Chex
Members-
Posts
221 -
Joined
-
Days Won
11
Everything posted by Chex
-
CONGRATS @everything bagel lover!!! 🎉 And a belated Happy Birthday to @curfew! Wishing you all the awesome things.
-
I'm out of reactions, but yes! They're sweeping everything, love it for them! Great for those waitlisted at these programs; their chances are looking good.
-
Can't believe there's been nothing from WashU so far. They've never (per recent records) been this late with decisions. And to think that their deadline this time was a full 2 weeks earlier than usual. Wonder what's keeping them. But on the other hand, the week is long and much more WILL happen between now and Friday/the weekend. Buckle up, folks. Eyes on Michigan, Iowa, UNLV and more.
-
That's pretty rotten of them. And yeah, I've observed that many of these schools don't even use the preferred name they ask for. Their loss. As you said, the rejection is a blessing in disguise. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that I (and some others) love your username on the spreadsheet. Been rooting for "mr butt". 😃 Congratulations on JHU and wishing you the very best with it.
-
Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of this, but good to know (in case future applicants are reading; I hope I personally don't have to apply again 😉). Other MFA programs I know of that offer fee waivers to international applicants include Brown, Johns Hopkins, Cornell, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, Wash U St Louis, UW-Madison, and University of Virginia. Some of these are automatic and general, some are limited and have additional conditions/steps.
-
Oh nice. Hoping you get better news from the remaining programs. How/when were you able to get BU to waive your fee? I asked in December and they said they couldn't. I guess I assumed it's just not something they do. @Nauna The fabled spreadsheet is housed in a Facebook group called MFA Draft '25. You'd have to join to access it.
-
Oregon State? Congratulations!!
-
Absolutely. One doesn't lose an acceptance just because they missed a phone call. Also, everyone who gets accepted eventually gets an email laying out the details.
-
Rooting for you to find your way and your place, no matter what. I know it's terrifying to feel untethered, especially when you're no longer fashionably young. But some of the best things come in their own time, and I sincerely hope the future unfolds beautifully for you. ✨
-
Congratulations!!! Vandy's a dream! 🎉 P.S.: Oh wow, @jinny-r, super glad to hear it, congratulations! 🥰 P.P.S: The day's just starting and I'm running out of reactions already. I hope we receive more good news!!!
-
Just got the Phase 2 notification from Ole Miss. Progressed to Round 2 for Fiction. Congrats to you, too, @Mystic_Sunshine!
-
Totally get it. I've been feeling looser/freer/more confident in my approach to writing lately. The stress of the waiting season caught up with me not long ago, and after rolling around in the aches, something cracked open in me. I find myself calmer, less afraid, and more focused on the things I want to read and write. Neither approval nor disapproval means that much anymore, and I just want to roll up my sleeves and write the things I want to write. This is the part I can control. This is the part that means the most to me, and nothing happens without the writing. I feel better prepared to face the notifications coming soon because the MFA is not my ultimate goal. My goal is to write, and subsequently, to be read. I think it's great that you're writing a lot. There's nothing better than these periods of complete absorption/immersion in your own writing. They're precious. Doesn't matter if I'm writing horseslop, it is MY horseslop, and it can be improved upon.
-
YAY!!! Fingers crossed funding works out and you receive even more acceptances. Congratulations!
-
It isn't just this year. Three is their usual number each year. Three in fiction and three in poetry. It's one of the smallest cohorts and lowest acceptance rates.
-
Yep. Someone mentioned their poems had been published multiple times in elite mags and they were still rejected. They applied again the next year and were rejected everywhere but Iowa. They eventually graduated from IWW with multiple awards, accolades, and significant career recognition/success.
-
BIG CONGRATS!!!!! 🎉🎊
-
Yes, that's the results page. You can filter your search by typing "creative writing" or "mfa" into the search box.
-
Pardon my French and this digression, but who the phuck is Mark Eriksson? Some spammer on the results page keeps posting jabs about them. P.S: Just Googled. Seems like some kind of professor (if I got the right person). LOL, way to obsess. Just let it go, dude, damn!
-
Big congrats!!!
-
Congrats on Indiana!! I co-sign this mesaage.
-
Any time between now and the next two weeks is typical. Next week seems like a ripe time, though. Best of luck!
-
I can see a poetry waitlist now, too. I believe it's safe to assume that decisions for poetry have gone out. If patterns from previous years hold, then fiction applicants can expect to hear back in about two or three weeks. Thanks for letting us know! Wishing you good luck with the rest of your applications.
-
This is awesome. Congratulations!!!
-
That appeared like five hours ago. And it's for a PhD, not MFA. I don't think it's fake. It's a different program and process. Everything we calculate here is a guestimate until we hear back from these programs. You can't rule anything out, really. And I forgot to mention that the 3pm-ish calls/emails were based on *acceptance notifications from last year. Rejections don't quite follow such a predictable timeline. There's not much for it but to wait and see. They'll contact us when they contact us. Patience.
-
Unfortunately, I now refresh the Draft notification sheet at the rate of one refresh per 5-minute interval. (As if if EYE got admitted they wouldn't call or email me directly). Damn, this is gonna be a long week. From my observations, they tend to notify in the afternoon, Eastern Time. Often around 3pm ET.
