truckbasket
Members-
Posts
214 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
8
Everything posted by truckbasket
-
email or no email?
truckbasket replied to Amalia222's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Do they offer a PhD in Creative Writing? A swift googling brings up that very same question from others. It seems that many programs use a general umbrella title with an emphasis; for example a PhD in English with a specialization in Psychic Pottery, or a PhD in American Studies with emphasis on Cat Wrangling or whatever. I think there's some weird accreditation/WASCY type stuff involved with a specific category such as this, and that is why there are relatively few bona fide PhDs in Creative Writing. The schools that grant that specific degree had to go down certain paths to gain that right. Case in point: my U.G. had to jump through all kinds of fiery bureaucratic hoops to get some of their sub-field majors established. P.S. Congrats on getting in! Rad to the max! -
Advice for ugrad sophomore
truckbasket replied to basicpolitics's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Yeah, there seems to be some flexibility as to how this is done. A couple of the schools I applied to asked for a signed statement of proficiency, something that detailed when and where I learned the language. But I also have some ABD friends who just took a couple of six-week courses specifically devoted to grad translation, and that seemed to work. One other thing you might want to think about doing is getting involved with departmental stuff or even tutoring if that's available. I was fortunate enough to serve as the student rep for the dept., and that introduced me to some great people. In addition, I spent 2 out of my 3 U.G. years as a TA and a writing tutor. I think that's partially due to the nature of the school I went to, but if you can get your hands on anything like that, it can't hurt! I've had some good responses based on that alone. -
Advice for ugrad sophomore
truckbasket replied to basicpolitics's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I'll PM you the syllabus from the class I took on the history of theory which served as a great overview, but is by no means comprehensive. It'll show the readings we focused on, and give you a sense of who you might want to go after. The whole point of the course was to demonstrate the foundations of C. 20th theory that people most commonly use. As with philosophy, criticism is an ongoing conversation with one thinker poo-pooing the work of those who came before them -- so understanding what came first is kind of vital. Keep in mind that what you're doing is going to be leagues ahead of your fellows, and much of this stuff is a pain in the ass to read as theorists are famously poor writers.* (Read this amusing post for examples: http://flowbear.blog...le-at-last.html). My advisor told me to double, triple and quadruple up on theory during undergrad, which I believe to have been sage advice as many of my peers don't have the critical toolkit they could have simply because they ran from theory as fast as they could in favor of fluffier stuff. Another good source can be found here: http://oyc.yale.edu/.../class-sessions but as Fry points out in one of the opening lectures, the study of criticism can be split into two periods, somewhat marked by Eliot's writing. The lectures mainly stick to C. 20th., but are really strong. His discussion of Deconstruction is complex and difficult, yet fascinating. I'd forgotten about the Eagleton text, and yes it's great. You might also want to take a look at Robert Parker's "How to Interpret Literature." It might actually be a little too crude as you're already exploring theory, but it shows you how to apply the critical lens. Also keep in mind that you can break outside of the prescribed canon and employ other studies. I recently wrote on empathy and used some narrative theory combined with the more scientific work of Theordore Lipps. There's some good theory that works with visual art too, stuff by Breton, Hal Foster etc. Much of that translates well into literature. Lastly, although New Criticism has been pretty much laughed out of the discipline, I really liked this piece by Charles Altieri that calls for its return. Worth a look: http://socrates.berk.../Modernism.html * The more contemporary ones, at least. Aquinas, Sidney, Coleridge, Eliot, Shelley, Wordsworth, Pater and Wilde wrote beautiful, poetic criticism. -
Advice for ugrad sophomore
truckbasket replied to basicpolitics's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Try and get a working knowledge of the history of criticism as opposed to just the C. 20th stuff. It's invaluable to see where some of the ideas came from ie. Longinus' setting the stage for Kant and Burke. For that, check out the Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism (3rd ed) or Adams' Critical Theory Since Plato. Both provide solid overviews. From there, I would see what approaches interest you the most as potential lenses through which to read. I quite like Northrop Fry's Theory of Modes myself. -
It's the least considered aspect of the GRE, especially for us English weenies. Think about it this way: you've submitted your SOP and Writing Sample, both buffed and polished to the max. The committee have those examples of your writing, and then they have the GRE AWA score which is a haphazard sample written under pressure in 25 minutes on a computer that allows for minimal interaction on a topic that you don't have any investment in. Moreover, this wonderful GRE sample they now have was evaluated and scored (in part) by a computer, not a person. And lastly, as most of us who took the 'how to crack the GRE' route know, the essay you write is supposed to be shitty. The ETS values formulaic, canned, five-paragraph essays -- not well-written, thoughtful pieces. For many of us, we actually have to intentionally deteriorate our writing IN ORDER to please the ETS robot. As a result, the AWA score holds the least credibility when applying to grad programs in the humanities. Edit: I hope my anti-ETS screeds don't come across as polemical -- especially for those who nailed the tests and pride themselves in that. I spent six months researching and writing on the efficacy of standardized testing (primarily SAT's), much of which became an all-out depantsing of the ETS's hideous existence.
