Chex
Members-
Posts
221 -
Joined
-
Days Won
11
Everything posted by Chex
-
I agree. While there can be some trends in acceptances (e.g., a set of applicants getting accepted across multiple programs), these trends are not mathematical. People regularly get rejected at lower-ranked programs and get accepted at higher-ranked ones. It IS subjective. If you look at the spreadsheet on Draft, some of those rejected by Ole Miss in Phase 1 already have acceptances from other programs. It's the same with submitting writing for publication. I've had a piece rejected by what you might call "safety" lit mags, and then picked up by a long shot lit mag to my utter surprise. We're often tempted to judge ourselves by rejections and to catastrophize what that means for us, but I'm here to tell you (and myself) that a rejection is just that: one rejection. It has no bearing on your pending applications. You can mourn it and let it go. There are other chances ahead and other places that might like your work.
-
I've seen a number of people with MAs in Creative Writing, both from within and outside the US, go on to get MFAs in the US. Matter of fact, someone who got the one-year MA from University of Kansas got multiple acceptances from MFA programs a couple years ago, and ended up choosing Cornell. It's not prior MAs that limit your chances, it is prior MFAs in Creative Writing, because MFAs are their own class of degree. Your one-year MA barely gives you the same of amount of time or nature of coursework. It's largely preparatory. I wouldn't worry about it. Mid March is the general time for MFA programs in the Literary Arts department.
-
Thank you! 🫂
-
Y'all, I'm on three straight Rs at the moment and... ('panicking' is too dramatic a word for what I'm feeling, so I'm going to go with 'congealing') congealing in spirits. 😭😭 I'm surprisingly not feeling too terrible about it. I think all who got accepted or waitlisted eminently deserved it and your joy gives me joy. My writing/application is good but maybe not so good enough yet, so I appreciate the feedback. I know it's still really early and anything can change at a moment's notice (I certainly hope it does!), but I'm also seriously considering the very real possibility that I get in nowhere. What a bummer. Bummer. Bummer. I'd still be super proud of myself, though. I bet on myself. Despite everything going on in my life, I believed I deserved to get a spot in one of the most elusive and exclusive graduate programmes in the world, and I fought for myself! Love that for me and I'm not stopping! I'm going to keep writing my heart out and someday someone will hear me!! Good luck to us all as the rest of the season unfolds. Bring on the decisions, ye MFA lordlings!!!
-
Thank you. I'll be sending you extra positive vibes and good luck for U Washington🕯️
-
Hell, yeah! Let the good news roll!! Congratulations!!! I also applied to Madison, so I'm gonna keep my eyes and ears peeled. Congrats, Rixor. I'm really glad for your success. I hope these waitlists turn into acceptances for you. What are your top programs?
-
I love this!! So happy for you. 💯 This; but also, it's not over until it's over, @branch. No mentions of waitlists yet. You could be on the waitlist, don't discount that! And people often get in through the waitlist. Still rooting for you!
-
I'm also out of reactions, so congrats @jadedoptimist, @girlgenius, and lychees! What genre are you, @lychees?
-
Congratulations!!!
-
Here goes: 1. Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid (M/M, this is THE hockey romance, book 2 of mostly standalone series called the Game Changers series. You can read this one first or go in order, if you prefer). 2. His Quiet Agent by Ada Maria Soto (Really wonderful asexual romance) 3. Glitterland by Alexis Hall (one MC has bouts of mental illness) 4. Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall (romcom) 5. Jericho by Ann McMan (slow burn F/F romance) 6. The Drake Chronicles series by Lauren Gilley (book series, romantasy set in ancient times, magic, dragons, intrigue and action, multiple couples; first book is called Heart of Winter) 7. Muscling Through by J.L. Merrow (opposites attract, a university professor and someone considered 'slow') 8. Special Forces - Soldiers by Aleksandr Voinov, Marquesate, Vashtan (Military M/M set in the 80s. Content warning: this is dark romance. Like, fucked up shit. Terrible things happen. Don't read this if it might be too much for you. But also, good stuff happens. It is an intense and amazing story) 9. The Last Kiss by Sally Malcolm (Beautiful historical romance set around/after WW1) 10. Thrown Off the Ice by Taylor Fitzpatrick (hockey romance. Content warning: it starts innocuously enough but this is not exactly textbook romance) 11. Wingmen by Ensan Case (early gay romance published in the 70s? Set during WW2. Great story. Packs a big emotional punch) 12. Peter Cabot Gets Lost by Cat Sebastian (Historical romance set in the 1960s) 12. We Could Be So Good by Cat Sebastian (same as above) 13. The Sleeping Soldier by Aster Glenn Gray (someone supposedly dies in the 1860s but only fell asleep à la Sleeping Beauty. He wakes in the 1960s and must deal with living in the modern world) 14. Red Dirt Heart series by N.R. Walker (Australia, large farm) 15. Galaxies and Oceans by N.R. Walker Let's stop here for now, LOL. There's a lot more where that came from.
