-
Posts
1,327 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
23
Everything posted by 1Q84
-
Thanks for the update I have my fingers crossed!
-
A colleague of mine just emailed UCI English and received a response that they still haven't completed their review process. So strange that they sent out a spate of acceptances and then radio silence for two weeks. Anyone on the board here receive an acceptance? Was it because you got a fellowship that you heard back so early?
-
Moving Across the Country
1Q84 replied to ProfLorax's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Tip for those flying to your destination: jam all of your really heavy stuff (for me it was records and a typewriter) into your carry-on. Some uptight staff might try and weigh your carry-on but mine was small enough that they didn't bother. I was able to get more into my check-in suitcases and still come in under the weight allowance. Also, laptop bags and purses/"murses" typically don't count as carry-ons either, so stuff some heavy items in there too! I got away with bringing a laptop bag and a big chunky murse with me, which essentially equaled another full luggage. I'm pretty sure most airlines charge for the first check-in bag now but I believe there are still one or two out there (names not coming to me at the moment) that give you one for free. -
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Neither do I... -
Reputation Real Talk
1Q84 replied to gradgradgradddddd's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I think there's a difference between the type of debt accrual I'm talking about and the type which you undertook. The advice I'm seeing around here is not based on making that one last shot to get out of a lifetime of manual labor, which, as others have said, is admirable, but is based on really wanting to go to a school. So sorry if I lumped you into that crowd but I wasn't getting any context for your previous comment of "If I get debt, I get debt." Anyway, I'm obviously not one to judge your situation because... who the hell tries to support a family by becoming an English professor? As for privilege, I guess it's not a groundbreaking observation to note that some folks think that having a safety net but not using it means that they're slumming it when it fact it is still insane privilege. hypervodka is right on the money. Not only must you distinguish between good debt and bad debt, you have to realize that debt is only "good" when you have a job that pays enough to pay it down (Thus, it helps you build equity. There are plenty of other ways to do this, by the way, which include using a credit card and paying it off in full every month). No one "admires" a person who leases a kick ass Mercedes if they work a minimum wage job and can't make the payments. That's ridiculous and no one equates that kind of debt with status. The same can be said of educational debt: I don't think any of us can be guaranteed a job that will adequately help us pay down six figures of educational debt. I know all sorts of people who go on credit card or no-money-down spending sprees at Best Buy. Do I admire them? Hell no because obviously I know that they don't have the means to pay it off and are just digging themselves a hole. If a medical student wants to lease a Mercedes, hey, go for it buddy... you've got so much educational debt, a car won't make a difference. And the important thing--they'll have the means to pay it off when they're done schooling. -
I interviewed Nardwuar via phone. It was a very, very intimidating experience (on my end, since he's the king of all interviewers) but he was so sweet and reassuring and answered all my dumb questions unsarcastically and sincerely. Great guy!
-
Reputation Real Talk
1Q84 replied to gradgradgradddddd's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Can someone just explain to me what this "If I accrue debt, oh well!" attitude means? I don't actually understand why it keeps getting thrown around, first by (I'll just come out and say it) privileged folk with a financial support system underwriting their academic career but now, seemingly, by folks who are used to being down and out as well as financially independent. Yes, debt a fact of capitalism. Is it subjugating oneself to make life choices based on avoiding debt? Is that "playing into the system"? Well, if avoiding debt means being able to support my family and not live on food stamps or be evicted, then so be it. I'll avoid debt like the plague. No, it's not worth going to my dream school if it means I'll be relocating my family to a homeless shelter afterwards. Is that selling out? Maybe. Surviving is a real concern, when your nose isn't in a book. I just cannot understand the cavalier attitude towards debt on this board and it's really making me question what the working definition of privilege/unprivileged is around these parts. If this is attitude towards debt is reflective of most people in academia, I'm really not sure what to say. Edit: by the way, I'll be the first to admit that I'm the "debt harpy" around here. If people seeking advice were more straightforward about their financial situation, then I would probably toe the line and say, "you need to make the decision that makes you happy and that you can live with!" because I would make my own judgmental call to withhold my own opinions about debt, knowing that this person could self-fund or have a relative fund them. But how in the world is it EVER a good idea for a poor person to take on several tens of thousands dollars more of debt? Cultural capital? Sorry. Not buying it. -
Reputation Real Talk
1Q84 replied to gradgradgradddddd's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Honestly. I love the supportive and kind atmosphere around here this cycle but I must say, the advice sometimes veers into shielding people from the brutal reality of academia. I've seen this kind of behavior in countless threads and, to be honest, I find it way more harmful to candidates than harsh or trolly behavior. The latter, you'll find anywhere and it can be dealt with easily; when someone is eyeballs deep in debt with little to no income (or they graduate thinking that they have a shot at a TT job at Harvard), they'll think back to the cheerleader advice they got here, and probably realize that their fate was preventable. There needs to be a fine balance between support and realism and I say that out of respect to all advice-seekers and -givers here. Edit: I know this post comes off as quite nihilistic... in the real world, I'm with molloy and kurayamino in that I'd love to change the system. I know cynicism won't help that but neither will blind cheerleading. -
What's MAPH? Either way, congrats!