-
It's also significant to point out that although the GRE standard reading comp is considerably easier than what's on the subject test, it's equally disingenuous in its goal. You're speed reading bland, convoluted blocks of data followed by equally bland, convoluted questions that are explicitly designed to trip you up. It's one thing to test reading ability, but it's another to create a test that unabashedly sets out to try and make the student fail. I could make excuses for my performance on the GRE all day long (I did fine on the verbal), but it's pointless. All the tests did for me was to expose one of my flaws as a student: that I am incapable of skimming what I read and finding ways to cut corners to "beat the clock." But not only am I incapable of that, I'm not sure it's a skill I'm interested in learning, as reading and writing (for me) are about careful and thoughtful engagement with the page -- not about some imposed time limit. Fortunately, it does seem that most committees are aware of this, as what program would value students who can skim and cut corners over those who painstakingly scrutinize and actively think? Although I totally understand the need for some form of statistical screening, it breaks my heart that the ETS is still in business, and I heartily applaud the programs that are making a conscious effort to move away from them.
-
From what I hear, the subject test is generally viewed with disdain amongst academics, and several programs I applied to not only make it optional, they flat out reject it (Columbia, UCR). More and more seem to be moving in that direction. And as mentioned above, studying endlessly for it is futile. It was by far the most disappointing aspect of the application process for me as I invested a huge amount of time (6 months at 4-6 hours a day) studying texts, reading synopses, making flash cards etc. and I still scored poorly. The test that I took bore little resemblance to the practice tests the ETS puts out, and 85% of it was analysis. Consequently, the bucket-loads of trivial knowledge I went in with were completely worthless. My suggestion to future test takers would be to hone your speed-reading and concentration skills. Keep in mind that you're expected to read 300-500 word complex excerpts and answer questions on them in less than 60 seconds. I took the test in an overcrowded classroom with construction taking place directly outside the window, and consequently I couldn't concentrate for shit. If you're like me and you prefer to read carefully and without distraction, this will most likely prove to be a hurdle.
-
Requesting Explicit Rejection
truckbasket replied to Lemonade's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I think this a rough time for us all, but it's probably wise to stay out of the results. I have six schools that I still need to hear from, some of which I assume I'm on some unspecified wait-list limbo type thing. The problem with calling and asking this early in the game is that, chances are, the DGS simply doesn't know yet. And in this case you run the risk of coming across as impatient and pushy -- not the level-headed and humble scholar they are hoping you to be. Wait-lists can extend all the way out past April 15th, so unless you have a plan B ready to be put into action and waiting a few more weeks will prevent you from implementing it, I'd sit on your hands and grind your teeth and let them make the decision for you rather than you unintentionally giving them a push in the wrong direction. Frustrating, I know... but hang in there. It'll all be over soon! -
I didn't get any mention of that, Hilda. If I hear anything, I'll post.
-
Weatherwax, there was no information about numbers unfortunately. The only stats they gave were about the program itself in relation to others. Also, I have no real idea as to where we are in the admit / reject timeline. Like lservitje, I was notified a couple of weeks back that my paperwork was being forwarded for approval, but I wanted to wait until I had the official offer before celebrating. I hope you get some good news from the school soon. We're supposed to get calls from the DGS and faculty next week, so I'll be sure to post any pertinent info. Yeah, I got a similar fellowship and figures -- but just to be clear, they include tuition and health insurance etc. The in-pocket stipend/TA is like $17k which is standard for the UC's. With fees included, it works out to like $30k a year. Either way, it's very generous! Congrats, lservitje -- we should talk, as your proposed research sounds fascinating.
-
My U.G. GPA is very high, GRE is decent. Writing sample and SOP were both pretty strong. I think it was more about fit as I do transdisciplinary stuff with aesthetics and culture and what-not. In case anyone is wondering, it's a $15k fellowship for the first year, and four years TA at about $17k.
-
Yeah, I got one of them.
-
I worked in the tattoo industry for a decade before returning to school. I actually talked about that in my personal statement, and I can't help but to think that it worked to my advantage in my field (Lit > visual and sub-culture). Oh, and I'm also covered in them.
-
I got an offer from UCR yesterday, and about a week or so ago I got some pretty strong email teases from them. They asked me to fill out some additional online forms so "they could forward my package over to the dean's office." Now I tried not to read into this, and it definitely didn't say "congrats" or anything like that, but when I called the coordinator to finalize some details, she was especially chipper about my call. In short, I think I was in the same boat as the OP, only the English dept. was a little more cautious about the process as the DGS might have easily rejected me too (I have a shitty quant. GRE). And now I'm in the same position with a couple of other programs, and my best tactic this season has been to stay completely out of the results until I get something in stone (or PDF). I can fully sympathize with the OP and I certainly hope that something better suited comes along for you soon. It sucks, big time.
