Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. Anonymous LORs without institutional identifiers (though probably impossible to implement) would make an entire world of difference.
  2. Ah, for those of us sitting on the reject pile today:
  3. Wow exciting! Congrats Must be nice to be able to celebrate so early... and on a Friday too!
  4. Same. Love the delayed release punch in the face. You're right... a simple extra line in the rejection letter would help immensely. I'll be honest: I barely ever read rejection letters. The whole thing hurts too much.
  5. I don't know, like you said, the number of applicants makes it impossible to provide feedback. I'm sure if you requested feedback on your app individually, the adcomm would try to respond. I look at it in the same way with my students: it's unreasonable to expect me to leave detailed feedback on every student's 20 page paper that I grade and surely 90% of them would just chuck the essay without reading the notes regardless of how detailed or insightful they were. So I always announce to the class that I'm more than happy to provide mounds of feedback and suggestions for improvement one-on-one during office hours. I feel that type of interaction is more helpful than form-feedback anyway.
  6. Mine's still not... guess they have a lot coming through the pipeline...
  7. Stanford sent a "results are out" email and told me to check my page....... but it hasn't been updated from "submitted". Thanks for making a rejection even more difficult, guys
  8. Please do keep this appointment (I'm assuming this is a school counselor?) and make one with a psychiatrist or therapist as well. I'm hoping your campus has such resources or at least can point you to somewhere in the community with the necessary resources. Your frustrations are not without foundation but I'm sure the combined efforts of an academic counselor and a therapist can help you through this rough period and get you back on the right track with medications and an academic plan. Please call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) if you're feeling low or desperate over the weekend. I'm also in LA so feel free to PM me over the weekend if you need an ear.
  9. Oh lord the first Stanford admit is posted. Here we go rollercoaster of emotions...
  10. Yes, I've heard the same from my profs. One said explicitly, "Whatever you do, do not concentrate on theory only," with an explanation similar to yours. On the other hand, I think it would be wise to seek out faculty who are strong in theory/cultural studies if that's where you see your focus shifting.
  11. OMG congrats hreaưemus, margeryhemp, and universitydays!!! (Drinks are on you guys, right? )
  12. This has actually been the longest month of my life.

    1. TeaOverCoffee

      TeaOverCoffee

      You're telling me. And it's not over yet. Dun dun dun.

    2. AuntyOwl

      AuntyOwl

      Agree. How ironic is that given that February is, in reality, the shortest month on the calendar? Hang in there. It will be over soon. Good luck.

    3. smg

      smg

      This has been the longest week of my life. I think next week may be longer.

  13. $60k for a humanities MA? Please god no.
  14. Have there really been no additional offers of acceptance or wait list for UCI English? So strange.
  15. I always thought doing graduate work at Chapterhouse would be amazing. Imagine having a Reverend Mother as your adviser! Well, US News' rankings list is from 2013, if that helps.
  16. Short answer: you have violated your ethical responsibilities. Long answer: you have violated your ethical responsibilities--but you can put the brakes on it now and salvage whatever professionalism you can until after the class is done and you two no longer have any professional relationship besides being students at the same school. If I were you, I would not bring this to your professor. I would simply follow up in a text (read: in writing somewhere; start creating a paper trail in your favor) that considering the professional relationship you two are in as TA--Student, you think it would be best to put a stop to any and all romantic interactions. This, hopefully, should put you in the clear to assess her work again.
  17. Had the most vivid dream that my online app for UCI changed to accepted. Sigh...

  18. No worries. I get what you were trying to say to begin with, though. We certainly have it a lot better than dishwashers... I think what's most interesting (and insidious) is how capital(ism) does such a good job of convincing us that this is true. Argh want to upvote so hard...
  19. Rejection from Johns Hopkins Neuroscience: "Fuck this." Stay classy, neuroscience folks, stay classy.
  20. To your original point about undergrad rep dragging you down, I've read quite a few times that a disastrous GPA can be offset by LOR explanations (especially if it's the prof who taught the class that you bombed). If you can integrate the explanation organically in your SOP, it can help mitigate it as a hindering factor as well. Not saying you didn't do this, but it certainly has helped others in the past overcome seemingly insurmountable undergrad records. As for this, I don't know I'd go that far. Just because tenure-track appointments are insanely amazing in terms of stability and pay doesn't mean that the 90% of us being, for all intents and purposes, barred from those jobs don't have the right to complain. In fact, I think what we as aspiring professionals really should be doing a lot more complaining, and, ideally, acting on this issue.
  21. I know this is a dumb question because I'm in the comp lit thread but I just want to confirm this is a comp lit wait list, not an English one since I think those have yet to drop.
  22. I was originally going to apply there and I remembered some really nasty responses I received from POI a year ago and decided not to. Not to take away from anyone accepted there but I'm glad I cut them from my app list last minute.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use