Prospective MPP candidate saying hi and asking for advice!

Hey guys,

I have been a silent lurker on this site for a long time! I've finally decided to post with the traditional "what are my chances" post! Hoping I can get some advice on here for my applications to MPP programs. I understand that no one here is an expert and can give perfect answers, but some direction about how my profile stands will be very helpful in deciding :) 

I am looking to apply for fall 2018 for MPP/MPA programs to mid-to-top-tier colleges such as SIPA, IHEID, LSE, LKYSP, Fels', Sanford.. Still working out this list of course, but essential a course that focuses on overall development policies, good combination of theory and practice and a flexibility in courses, esp quant (ie, not quant heavy). 

My application background is as follows:

Undergrad school: B.A in Economics (major) with sociology and political science majors from top 5 arts college in India

GPA: 3.6 with an undergraduate thesis

Other qualifications: Diploma in leadership and liberal arts from a competitive and renowned fellowship program

Work Experience: Currently 1.5yrs in a not-for-profit (social enterprise incubator and investor), 1 month of development consultancy work in Vietnam and 1 yr as a co-founder of a social enterprise

GRE: 160V/158Q

Volunteer/Public Service experience: none since graduating college. I was much more involved in volunteering in college (head of social action club, publications, and editor of a few department magazines) and internships in think tanks 

Look forward to hearing from all of you and learning more as we go through this grueling process soon! Thanks! 

23 hours ago, Charizard_MPP said:

Hey guys,

I have been a silent lurker on this site for a long time! I've finally decided to post with the traditional "what are my chances" post! Hoping I can get some advice on here for my applications to MPP programs. I understand that no one here is an expert and can give perfect answers, but some direction about how my profile stands will be very helpful in deciding :) 

I won't be the right person to answer because I will be applying too. I have a bachelor and a master's degree in economics from Brandeis University. I am teaching micro and macroeconomics at the American University outside U.S., and I have public service experience too. I will be working on my application for HKS, SIPA, and Duke.

Good luck with your application Charizard_MPP!

You may not get many bites on your question because there's a really long thread devoted to this issue -- it may answer your questions if you read it first.

This one: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/23492-the-am-i-competitive-thread-read-me-before-posting/?page=37