-
I just received an offer from them too for a PhD in English. Pretty decent funding, lots of teaching though. Not sure if I'm going to attend as I'm still waiting on other offers, but we'll see what happens. Congrats to both of you!
-
Wow! Congrats again, wildeisonmine! Sounds like you scored this season!
-
I went back to college to get my BA at 31 following a "successful" career. If I get accepted into a PhD program, I'll be 40 by the time I'm done. That will leave me with a solid 25 years or so of enjoyable work. That decade I spent out there in the world was absolutely invaluable, and my return to school couldn't have come at a better time -- no sooner, no later. Consequently, I would suggest that imposing ideal time restraints on completing your education is neither practical nor beneficial. Hang in everybody!
-
http://betterbooktitles.com/
-
Where do I even begin? Fall 2012
truckbasket replied to id quid's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Probably best respond to this later as I'm pretty scrambled; and I'm sure many of the more successful voices will speak up far more eloquently. One thing that I did was to talk to students, as well as faculty, to try and establish a sense of how the school wants to be seen within the field (ie. some schools cling to the traditional academe vibe, whereas other lean more toward a slicker, more dynamic approach). Trust me, the students will be quite forthcoming with the honest details (although they may be mixed), and most that I corresponded with provided me with some great insider tips. Combine that with trends and current discussions in your particular discipline, and you can potentially inject a rhetorical technique that you otherwise would not be able to employ. For example, one student told me that the department "were straight suckers for interdiscplinarity," and I was able to really emphasize that aspect of my presentation (I do interdisciplinary research). Again, I only did this with about three of my twelve apps, and I haven't heard back from those three yet. Also, if you haven't seen it already, there's an "infamous" SOP on the Berkeley website from somebody applying for a history program. I'm not sure I would use it as any kind of model, but it's worth looking at simply because it is a fantastic piece of writing. The graduate division posted it for reference, but to be honest, I think it's more for departmental bragging rights than anything as that particular student is clearly very talented. -
That's okay, how about just making a call to the grad school that rejected me to inform them of my badass research skills Glad to help!
-
Where do I even begin? Fall 2012
truckbasket replied to id quid's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
As you wisely observed, this is a hideous time for many of us who have just gone through this process. It might be a good idea to bump your post again in a few weeks as most of us will be a little more out of the fog at that point and will be able to focus specifically on your situation. Although you might run into posts that denounce Grad Cafe as more of a source of confusion than anything, coming here early on will no doubt give you a leg up in relation to what to expect, and you'll quickly learn what you can take from the forums and what you can leave behind. I could probably write a book about this process -- just on the stuff that I wish people had told me ahead of time. But my nerves are shot right now though, so I doubt I'd be of much use at this point. I might suggest that, if time and finances allow, you plan on spending Feb - April of 2012 getting and staying as drunk as possible. One thing that I would say right off the bat, partially because I think I could have done a better job myself, is research the programs and the professors like crazy. Several of my apps didn't go much further than a few hours of browsing the website, surveying the kind of academics at the school, and getting a general sense of what the department is all about. As a result my tailoring wasn't as strong as it might have been, and as I've already been hit with a few rejections, I can look at them and think that the add comm's probably did a good job as somebody out there did more research as was more committed to that particular program. However, there were two or three where I really did the research work and pinpointed specifically why those places would be best for me. Consequently, I think this enthusiasm will be evident in my submissions, more-so than the ones that just got the brief overview. This is a consuming and draining process. Make sure you are allowing yourself a considerable amount of time, and maybe set yourself a completion deadline of early Nov so you have some breathing space before the apps are actually due. Good luck! You'll find a lot of wisdom and experience here! TB -
Congrats, Eli! That's a whole lot of awesome!
-
Before this thread goes distinctly pear-shaped, it might be wise to remind ourselves that this is a super tense time for many of us, and to perhaps monitor our sensitivity when posting or responding to other people's posts. As I was just telling one of my letter writers yesterday, this entire process has been nothing short of horrific, traumatic, and hideous -- but it's the waiting period that really takes the vomit-crown. MAJOR congrats to wildeisonmine! It's a huge accomplishment, and I'm sure you deserve every part of it!
-
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=strasbourg+france&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Strasbourg,+Bas-Rhin,+Alsace,+France&gl=us&sqi=2&ll=48.581283,7.741491&spn=0.001134,0.0018&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=48.581283,7.741491&cbp=12,0,,0,5&photoid=po-11054602 Hopefully this link works, but this is it, apparently. Look for the intersection of Rue des Moulins and Rue de Bain-aux-Plantes, there's a little bridge just south of it and the view appears to be facing West. Now what's my prize?
-
I scanned it into that new google photos thing on the iPhone and it came up as: 42 42 rue du Bain-aux-Plantes, 67000, Strasbourg, France The area looks very similar although I didn't see the exact spot. You might need to google map around for that. Hope this is it!
