Let's talk about student debt/benefits

Hi everyone! Many of us will be starting graduate school next Fall, so I thought it would be a good time to start talking about loans. How much do you plan to be taking out to cover school?

Also, for those of you who are older students or not on your parents' insurance plan, did you go through your school to receive health insurance? Any info on this would be great!

I went back to school in 2011 for a change of careers. As I had done a paralegal program in the early days of such programs, it was done in a continuing ed  classroom at Lamar University in Beaumont and I had to begin my degree from the beginning. Because I live in such a rural area, there really was not much chance for work during my BA so depended on both grants and loans to make it. I worked throughout my M.A. as a grad assistant in the English Dept. but still needed loans to make it. I have been fully funded with stipend, waivers of tuition, and health insurance at my Ph.D. program. As far as loans are concerned, I will be taking them out the first year in order to pay for the move, but that is it. I have additional income now that I didn't have in the past and my tuition is covered.

Apartments are pretty pricey in the area of Houston where UH is located. I looked earlier as I applied to Rice and really wanted to move back to Houston. My daughter lives in far NW Harris County and I even looked out there--somewhat less costly. Depending on what your funding from UH is like, you may need loans throughout your degree. You don't say whether you are going for a Master's or Ph.D. and the length of time you are in grad school could influence your decision to get loans or not.

Good luck!

When my DH was a grad student, his last semester I was on unpaid maternity leave and no longer had health insurance coverage through my previous employer. At that time, it was cheapest to have him and our kids on the student plan and me buy my own individual "catastrophic" plan through my alma mater's alumni association. Obamacare did away with "catastrophic" plans but the new administration may allow them to be sold again. So when the fall rolls around, make sure you price out your options and don't automatically sign up for the student plan.