Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. Yes. 100% guaranteed or your money back! (Failing that, we can just pool our collective anguish, and use that to push the send button in every school's email system... )
  2. It feels like the night before Christmas... I'm thinking we'll wake up to a wave of responses!
  3. Probably not going to want to hear this but: do not contact the department. I wouldn't be as concerned about being "unfair" to your fellow candidates. More like by this point, it is far too late to add anything to your application (if they've already sent out notices). It's unfortunate you didn't note the bilingual ability that you have, but calling them now to tell them won't help you nor will the conference papers. Best of luck if you're on the wait list (or hoping to get on the wait list!)
  4. Hehe thanks for the giggle.
  5. Oh jeez. This is me on all of your behalves Don't most comp lit programs historically start notifying right at the beginning of Feb? That means this is a big week for all of us under the English umbrella!
  6. It's really hard to not start planning for a future that may not be in your grasp yet.

    1. theory411

      theory411

      Oh, yes. +100 points for this status!

    2. jujubea
  7. edit: google works too... nevermind
  8. This has concerned me a lot, especially at the application stage. I don't believe I suffer from any mental health issues myself but I do have someone in my immediate family who has severe mental health issues. I hesitated to even mention the negative effects it had on me in any of the "diversity statements" that I wrote because of some posts I remembered seeing on TGC from years back. These people mentioned how even a faint whiff of mental health issues would make some adcomms balk because it suggested instability or inability to complete a program/achieve. It's an awful suggestion and somehow I highly doubt many adcomms would discriminate on this basis but I can't help but let it niggle in the back of my mind when it comes to discussing mental health in relation to academia. That's all to say that I can totally understand why people who suffer from mental health related issues would be uncomfortable addressing it with fellow students and professors.
  9. I figured! I'm assuming you two must've gotten different fellowships? I know there's the Provost vs. Diversity, etc.
  10. Theme for the coming week...
  11. Thanks for both responses! I figured as much... I'm absolutely a-okay with base-line funding. Just thought on the off chance, they might re-absorb and then re-distribute. I guess universities must not be too upset when they get to retain the fellowship money due to a decline
  12. Hugs for everyone who received bad news today...
  13. Well, since it seems like a bunch of wait list notifications for various schools have been sent out by now, I figured it's time to start an official Fall 2015 wait list thread. Here's hoping all of us in here will get to leap frog out of purgatory! Actually, I have an initial question to ask: does anyone know how funding works for wait listed folks? For the top choices who decline an offer and go somewhere else, what happens to their funding? Does it just cascade down the list of accepted applicants?
  14. Okay, now I'm scared. Thanks!
  15. Couldn't agree more. Kind of a copout in the end as about half the original class (including all of the aggressive ones) dropped the course after the first class. Thus, I haven't had much of a chance to test my mettle against them. Either way, it's been a relief. I've taken folks' advice from here and make sure that I have a few things to say about specific points in the text and that seems to help discussion. The professor has been better at moderating the conversation, giving everyone a chance to speak, etc. too so I am enjoying the course much better now!
  16. Granted I'm not condoning snarkiness or a return to the atmosphere of previous cycles, I think the part I highlighted in what you said could bear some repeating as well. If our main concern here is to keep this a welcoming and positive atmosphere (which I agree it should be), then I think a consideration of the feelings not only the admitted students is important but those who are suffering in limbo. Maybe we could all do better to be sensitive to each other's situations and emotions in this tense time? For my part, I was trying to deflect any angst over the results board post with a lighthearted joke. I apologize for it, in hindsight, that it became too personal but at that point my mind was on trying to help the folks who were hurt by it via humor.
  17. I refuse to believe that person said that with any sincerity. They must be trolling... which is particularly nasty considering the tense atmosphere at this point! Or perhaps I just can't comprehend someone writing that about themselves unless they looked like this...
  18. When you realize next Monday is the official beginning of notification season:
  19. Wow. Whoever declined already deserves all the clapping. Very nice of them to let the department notify the next candidate early and super nice for that lucky applicant! (I'd kill to go to Vanderbilt... I mean, come on, to work with Leah Marcus...!)
  20. I'm going to say very uncommon. I did not have interviews for mine and I don't gather that many people do (I did, however, go in after I received my admission offer to speak to the DGS and negotiate funding). Good luck, though! Just make sure you can speak to your interests in the program as well as your own research interests and you'll do fine.
  21. I would certainly prepare for a formal interview. If it happens to be more conversational, then you can relax a little but still show your brilliance as a candidate.
  22. Looks like you can stay put after all, hreaðemus Congrats!!!!
  23. You're amazing, unræd!!! Congrats!!!
  24. ^ Ah but when you get your first acceptance....
  25. Drip drip drip go the days until April 15...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use