Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. Thanks for the feedback. I've never felt like such a rude doofus. Anyway, I sincerely apologized and asked if she might still be able to answer questions I had. She sent back a quick email answering and that's that! So I'm sure I came off as dumb but I guess not all is lost.
  2. Welp, grad student nightmare #456456 fulfilled. I forgot to change a sentence in a form letter email describing what my interest is in that particular professor's research. She emailed back somewhat snarkily (rightfully so, of course) and I have no idea how to respond. She's not a main POI of mine but I hate having this hanging over my head. Any advice from others who have gone through the same?!
  3. ^ What Retta said! I'm at SAMLA this weekend (hotlantaaaaa) and a weekend getaway is just what the doctor ordered. I know I'm going to be stressed as all hell when I get back on Sunday but these few days will be nice to get out for a bit and away from the computer screen. (Plus, having time to work on the plane in solitude and silence sans internet was a godsend!)
  4. Checking in as fellow math sucker: I wear my 15th percentile badge with a strange sense of pride.
  5. May have to steal this but change it to: "I was turned into a newt but I got better."
  6. I've heard quite a few times that these large, regional conferences are not going to come off as important mostly because they can be large and impersonal. I say this having presented at the last RMMLA and will be attending SAMLA this weekend. But, yes, it's often better to focus on conferences specific to your field ("Kalamazoo" for Medievalists, for example).
  7. Hear, hear. Every new (conflicting) piece of information I read on here has me like: Okay, this has been what all my professors have been saying and, in fact, we spent some time discussing why it was important to use the "In this paper I will argue that..." as a strong way to establish an academic voice. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. Or maybe it's just an LA thing?
  8. How about "I believe"? PS. Thanks to you all, I just went through my WS and removed about 100000000 instances of *I* and *we*
  9. Wow I'm so surprised to hear about all this "no I" talk going on. I was under the impression that that was mainly a high school composition rule and that "I" was just a regular part of higher level academic writing. Exactly zero of my professors have even mentioned anything about the use of I and some have even encouraged my use of it.
  10. I was lucky enough to get a 169 V on my first shot (we shan't discuss my Q score :/) but I have a degree in Latin. I honestly thought being able to puzzle out vocab words with Latinate roots really saved me a lot of time to concentrate on the other aspects of the V section. To that end, I personally would suggest getting to know Latin prefixes and suffixes and other common etymological relationships (one that always stuck out to me was silva meaning forest or woods in Latin, which gives us Sylvia, Transylvania (literally on the other side of the forest), silvan, etc.) YMMV!
  11. No, I was at USC this morning. Yeah, it was really anxiety inducing, especially because the max parking was 4 hours, which I thought would be enough and since they delayed the test an hour, it was not. I actually thought it was really disrespectful to put a warning on the ticket that test takers would not be admitted after 8:30 am (causing me to wake up at 6am, just to be safe) and then force me to sit around and wait for stragglers (ours were standby too). It's just like at the airport how they let people late for their flights go through the fast lane... it's rewarding slackers! Plus the fact that they make hundreds of thousands of dollars each round of testing and they can't even pull it together to organize the darn thing? Just make the whole thing computerized like the General Test and things will flow much better. </rant>
  12. Thanks for the commiserating words, Wyatt! I think I will file a complaint. Y'know, the proctor said at the end that they filed two complaints as well but, yeah, I'm not expecting any results (though 25 pts added to everyone's test would be nice ) Dedicated to all fellow takers who passed through the flames today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnE5ZtQQ_zI&spfreload=10
  13. I was very upset by my experience. ETS was completely disorganized and our test room happened to be beside a full-blown concert, which shook the walls of the room as we took the test. We started an hour late because who knows? They just felt like it. It was all very frazzling. That being said, I had the same experiences as others I think. I ran out of time and ended up leaving a lot more blank than I would have hoped. Many, many long passages that had to be read in their entirety because of "tone" type questions. The material, to me, was way off from what was suggested in Princeton. Even the works and authors I recognized were being tested for very obscure details. That all being said, the test results are scaled?!
  14. As I walk into the testing room...
  15. It's happening again the day after tomorrow. Ack! Been doing practice tests everyday. Making some flash cards now on the subjects/people I just can't seem to nail down....
  16. Apologies. I was definitely not attempting a "humblebrag" of some kind. I actually have no idea what constitutes good and bad for subject test scores but I was under the impression that somewhere in the 70th percentile is not that great, which is what 620 is. :/
  17. Finally heard back, just wanted to update you guys on this: !!!
  18. Did my first practice test and got a 620.
  19. Actually that might make for a better icon... his needling voice may be just what I need in my ear as I complete my apps.
  20. I don't know who did the illustration but I think it's from the New Yorker. Murakami and spaghetti!
  21. As an owner of Blackberry stock, I'd advise lots and lots of caution. I've had my share of heart attacks with that stock. As per any stock investment, don't invest money you can't afford to lose. Better yet, consider it already lost and anything else is a happy upside.
  22. There are a few scholarships open to US/Canadian residents I believe as well as global ones but, from my research in Humanities-related ones, the awarded funds are so small that they wouldn't even cover a fraction of tuition. If you're looking for it to help your living costs, it might be worth it. I'm sure TakeruK will be able to give you a much more in-depth answer, especially as he is in the sciences. In any case, you should go talk to your OISS or whatever it may be called at your school (or potential school).
  23. One of those things could be simply that the professor has been embittered by his or her own experience with academia. Long ago, I was going to approach an undergrad professor for a reference letter and I mentioned that to another one of my letter writers. He looked at me and sternly advised me not to ask that one professor because he was known to have a mean streak when it came to encouraging or even helping his former students apply. He had some weird vendetta against academia because he had been wronged somehow that he didn't believe that others should go through it as well (for their sake and as a stab at the heart of the university). Strange but I'm really glad that other professor told me so.
  24. Thank you for the insightful feedback as per usual, Wyatt and proflorax. Although this has me quite anxious now: I guess that's just how grad apps go...!
  25. Thank you! I read your message and made a point of doing so. I couldn't actually find a SAO for most of the schools I was looking into but I emailed the Graduate Division people so they would probably know.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use