ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes
Members-
Posts
49 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Everything posted by ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes
-
Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to dancedementia's topic in Psychology Forum
Totally speculating here, but I wouldn't expect many PIs to reach out first thing in the morning, so you could maybe pause the anxiety from midnight-12pm. My thinking is that they're usually excited to make these offers, so they'd want to do it ASAP. If they're waiting for approval from a committee or something, they'd find out during the day and email you later. Prob won't find out at night and then wait until 9am to email you. But again...totally extrapolating -
Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to dancedementia's topic in Psychology Forum
I got one late at night (like 10ish) and one right at the end of the work day (5ish) -
Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to dancedementia's topic in Psychology Forum
I didn't read everyone else's responses to this, but you won't necessarily hear until after they interview everyone. I have a (lab manager) friend who told me last year her PI in a cognitive lab interviewed people, made multiple offers that got declined, then ended up making an offer to someone who they'd never even interviewed. I'm sure this is rare, but it's one example of a reason a PI would hold off on sending notifications. -
Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to dancedementia's topic in Psychology Forum
boutta make a burner email account to anonymously ask all my programs where they're at in the review process -
Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to dancedementia's topic in Psychology Forum
I applied for developmental but no! (Lowkey losing my mind over it because when we spoke in october my POI really hyped up how quickly they supposedly review apps) -
Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to dancedementia's topic in Psychology Forum
She's probably hasn't been in the office much if it's still their winter break. It's also grant writing season for a lot of professors. If she wasn't interested, she wouldn't have responded that positively to your first email...your best bet at this point is probably just to wait it out. -
Venting Thread- Vent about anything.
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to MoJingly's topic in The Lobby
Right?! Like I don't care that it exists but no one should be able to find it. And this is the only person who I've already committed to interview with ? -
Venting Thread- Vent about anything.
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to MoJingly's topic in The Lobby
This thread seems like a good void to shout this into: I did some light googling of my POIs the other night and stumbled upon one of their pinterest boards...full of erotica. Public and with their name on it. I'm 100% sure it's actually them and not someone with the same name, because of other context clues. Is this a red flag or just a sign that I should stop googling people and pretend I never saw this? -
Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to dancedementia's topic in Psychology Forum
Lol I know exactly who you applied to based on the use of "super" alone. Congrats!!! -
RA/Lab Manager/Post-Bacc
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to psychotheatre's topic in Psychology Forum
I recommend finding a listserv for your subfield! E.g. I was interested in cognitive development, so I joined the Cogdevsoc listserv senior year and had lab manager job announcements emailed to me at least weekly starting in December. Not sure if there's something similar for clinical, social, etc., but it's worth asking a professor or adviser about. I also second the "two year position if you can" advice...I took a job in a new state with only 1 year guaranteed (2 if grant funding comes through), and was overly optimistic about that second year happening until my PI made it clear that I should apply to grad school as a backup (I did, and we still don't know about the grant). I love the lab I'm in and would still probably take this job if I could go back, but the stress was intense. From September - December I constantly felt like I was failing either at research ideas, management, or the application process because it's ridiculous to jump right into all 3 at the same time. Thankfully my PI and labmates have been incredibly supportive and I did manage to refine my interests a bit in my 6 months here, so I might actually have a shot this cycle. But again, if you have a 2-year option that matches your interests well, definitely take that into consideration!- 14 replies
-
- ra
- lab manager
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Yay! Glad to see some more people in here! And yeah...most of the programs I applied to were developmental, and it's been somewhat comforting that at least there was a forum to obsessively check for those. But I'm getting antsy about the 2 cognitive programs I applied to (Northwestern and WashU). Def wish clinical would secede
-
Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes replied to dancedementia's topic in Psychology Forum
Same! The first PI contacted me ONE business day after I applied and set the bar unrealistically high. I'm dying -
Fall 2019 Cognitive Psychology Applicants
ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes posted a topic in Psychology Forum
I haven't seen anyone posting about cognitive psych programs and it's making me weirdly anxious, so here is a thread for that.
