-
Posts
1,327 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
23
Everything posted by 1Q84
-
I found a big error (half a sentence missing) in my writing sample and had to request one school to replace it. The grad student affairs officer (office admin) said I could submit a new copy with a headnote explaining why but I could not replace it, only set it alongside. YMMV! That being said, I would definitely attempt to contact the respective office admins and see if you have better luck. I can't imagine that looks bad in any way.
-
0% Confidence of Acceptance
1Q84 replied to TripWillis's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Not to fan the flames or anything, but I found it curious that one program I registered for (but haven't submitted yet--it's due early Jan) has been sending me almost daily reminders to finish the app, ask questions, etc. and also emails to promote the program and highlight its strengths. Probably not out of the ordinary but I haven't received a fraction as many emails from all the other programs to which I applied. <takes off paranoid-over-analysis hat> -
NB: this does not apply to all fields.
-
Waiting Game--how do you deal with the waiting anxiety?
1Q84 replied to procedural memory's topic in Waiting it Out
Does anyone ever contact their POIs during the wait out period? Is that an extremely un-kosher thing to do? -
Do you mean an independent study on a literature subject with a professor in that field? I would say yes, especially because it will allow that faculty member to really get to know your work and research skills, which will result in a strong and personalized reference letter. As a caveat, I would make sure to discuss very rigorously the expectations on both sides for the independent study as well. Do a lot of planning and laying out of reading lists, syllabi, deadlines, etc. I've heard stories of some people who walked into one expecting a really rigorous, personalized, and rewarding study and not getting it (and vice versa). Also, I would talk to the graduate director and confirm how many credits it will count as and how it will appear on your transcript.
-
I'll just leave this here: M.F.A.s: An Increasingly Popular, Increasingly Bad Financial Decision
-
0% Confidence of Acceptance
1Q84 replied to TripWillis's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Congrats! Must feel very nice to receive that affirmation from a well-respected prof. Ah, well, that's for sure. I didn't mean to imply that a large amount of apps is some kind of desperate move for everyone who does it, though it may have been on my part. I don't think you're far off, though. I, obsessed, went back through the Fall 2014 applicants thread, which sits at 200+ pages. I know that that it runs until April and includes the January - March feverish-posting-during-acceptance period, but the Fall 2015 thread is at a comparatively small 20 pages (for reference, aforementioned thread was at page 59 at this time last year). I did not consider the shrinking offered positions, however... that is making me significantly more nervous now. -
0% Confidence of Acceptance
1Q84 replied to TripWillis's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Glad to hear lots of people have Plan B's! For those finishing up their undergraduate work, my view is that the Plan B and Plan A can be interchangeable. I'm personally quite glad I took time off between my BA and MA. What does everyone make of the rumored low application numbers this year then? I think that possibility might make me at least (foolishly) slightly more confident? -
0% Confidence of Acceptance
1Q84 replied to TripWillis's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Thanks for the kind words. I really am at this point just hoping for one acceptance. This is my situation as well. I'm certainly no spring chicken, so when one of my professors said, "it doesn't have to happen this year," I grimaced a bit. Given the 5-6 year range of a Ph.D., I really don't think I can leave it another year before beginning. It certainly sounds like you've covered all your bases, so that's great. Cast a wide net and you have a really strong application. I'm more than certain you'll get into a couple! -
0% Confidence of Acceptance
1Q84 replied to TripWillis's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Well, now that apps are in, I think it's time to revive this thread because I'm definitely feeling like I'm at 0% right now. Not fishing for reassurance but I'm actually quite concerned about my chances. Not sure if I overshot and applied to a bunch of top-tier programs that'll just shut me out and I'll be stuck with a year of doing nothing (and have to leave the US and go back to Canada for it). Anyone else have any crippling anxiety about their chances? -
Waiting Game--how do you deal with the waiting anxiety?
1Q84 replied to procedural memory's topic in Waiting it Out
Luckily I had no time to watch the last season of Boardwalk Empire because of this punishing semester. So that should help. Same with listening to this "Serial" podcast that everyone is raving about. -
I have just now submitted my final application. What a relief! I can finally get a good night's rest. Sending bright, shiny, sparkly vibes to all those still laboring away!
-
I am cautiously optimistic about reduced app numbers this cycle but I didn't take the Rutgers news as possible confirmation of that. Could it not just be an extension of the deadline to mitigate the effects of that seemingly very confusing 24 hour wait-time, two-part application system?
-
How did you find your apartment/house?
1Q84 replied to Lex Shrapnel's topic in IHOG: International House of Grads
Try getting in contact with some graduate students in your department. I know someone who moved from across country and ended up really gelling with one of the girls (who lives by herself) in the department. They're inseparable now and it saved the East coaster a hell of a lot of stress! -
Staring at inbox...
-
Favorite Books / Authors / Poets
1Q84 replied to Dr. Old Bill's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I just bought a record from Goodwill over the weekend of Auden reading about 45 minutes of his poems. It's an awesome paper-writing soundtrack! -
Nuh-uh. It's not true until it's in the Results Search! I would definitely give it a shot... though some programs I know won't allow you to replace, only add documents alongside.
-
^ Congrats! Is no one else applying to Columbia? Their app is due strangely, though thankfully, on the 17th.
-
Does this actually happen? I've never heard of anyone suing for admission before.
-
Fall Semester Grade Reporting
1Q84 replied to Dr. Old Bill's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I've heard varying opinions on this matter. The minority report being that an A- might sometimes even seem better from a well-ranked institution because it shows that the course and the program are rigorous and didn't just "hand grades" to students. -
Agreed. Given your attempts to "limit or omit details on our programs to maintain an air of professionalism" (which seems laughably cynical considering how badly you're slamming this professor for actions that you won't actually describe here), it's hard to say who's at fault. The information you've provided thus far has amounted to: "I'm convinced she doesn't like me and is concertedly trying to destroy me because I haven't gotten straight A's". You're certainly coming off as one of those grade-grubbing students that all grad students hate to deal with. Just letting you know what it looks like to a stranger on the internet who has no idea what your IRL situation is.
-
What's driving me even more nuts are the program websites that list two different due dates for applications. It's not even an anomaly... I would say half of the programs I've looked at have mismatched due dates on different parts of the site. They're usually off by a day. And it makes me super anxious.
-
Love Kempe! Very impressive--sounds like it's going to be a really strong paper. I only have two due on Monday so I definitely feel like I'm over my hump. Sending good vibes to all those whose major slew of apps are due on the 15th! Something must've been lost in translation. I thought it was about 500 pages too long!
-
Why do some schools not have online tracking pages for application materials? It's 2014, people! I don't want to waste admin assistant's time with "did you guys get my ___?" questions.
