Jump to content

Brontelover

Members
  • Content Count

    9
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Brontelover

  • Rank
    Decaf

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Female
  • Location
    All over, USA
  • Interests
    reading, singing, acting, running
  • Program
    MA/PhD English

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hello all. My husband and I will both be attending UVA this fall, and we are visiting next week trying to find a place to live. Does anybody have any specific suggestions for where to look? We both need to be fairly near the Central Grounds. We're trying to find a place that's walkable, nice, and won't totally break the bank. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  2. I, too, have heard nothing from them, so I emailed them some days ago to inquire about my status and I've heard . . . nothing.
  3. I haven't heard anything at all yet. I'm assuming I'm rejected, but I will probably have to email to find out for sure. Grrr. It's annoying.
  4. Hello. I am one of the admits for UVA's MA program, but as most of you know, it's unfunded. I am very tempted to take it as I think it will lead me to better PhD programs and, thus, to better jobs in the future. Is this accurate thinking? I do have some funded offers, but they are at schools that are much lower ranked. Especially if any of you are current UVA students, or even just know of some current UVA students, do you think I would be better off in the long run to accept this offer? And if you do have some inside knowledge, does anyone know what sorts of PhD programs UVA graduates g
  5. Well, for what it is worth, I have done a little bit of research on this topic, and I think it depends on what you would like to do afterwards. If you want to teach at a small liberal arts college (like I do), then I think you would be fine to accept the PhD program at the lesser ranked school. I've looked into many of the schools in my geographic region (the upper Midwest), and most of the smaller colleges have professors that have degrees from places that aren't as prestigious. However, if you would like to teach at a bigger university, I think getting a degree from a more well-known scho
  6. Again, thank you to everyone is answering these questions, and thank you for the suggestions. I have thought about taking some classes as a non-degree student, but I am gone most of the year for work (up next: 5 months in Alaska at a theater; I should have clarified and said I am a traveling stage actress), and whenever I googled "online classes," I couldn't find much except for the University of Phoenix and other such programs. I thank you very much for your advice, and I will probably take it. However, I guess I do have one more follow-up question: would it be worthwhile for me to take m
  7. Thank you very much for all of your input. I really appreciate it . . . however, I have a few follow-up questions. As I said, I am an actress who has been out of academia for almost a decade, and I had (and will continue to have this problem if I re-apply) a problem with my recommenders and with receiving advice about how to improve my package. I went to a small liberal arts college where I only took classes from three English professors. The department, of course, was larger, but nevertheless, I only took classes from three professors. Unfortunately, two of them are dead, and the one who
  8. Hello. I am new to thegradcafe, and I am a returning student to academia after pursuing a different career for nearly a decade (one that, unfortunately, may looked down upon by an admissions committe...I have been a professional actress). I have received an acceptance to a fairly good school, but I have been waitlisted for funding. I am still debating about whether to go or not, but if choose to re-apply next year, I am wondering if I should re-take the GRE. I received a 670 V, 750 Q, and a 5.0 AW. Are these scores good enough for most schools? I am particularly asking because I have rec
  9. I've been accepted into a fairly good MA English program, but I have been waitlisted for funding. If I do not receive funding (or, also likely, do not know my funding situation by the April 15 deadline), is it worth it to go anyway?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.