Jump to content

prospectivegrad1

Members
  • Content Count

    33
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About prospectivegrad1

  • Rank
    Caffeinated

Profile Information

  • Application Season
    2017 Fall
  • Program
    Molecular Biology

Recent Profile Visitors

886 profile views
  1. Okay--same thing happened to me earlier today as well!
  2. Has anyone gotten a response email from NSERC after emailing them to accept the award? @Jibster @jakeopolis
  3. Okay same! Good to know I'm not the only one
  4. Also got PGSD3! Has anyone officially accepted the award yet by emailing NSERC? If yes, should we expect a response email from them? I emailed them on Tuesday but no response yet!
  5. Probably just a little bit. I don't like talking about prestige but I believe the ranking of prestige is: Stanford > UCSF > Berkeley. Again, I would go where ever you are happiest but, all else equal, Stanford will give you a slight lead in terms of marketability. Will this slight lead make the difference between landing an industry job and not? I don't know because I'm not in industry but it could.
  6. Okay, if you are equally as happy at all 3 schools, then I think Stanford will give you an advantage in terms of marketability.
  7. Which school has more PIs you are interested in rotating with?
  8. If you're very certain that all 3 schools are a great scientific fit for you, then I would personally recommend Baltimore. I think the experience of moving out is invaluable, which eliminates SF. I think your interactions with other graduate students and how you fit in the cohort is important, so if the community at UPenn is not the right fit for you, I would eliminate UPenn. Baltimore is probably not as dangerous as people think it is; I also interviewed at Hopkins and all the students over there were very happy and seemed to not think that safety is a huge concern.
  9. Both are really good schools. I would let the science guide your decision, and by the looks of it, UCSF seems to have more PIs you are interested in so I would go with UCSF.
  10. Once you get an interview invite, you've defeated 70% of the battle, and I think interviews fill in the remaining 30%. Your interview experience is highly dependent on your interviewer. I think the few people who don't get accepted post-interview are the ones who got unlucky and got interviewers who would continuously grill them. I think interviewers are looking for 3 things from you: knowledge of your own research project (based on your ability to answer the questions they ask you about your research), ability to communicate your research project, and enthusiasm/ability to ask go
  11. Has anyone heard back from Stanford Biosciences (Developmental Biology)? I just heard that this program does not take a lot of students each year...
  12. Hey all, Hope everybody's application cycle is going well so far! I wanted to step aside from the interview frenzy and bring up some questions about external funding in the US/funding in general in the US. I'm Canadian so I'm not particularly knowledgeable about how this stuff works. i) As far as I know, my stipend will be paid by my PI; my tuition is paid by the department. True? ii) If I secure external funding some time during graduate studies (from NIH or other funding agencies), will this money go towards covering the stipend paid by my PI? Will it go towards covering my t
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.