-
Hello! I am the romance head. I read romance like I drink water. It is my drug, it is my escape, it is my pleasure, it is my relief. I particularly enjoy queer (adult) romance. Keeps me sane in this wild world. Lmk if you want recs.
-
Happened to me, too. Took literal days before the post was approved.
-
Woah, okay. I strongly hope other great opportunities that align better with where you are in life do come up for you, and that you receive all the support you need to nurture your writing. A JHU waitlist is a big sign that you're doing something right. Keep at it!
-
Wow, congrats!! That's some serious stats. *Now refreshing my email just in case* Applying to only two schools is brave. Thrilled you're waitlisted at one already. Fingers crossed you make it in! I'm guessing the other school is Iowa? Cornell? (I'm saving the third guess for now)
-
I'm out of reactions but sending plenty of goodluck your way 💕🫂
-
Rixor!!! Wow. Super proud and happy for you! I remember mere weeks ago when you were so worried you wouldn't get in anywhere. Look at you now! Having a great application season. Really hoping this waitlist turns into an acceptance for you!
-
That's great, congratulations!!
-
Word has it that JHU has already sent acceptances and waitlists for fiction, and will be reaching out with rejections in the next few days. (Two people on Draft reported emailing them and getting this response.) As for Wash U, have you logged into your portal to check for an update? Might be there already, or maybe they haven't sent out all responses and will be reaching out very soon.
-
Congratulations! Bummer about Wash U and ASU. Rejections are inevitable in this thing, even for the most successful applicants. Glad you have some good news already to cushion the effect. A Syracuse acceptance is HUGE. Congratulations are in order!
-
Based on stats from previous years, Notre Dame sends out invites for interviews in February, and acceptances as from March. WUSTL doesn't do interviews. I think it's still worth it to reset your password and see for yourself, even if it's a rejection. 🫂 Rooting for you!
-
Oh, I love that for you! And you're right, the mentorship and being in community with other writers are priceless gains from a good MFA. I hope we get into programs that nurture and nourish us!
-
Same. I hope I don't have to apply again, but if I do, what will be foremost in my mind when putting together my writing sample and SOP will be: 'How likely is this to stand out and make the top 20 among hundreds of (or even a thousand) applications?' But of course top 20 is still not good enough for MFAs admitting only 3 to 4 people per genre. Writing is always subject to individual tastes and there may be other reasons why an applicant is rejected, but I feel like keeping this guiding principle in mind would help one make tougher choices that tighten one's application. By the way, congratulations to everyone who was accepted or waitlisted at WUSTL! True about the question of what comes next. But I hope that an MFA would also give one more time to think and plan towards that. People who need more time away often say they prefer 3-year MFA programs, while those with more concrete plans typically want a 2-year MFA.
-
Your situation is not one of the more common ones but I know of people in their 40s and 50s applying to or currently attending MFA programs. They usually have children, though most of them are American. A few have mentioned on Draft (the Facebook group) that they're not interested in teaching. As an international applicant with children, you'll have more concerns to consider. I'd definitely advise applying only to fully-funded programs with higher stipends, and perhaps researching what support they have for parents. I admire your courage in taking this bold step for yourself (even though you're still considering your options). I sincerely hope things work out beautifully for you. I'm applying to MFA programs primarily because I want time to write, be among writers, and build a strong foundation for myself in the literary world. I don't mind teaching (I think I might enjoy it based on my very brief & informal experience teaching younger students), but what I hear from TAs & adjuncts in the US are mostly horror stories. They say it can be draining and the market is terrible. I keep that in mind, moderate my expectations, and try to look into alternative paths. I'm just into my 30s, an international applicant with no children. I have a master's degree in a different field but my career is nothing to write home about at the moment. Things have been difficult for some years but I have hope they'll swing around soon. I'm learning not to put my eggs in one basket, so I continue to look out for other opportunities to support myself and my writing. There are no easy answers. This is my first time applying and I might have made a few blunders in my application. I still hope I get into a great program; but if I don't, I'll find something sustainable to occupy me until I can apply again (if an MFA remains an attractive path for my writing journey).
-
Woah, that's weird. Did they provide a reason? I know they don't accept people who work at MFA programs (such as faculty and admissions personnel), which is why those who request to join have to answer three questions on the page. I haven't heard of waitlists but people have reported acceptances on Draft.
-
Love this and welcome! I feel you on the your future having a lot of possibilities thing. It's the same for me and it's both scary and exciting. I'm honestly loving your interest in both MFAs and French MAs; that's so cool! I'm glad you've grown in your writing and have cultivated a meaningful practice. Wishing you good luck this season, and I'll be rooting extra hard for you re NC State!
