I wouldn't really know because I haven't had research experience. 

3.) Do you know where I can go looking for those? 

4.) Yes, that's an option to me. I'm open to anything really. Just want to get experience. 

Hi!

It is definitely better to start now than never. I honestly did not start acquiring lab experience until around my 4th (final) year and I just got accepted into a grad program after my 2nd round of applications, so don't feel you are too late to the ballgame.

In terms of finding a volunteer lab, I found that it was very useful to try and connect with professors within your department as they may have ongoing studies. Sometimes professors may not even have a lab but they still conduct research every year and need help with lit reviews, participants, running a computer study etc. I would say:

1) Find proffs that are active with research, ask them if they would take you on a volunteer basis (sell them on why you would be good, GPA etc.)

2) Apply to organizations/hospitals that do clinical research (teaching hospitals), find the departments that are active within research (not just giving counselling services)

3) Apply for paid positions. These are really hard to come by- especially if you have no experience within research. Even with my RA position, and being accepted to a program, I cannot get an interview for the few job postings that come up

Also..... potentially expect it to be either harder or easier to get a proff that will take you on during the summer. I know a lot of proffs can either: use the summer for part sabbatical or time off, or use the summer to conduct and finish research studies.

Hope this helps! good luck.

Hi JohnSgrad95, I'm a Chinese sophomore with not much researching experience and I just got a summer RA position in US. I can give you some advice based on my experience. 

1) Since you' re a domestic student and you don't need to apply for J1 visa, it is not too late to start now.

2) Though you mentioned any position will do, you still need to narrow down your interest. Which field do you prefer, clinical or cognitive? I mention this because when you try           reaching out for an RA position,  the professor or lab manager will also evaluate your potential fit for this position. 

3) As I know, most programs end at March. And I highly recommend you don't waste time on such programs since you don't have any past research experiences. I tried apply for    such programs and got two interviews. But finally I got two rejection. Usually those programs have a hundred applicants from all over the world. If you don't have much          experience in the relevant field--just like me, they will not likely to offer you a position. 

4) I would recommend you to directly contact the professor in email, asking them if they would like to offer you a position and state that you don't need any funding. If the               professor do want to take you, he will probably set an interview or require one or more letters of recommendation. In the email, you should attach your CV or resume and tell the professor you are interested in his research. For the first round, you can try send 10-15 emails. If you are lucky enough like me, you can get a position in this round. If all of the professors refused to take you, you can try another round. I know a student who sent out 100 emails and finally got an RA position and most students succeeded as long as they keep trying. You can first try professors in your own university and then try professors in other Universities.

Good luck!:)

When you send a cv, add a cover letter as well. It makes you look more serious/professional. Also don't be afraid to move for a paid position! The northeast is a great place for this. I did and it was worth the experience (and extra pocket change). Full time work in research really helped fine tune my interests and was one of the reasons I did well this application season. Good luck!