-
Reputation Real Talk
1Q84 replied to gradgradgradddddd's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Well, that was a joy to read: Ugh. I need some scotch. -
No, but feel free to tell me again
-
wait- disregard
-
Sorry to hear you're going through that. It sounds absoutely Kafkaesque and, I agree, unnecessarily rude. I can't imagine UGA gets sooo many applications that they're too overwhelmed to check your status. Not cool, people.
-
For Future Applicants in Panic
1Q84 replied to pannpann's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I'll throw in a mention of Loyola Marymount University. Private Jesuit university. They offer fully-funded through TAships and scholarships. Sorta kinda "down the street" from UCLA and has had some success placing students at NYU, Stanford (Chicano studies), and has a close relationship with UCI. They are unranked but US News considers them #3 "in the West" whatever that means. They have an impressively strong special collections at the library (lots of great medieval stuff here). Two rockstar scholars (which is pretty good for such a tiny program): Stephen Shepherd (Medievalist, manuscript studies) and Steve Mailloux (theory, rhetoric). Deadline for application: March 15 (but will consider applications afterwards on a rolling basis, space permitting). Any questions, feel free to PM me! -
Campus Visits
1Q84 replied to allplaideverything's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Should I post lyonnessrampant's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious list of questions or should I let her do it? As for your question: I was speaking in private to someone on TGC and they mentioned an anecdote about how a candidate tried to pull the double reimbursement trick with UCLA and USC and (I suppose out of offense and rage at the gall) UCLA rescinded their offer. So I would be very.... VERY careful about that and perhaps just eat the cost if it comes down to it. -
Wow slow weekend eh? Last week of February tomorrow... it's probably going to be a doozy!
-
I agree with everything that has been said thus far. I did want to point to this advice, though: While I agree with the reasoning provided by eyeDK for avoiding administration, I thought I'd play devil's advocate and provide a reason why you might want to make that contact: if this issue does escalate further (Dean, media, external (legal) authorities), you'll want written proof that you made reasonable efforts to resolve the conflict through school administration. This is really, really, really important. It will provide due cause for you to have escalated the matter. After your attempts fail, the onus then falls on your advisor and the administration for being unreasonable, discriminating, blocking your dissertation, etc. and you seem like the victim. All that being said, I think your best bet is to avoid escalating the situation. To that end, Eigen's advice is soundest and you should work to resolve any misunderstandings at the advisor-level first before you push the issue further.
-
Not sure why you were downvoted but I have no idea as to the relative draw or not of English programs for international students (saying this as an international student myself). The only thing I can imagine is that an English doctorate is much less transferable/useful for overseas students than one in the sciences, let's say, which might explain why those programs are jampacked with internationals.
-
Count me in as a UT hopeful!
-
Indeed, the point has been made clear so perhaps I'm misunderstanding what your advice actually is; to me, it seemed to amount to something like "chase your dream and be comfortable with it." Your unfunded MA situation seems too different from his to offer any reasonable comparison (and I would not be as vigorously opposed to it if he had presented an offer such as the one you took). If OP is comfortable taking on the debt (because of parental safety nets, etc.) then so be it. It seems, however, that OP is only okay taking on the debt because he has lower-than-average undergrad debt. That, to be honest, doesn't seem like a very sensible reason to take on more, as others have said. As well, the concern about being perceived differently (as a cash-cow or as less deserving of attention because of nonfunded status) is real, too. Many times over it's been stated on TGC that MA students at schools that have Ph.D. programs get short shrift. It's also been said that adcomm members are wary of unfunded MAs from prestigious schools because of this very reputation of being a "pay to play" student. I'm not saying that's fair, but it's a condition that exists. In the end, I'll just say I'm not really understanding what the arguments for accepting this offer are so I'll just bow out here.
-
With all due respect, I'd like to push back on this type of advice. I don't think anyone in the thread is disallowing OP from celebrating the acceptance. Indeed, it's a great achievement. But the "chase your dream because debt deferral" method of thinking about higher education is just... irresponsible. This isn't a pittance of debt we're talking about here, it's approaching six figures (at least when you start factoring in living expenses in one of the most expensive cities in America). Six figures for an MA with miserable chances of getting a job decent enough to pay it off afterwards. Granted, I don't know anything about OP's financial situation or support from family--I could be way off base here but from the information we've been given, this is not a moment where we should be mindlessly cheering the "academic dream." Please don't get me wrong, drownsoda, I'm not trying to dump on Fordham or you. But it pains me to see this: as a rationale for taking on $60,000 of debt.
-
Good to hear! TGC is a wonderfully supportive (and enlightening) place, especially when we compare our life trajectory to those of others. That being said, as someone who has dealt with recurrent histories of depression in my immediate family, I would encourage you (not condescendingly or paternally but gently) to consider the assistance of professionals as you continue your journey. As I think we can all attest, life throws many setbacks our way and can send us on a real rollercoaster of triumphs and miseries. It's not a bad idea to have a professional at your back to be an ear or to help bolster coping mechanisms. Best of luck moving forward!
