-
Posts
1,327 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
23
Everything posted by 1Q84
-
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
1Q84 replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Congrats! I lived in Toronto for many years and did my undergrad at UT... let me know if you have any questions (that is, if you're not from or currently live in TO). -
Sorry to those who are getting their real rejections today (even though it's mostly a relief, as I maintain, there's still a pinprick of pain somewhere in my soul seeing the official NO) Big hugs, y'all.
-
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
All the kudos to you folks who are turning down offers this early. While I am amongst those who are suffering in wait list purgatorio, I've tried to be very careful not to pester or beg others to turn down their offers. They deserve all the time they need to make a very, very important and tough decision! -
I believe I am! It's kind of a hike to get out there for me, though, as I don't have a car.
-
Thanks! and YIKES that's a lot per semester... although my vespa would count as a motorcycle so I guess $63/semester ain't bad.
- 395 replies
-
- cost
- fellowship
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
This sounds very untrue, especially because federal law (FERPA) protects a student's rights to inspect his or her own educational records (a category under which faculty LOR for a student falls). The legal right to inspect one's own records should also imply protection from official action against students who choose to exercise that right. While it may be true that at the adcomm-level, faculty could be leery of a student's LOR if they did not waive access, there's no way in hell that this would be an official university procedure ("blocking" the letters from reaching the department, as you said) because it would open them up to serious legal ramifications. Besides, in certain states there are good faith laws that protect professors writing LORs from repercussions if the letter is specifically being written in the context of a faculty-student relationship and the content applies only to the student's work-related characteristics. Of course, if your recommender wrote any defamatory (racist, sexist, homophobic) content, they would be open to legal action but it's not up to a university to "protect" your recommenders from the repercussions of illegal discriminatory action. I'm really wondering what your professor meant when he/she said what you claim they said.
-
Can someone point me in the direction of the parking pass costs per semester? I searched all around and failed. I have a vespa that I could drive to campus but if parking passes cost a lot, I'd rather just move somewhere close to a Metro line and take that in.
- 395 replies
-
- cost
- fellowship
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
For all of us still kind of waiting: I feel your pain. As an international student myself, I knew state schools would be hesitant to accept me and so applied to more private schools. Ironically, the only school to offer me acceptance has been a state school. (Even then, I'd have to pay an extra $15k on top of the fellowship they offered me. Yeesh. American International tuition is ludicrous.) Either way, I found shooting for private was a helpful goal. Not sure if you have received rejections across the board or you're just anticipating that, but I wish you the best of luck in the remaining cycle or the next!
-
Please pull a Costanza on Yale. You'll be my hero forever.
-
Reputation Real Talk
1Q84 replied to gradgradgradddddd's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Oh, of course I knew you weren't serious. My reply to you was completely facetious. I guess I could've been clearer too! I'm definitely interested in this and any info you can dig up on it. I've been somewhat skeptical, however, because I've heard a lot of this same rhetoric ("Y'know, when the baby boomer's retire, employers will just be roping in strangers off the street") used to justify a lot of poor industry practice-I'm thinking specifically about training way more secondary teachers than is required, something that really bit me in the ass in my mid 20s. I'd love it if your contention eventually came true, though. As for now, the only real impact I've seen has been an overburdened health care system. -
Uhh. I was agreeing with both of you and also responding to post #14, implying that it seems pretty clear that #14's question does not relate to OP's situation. Not sure what the insane snark is for, but sure, I'll take it.
-
Reputation Real Talk
1Q84 replied to gradgradgradddddd's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Oh yes, by all means, let's get back to that then... :/ As for Gustav's point, what I took from it is, yes, of course the reputation of the super heavyweights (top 5 or 10) obviously outweigh pretty much anything when it comes to decisions between two acceptances but I think it was more illuminating, especially because of Appplication's rant about the phantom posters who apparently were "Top 10 or Bust," in pointing out "lower-ranked" schools that have strong faculty in up and coming areas of study. That information would have been extremely helpful to me as an applicant... I wasn't really in-the-know enough to know, for example, that UCSC was strong in posthumanism and information like that could've certainly shaped my application decisions a little more thoughtfully. (Of course, if I'm misinterpreting your point, Gustav, please feel free to say so.) No doubt a bout of name recognition between, say, Yale vs. "Very Good Posthumanist School" is a no-contest, but I think sliding the emphasis back in the direction of advisor reputation (in terms of their "pedigree" but also their subfield rock star status) can be informative as well. -
Reputation Real Talk
1Q84 replied to gradgradgradddddd's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I'm not seeing the big fuss about talking about reputation on the board... it's obviously something that concerns a lot of applicants. We shouldn't just pretend like it doesn't exist or shut it off in the realm of taboo. Not to mention, for the most part, the conversation has been rather civil. Anyway, I think Gustav is on the money here. The importance of a university being "The Place" for your sub-area of focus cannot be overstated, with the UCSC/posthumanism example being a good one. Seems like a good reminder to avoid the single-mindedness, undifferentiated madness of only "making it in the top 10." -
What are you reading?
1Q84 replied to queennight's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
This (aside from Dubliners) was my first real encounter with Modernism and it hit me like a brick in the face. (PS. I can't believe you hate Joyce!) Also, has anyone picked up the new Ishiguro yet? His first in a decade... very exciting! -
Your Favorite English Course (...So Far!)
1Q84 replied to Dr. Old Bill's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
This Marx course is kicking my ass (in a good way). Just worked our way through Grundrisse and now onto Capital... -
Seriously. Let's not confuse the issue here: this is a graduate TA seeking one-on-one social time with a student, not two freshman going out to grab a bite to eat. It's plausible that a TA might take a general social interest in one of their students and that the student might interpret it as such--yet, I don't think a majority of undergraduates are so naive that that would be the first thought that comes to mind when the older man in the position of power exchanges numbers with you and then starts texting you about "starting something up" after the semester is over...
-
inappropriate behavior
-
Nope, to your first question. But you're probably going to get a more straightforward answer from them compared to folks here, especially now that several important dates have come and gone. Good luck!
-
If School A is part of the CGS funding agreement, they shouldn't be pressuring you to accept within the next 15 days. Check here: https://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf
-
This may interest some of the folks who just received offers from Toronto: http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/02/27/u-of-t-teaching-assistants-strike-late-night-deal.html TAs and instructors on strike (despite what the URL suggests) as of last night due to near-poverty level stipends (15k when the official low-income line in Canada is 23k for single workers in large cities).
-
That's amazing! You lucky duck. I kind of hyperventilate every once in a while when I remember that I might possibly have the chance to take one of her classes!
-
Reputation Real Talk
1Q84 replied to gradgradgradddddd's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I'll say this much: this one is definitely true for me! Haven't ever really heard that notion articulated before so thank you to your advisor for that. (Not that I'd even have that much as a stipend, but a yearly salary approaching that would make me happy.) -
Your best bet is to call the DGS or grad admin for an update.
-
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
1Q84 replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Not sure what it is about that place that always inspires those responses... it's amusing! (I say this being one of the NYU rejectees, by the way.) AND CONGRATS! I remember you being very nervous for the interview and that it was one of your top choices. A great way to start (or end) your Friday
