Jump to content

the once and future grad

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by the once and future grad

  1. That sounds great! I'm here in SA and I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheet number of panels and finding my way around, but hopefully we'll all feel better tomorrow!
  2. I got an offer by phone from Mark Morrisson last Wednesday afternoon. I had to turn it down since I'd just accepted another offer that morning, but it seems like they are still making offers! If you haven't been rejected, I would assume that it's very possible an offer will be forthcoming - obviously if you have another offer you shouldn't turn it down, but for those that don't...
  3. The final session (8:15 pm on Saturday) looks pretty light - only two panels. Unless anyone is really interested in those, maybe that would be a good time to meet up? Either that or after the last session on one of the earlier nights.
  4. That sounds really interesting, USTgrad! I'll be there too - I'm presenting on mise-en-scene in Joe Wright's Pride and Prejudice, also at 9:45 am on Friday. Maybe we can organize a gradcafe get-together sometime when there's not too much going on?
  5. No Ramen necessary, friend I'm so, so happy that things worked out for you, and if it is in fact my spot that you've got, that makes me so glad that I made the choice that I did! I was feeling a bit shaky about declining Rochester because I loved the people there so much, but not anymore
  6. Haha thanks! I really hope you get in - I was told (speculatively, by a current student) that I was the only medievalist accepted, so they might be looking to medievalists first, BUT I don't know if that's how theirs works - would really like to see you get some good news!
  7. Thanks! I also just received an offer, by phone, from Penn State, which I declined, so any medievalists that are waitlisted there, keep an eye on your phones!
  8. I also just declined Rochester, and it broke my heart a little bit too - I really loved all the people I met there! I received the expected offer from Indiana overnight and have accepted it. (thanks nonymouse!)
  9. *bump* Are people still up for meeting at PCA/ACA? I was going to pm all of you, but there are quite a few of us! It's hard to narrow in on a time and place since there's so much going on, but hopefully we can all work something out - would be great to meet you guys in person (although I suspect that I met one of you last week).
  10. Wow! I'm very, very glad to hear that! (Not about the funding, of course - though might you have applied with just a BA? I understand that first-year funding of BA-only applicants has to come in the form of a very competitive fellowship, whereas I, since I have an MA and teaching experience, could go straight into teaching assistantship.) Thanks for sharing - I hope you're going somewhere fantastic!
  11. Hey nonymouse, would you mind sharing your subfield? (Your decline might be helping me out a lot!)
  12. Hey Tybalt, I'm down to Rochester and Indiana (where I'm on the waitlist), and there is a definite possibility that I will be declining Rochester - I'll post here immediately if I do! I'm a medievalist, so I don't know if that's helpful, but I thought it couldn't hurt to let you know. Good luck!
  13. I met Wrader at Minnesota's visiting weekend, and he seemed pretty sure that he was going to choose them over Maryland, if that helps at all. And that really sucks about the phone call. Sorry to hear that
  14. Hey Tybalt, As of right now, I am, but I'm also REALLY interested in Indiana, where I'm very high on the waitlist. I visited there last week, and just returned from Rochester like 20 minutes ago! The big visiting weekend was Sunday-today, but a couple of people came late and are staying till tomorrow, and one visited last week and one is coming next week. I know that at least a couple of the people there had quite a few other options and are going to be making last-minute decisions. I can tell you for sure that one Renaissance person has accepted, and while I'm pretty sure that I met an
  15. I will likely be declining Minnesota early next week. I'm a medievalist.
  16. I got a similar email from Mark Morisson a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty excited about it, and we emailed back a forth a few times, but when I emailed him with specific questions about the program and about visiting, I never heard back (it's been 11 days). I have two offers and another waitlist that I'm told will likely become an offer, so I'm forgetting about it unless I hear anything. If you have good offers that you're happy about, I would do the same, but if Penn State is one of your top choices, I would email him again or email your POI and try to get more info. Hope that helps!
  17. I graduated from AU's MA program last year and I really loved it there. It took me two tries, but I have now been accepted to two great PhD programs and waitlisted at two others! If you have any questions, feel free to ask:)
  18. Is anyone arriving early for the recruitment weekend? I'm getting in early tomorrow afternoon, and now I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to do with all that extra time - almost a whole day!
  19. Incidentally, I do already have an MA. I don't know if they have a limit for how many students they'll accept with an MA, but I didn't get the impression that it affected my application negatively. And I understand (and share) your frustration, but I have to keep in mind that last year, when I was rejected across the board, I would have wept with gratitude for a post-April 15th offer. As much as it sucks for those of us that have other offers and want to make a decision, I do think it's nice that they're doing this in a way that will allow them to extend the maximum number of offers possi
  20. I got a more-or-less waitlist email from the DGS late last week (he never used the word "waitlist" though), which said that they should know whether they can accept me by April 15. He also said that they received 784 applications this year(!), which was extraordinarily large for them. That might explain why it's taking them so long, and also why they seem to have a multi-tiered waitlist. I am really interested in their program, but I have two offers to respond to by the 15th, so of course I'll accept one of those if I haven't been admitted by then. If you have other offers, I wouldn't coun
  21. If it's any help to know this, my most recent letter from them said something like "in the interest of our waitlisted students, please let us know of your decision by April 15 at the latest, and let us know sooner if you have made your decision." I imagine a lot of us will be much closer to making our decisions after the recruitment visit this coming week! Good luck to you guys.
  22. I just got a letter in the mail that I was sure was a rejection - I almost didn't open it - and it was a letter informing me that I'm "very high" on the waitlist! Completely surreal.
  23. This was so helpful and lovely to read. Thanks! I'm actually calm enough to start putting together a list of questions about the programs I'm visiting, and I feel so much more in control of the situation.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.