Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. I think some people have been arguing that he's expressing his opinions as about the "liberal" trend in stifling academic discourse, which some have qualified as a discussion of academics in general. I tend to see it your way, in regards to McAdams. But yeah, the TA should have been prepared to discuss that topic but she also should have been in the mindset to theoretically entertain opinions from any part of the spectrum, especially considering she is a student and teacher of philosophy, where "controversial opinions" are the bread and butter of class discussion. Clearly he was trying to push her buttons and she probably said something in the heat of the moment. Too bad he was being a little weasel and recording her (meaning he probably had this interaction planned out far in advance). I'll have to take a look at those links you posted. Been wanting to get a different perspective on the story from that Atlantic piece.
  2. I saw this story floating around for the past couple of days. I thought it'd be an interesting point of discussion here. http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/02/stripping-a-professor-of-tenure-over-a-blog-post/385280/#disqus_thread Certainly a very fraught situation. I must say I disagree with the author of the article (who considers the action in the title "Marquette University's attack on academic freedom"). I also think that the TA handled the situation poorly but her mistakes certainly don't justify her supervisor's actions. I think the author conveniently forgets the radically disproportionate amount of power that tenured faculty have over their TAs and especially considering this was his "third strike" for similar actions, I support his dismissal. Any thoughts?
  3. That's amazing! Congrats. Really hope it converts to an acceptance for you. I think it's absolutely kosher to ask about the wait list procedures for reasons lyonessrampant mentioned above.
  4. a) The majority of UK schools do not provide full or any funding at all, thus you would have to spend a lot of time securing your own external funding, which can be both stressful and a roadblock to continuation of your program (say you weren't able to renew an external fellowship, etc. you would have to halt your enrollment unless you had savings or were willing to go into massive dent). Knowing that, it may not be wise to go to the UK for school just because you "can't wait." b.) Can you explain your rationale for pursuing both an MA and Ph.D. in order to teach high school? I'm not sure I follow. edit: that damn = b.) smiley... who thought that was a good idea?
  5. Your response made it sound like this isn't even a situation that OP should be facing if s/he had been smart about applications. Plus, I think you've made a lot of assumptions about DramaDuck's situation when offering your advice--there was no "MIT or nothing" involved. There was no mention of being unhappy to attend the safety school or finding the acceptance "unacceptable" nor of the dream school being the "one and only goal." She or he did not actually give a reason why s/he would prefer the dream school over the safety school other than the obvious fact that they "like" it more. I'm offering reasons why that might be other than "I applied to a safety school with no intention of going there," which is what your answer suggested. I don't think the mere mention of safety schools should warrant an answer that scolds the applicant about time and effort wasted. There are tons of reasons to want to apply to a safety school.
  6. Eep. Last year was the Great Valentine's Day Massacre, was it not? Hoping we don't repeat history this time around.
  7. I hear this rhetoric a lot, especially when people ask "what are some good safety schools?" and it bothers me each time. I'm not quite sure I understand: "safety schools" undoubtedly exist to some degree or other and they serve their purpose. Of course, there are anecdotes about folks being rejected from safety schools and making it into their reach schools but those are outliers. Like grad_wannabe said above, not all applicants are 100% prepared, informed, or aware of the entire landscape of English doctoral programs in North America (or even abroad) at the time of application. Circumstances and opinions change. Research interests and academic trajectories change too. I don't think it's a crime to ask the question that DramaDuck did and I don't think the grave and paternal rhetoric is necessary either. Edit: to add an actual response to DramaDuck It all depends on your own timeline (life and academic). Are you in a rush to get into a doctoral program because of age? If not, then maybe consider slowing down and considering other options. If you think you have other things you can do this year to improve your profile in order to get into your dream school, it would make sense to me to take that time. There's never an "only chance" to get into a program. The second and third time applicants and the fluctuations in "tiered" acceptances on TGC alone attest to that.
  8. Wyatt, really hoping it becomes (or is?) a funded MA. That would be a great opportunity... and I can't speak highly enough about my funded MA experience, which I just about wrapping up.
  9. The NYU rejects are always the best. It always pretty much amounts to "I hate you poopy losers! I'm too good for you anyway!" Y'all... why did you apply to the school then?
  10. I thought I'd post it here instead of the acceptance thread. From Mr. Bourne at UCI: Hold out hope, comrades!
  11. Well, since we're going there: has anyone tried to contact UCI? I emailed Malcolm Bourne yesterday evening and haven't heard back yet.
  12. Form Berkeley rejection. Huzzah!
  13. Yeah, it's so detailed and unique. I had to do a presentation in his class on New Philology using the Norton Piers as example. Lemme tell ya, presenting an expert in the field his own work definitely gave me heart palpitations. Luckily, he's a very generous and kind audience member (and commenter).
  14. Oh man. I wish there was way more of Serial. Now. Also, what did you think of Pinkprint? I really wanted to like it but just.... couldn't.
  15. Hey congrats! I remember you were so worried yesterday... Must be such a nice relief.
  16. To be honest, this sounds like standard Graduate Studies boilerplate language. I wouldn't read too much into it... not saying anything about your chances of getting accepted or not overall (and I certainly hope you do!), simply that this email probably is not meant to suggest either of those options.
  17. No problem! The thought of "White Buddhist hip hop" makes me cringe already so I can only imagine what you have to deal with. The medievalist at my MA school edited the most recent Norton edition and he's a super brilliant genius guy. Having him teach Piers to us was a treat and a half!
  18. Do remember that not every admit posts on or even knows about TGC. Edit: Althoughhhhhh on this day last year, they sent out a bunch of wait list notifications. So maybe we have that to look forward to this week?
  19. YES! I've been wanting to start this thread but I didn't want to spam the board. Here's a great song for when I'm feeling scared about my future:
  20. I'm 55% rejected this season. What do I get?!
  21. Congrats So happy to hear your plans and hard work paid off!
  22. Obviously I don't know your entire financial situation with you and your partner but from what you've written here, I would even suggest a) planning for more than half a year's rent as buffer and b.) looking into a shared house with several other roommates, which will save you both a substantial amount of money. Of course that requires a certain type of personality but if it's you and your partner's first time moving out, it can actually be nice to have people around in that way. You'll also be less strapped for cash and that has an incalculably positive effect on you concentrating on your school work! Just food for thought
  23. Well, doesn't seem like any wait list spots for UCI are coming anytime soon... better chalk that up as an R. :\
  24. Funny, sometimes I go to this site and turn on the ambient coffee shop noise when I'm home alone and trying to get some reading done! http://asoftmurmur.com/
  25. Sorry to hear jhefflol Hope the doctor's visit goes well!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use