Jump to content

DDolores

Members
  • Content Count

    28
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by DDolores


  1. 50 minutes ago, IndigoSky said:

    So, April 15 is coming up and it doesn't seem like I'll be getting off of the waitlist for some of the schools that I want to get into. I'm about to accept an offer super far away from home (in Texas); is there a way to accept the offer and not put in the deposit to a little while until I completely hear back from the waiting list from my top school? Or is it not worth the wait at this point?? 

    There's a thread about this on the main SLP page. You can totally put down a deposit and rescind, you'll just lose your deposit. You can call your dream school and ask when the latest is you would hear back.


  2. 2 hours ago, speechpathy said:

    @Jordyn_M463 Yeah it is super stressful! The programs I was accepted into didn't offer me a Graduate Assistantship, but thankfully the school I've decided to go to has a really great scholarship they offered me. This however doesn't provide me with a stipend so I need to find a small part-time job. But making minimum wage isn't enough to pay for an apt, so I'm stuck right about now. Considering finding a roommate, but scared it'll end up being some type of psycho lol. Yeah, a small job like that would be nice. Those are good suggestions. 

    Could you find a roommate in your program through your school's FB page?


  3. 6 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

    I got loans as well as grants from the university, so I'm hoping that is a good sign. The other school I'm waitlisted at hasn't given me a package yet and neither have my reject schools. Hoping that it means they're planning on accepting me

    You should call the school! They'll be able to tell you what's going on (hopefully). Crossing my fingers for you!


  4. I feel weird even posting this, because I might be jinxing myself, but I'm #2 at a very popular program (and my top choice).

    I've only gotten into one school, and it'll cost $80-90K in loans (I applied because sometimes they have financial aid packages for former civil servants- didn't get one). I'm leaning towards turning them down and hoping on the waitlist while I search for SLPA jobs. Does this make sense? What would you do? 


  5. 9 hours ago, egomez16 said:

    This wait is killing me ! I am waiting on CSUEB, Fresno State, and Fullerton. CSUEB and Fullerton already sent out interview invitations and I haven't heard a thing from both so that's already a bad sign. I'm really starting to lose hope here I just need a chance. 

     

     

    Applying: CSUEB, CSU Chico, CSUF, Fresno State,  University of the Pacific, University of Nevada, Reno

    Interviewed (0/6), Accepted (0/6), Waitlisted (2/6), Rejected (1/6)

    Top Choice: University of the Pacific and CSUEB :unsure:

    If it makes you feel better, I'm fairly sure I'm going to turn down my UoP acceptance. I just don't know if I can handle the $80K tuition. 


  6. 3 hours ago, SA13 said:

    Thank you so much for your insight! As I previously mentioned, I attend university of Houston and commute to school. I didn't really get the "college experience" which I'm kind of longing for. I'm guessing living in round rock won't give me that feel huh?

    I live in NW Austin right now. Round Rock is definitely not a college town. I think there's plenty to do there, but it's not somewhere to go bar hopping. While it's more conservative and religious than Austin, it's starting to expand its art and craft beer scene. I'm from Houston and IMO Round Rock is more like the Clear Lake area than downtown. I think you could live in north Austin and commute if you wanted. Most programs have class a few days a week.


  7. On 1/24/2018 at 10:16 PM, weewaffle2017 said:

    I just received an email today that I was invited to the Feb 24th interview :) I live in Michigan so it's going to be a bit of a trip but I think I"m gonna go.

    They let me arrange a Skype interview! It would cost me almost $500 to physically go to the interview on the 16th (on such short notice). 


  8. I'm leaning towards not bringing it up unless they do. Did you try to defer last year? If you did try and it just didn't work out or you couldn't defer, then you could bring your initial application up to emphasize that you've always known this school would be a great fit for you. 


  9. I grew up in the Houston area and just got back from a visit yesterday. The heat and humidity are real, but the culture is amazing. There is always something to do, every single person you meet greets you like a friend, and the area around Rice in particular is gorgeous. Assuming you can study on the plane, how much study time are you losing? 24 hours for a permanent life change seems worth it to me.


  10. 14 minutes ago, _kita said:

    To add to that, if the professor agrees,  you can also ask if they have a timeline in mind when you should expect the letter. That way you can write it down and follow-up as the date gets closer to their deadline without "bugging" them.

    I've found that it's more helpful to professors if you simply tell them, "I'm planning to submit by X date. Does that work for you?" That way they don't feel flustered trying to figure out when they should write it by. 


  11. 10 minutes ago, azure said:

    I am looking into the SLP programs that I can apply for Fall 2018, but I'm having some dilemma. School A requires more graduate coursework and research, and it offers courses such as Cranial Facial Abnormity (cleft palate) and two challenging courses in neurogenic communication disorders. On the other hand, School B requires no research, and it requires less coursework and doesn't offer specific courses in cleft palate and neuro, thus it's less challenging. I understand School A will get me more prepared for my SLP career, and I need to learn cleft palate and neuro stuff for my long-term professional development. However, my immediate concern is to survive grad school, and I believe I can do better with school B as it is less challenging.

     

    Getting into school for Speech Pathology is incredibly difficult, and you might want to apply for both anyway. However, if you have the choice between attending either, I would definitely go to school A. Speech Pathology is a service career. If you can improve the quality of services your patients will receive, you should. At the end of the day it's what's going to make you a better SLP. 

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.