Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. Naturally wake up at 6am. Might as well get up to check if results came out: Nothing. Back to bed: Try to fall back asleep again but can't now because of results-related anxiety:
  2. Well, I got the one acceptance I was asking for but I probably can't go because their funding is too tight :( ... Fate is cruel!

    1. Show previous comments  4 more
    2. 1Q84

      1Q84

      Might make sense for a science degree, quantum... not so much for a humanities degree ;)

    3. smg

      smg

      Total bummer...I worry I am in the same position.

    4. 1Q84

      1Q84

      Ack! Hope it works out for both of us smg. It's still pretty early during notification season... departmental matters and budgets may shift by April, perhaps?

  3. Are you serious? That's like calling Trump Intl. a nonprofit organization. This is actually the most outrageous thing I've heard all week.
  4. Oh yeah I remember seeing this and it making my head spin. Definitely reminded of how numbers hate me and vice versa. I will say that it's interesting how different it is from the unsubtle US News!
  5. What sites are there available for investigating rankings of English graduate programs? I noticed with envy the "Gourmet report" that the philosophy students have and realized how utterly little our field seems to discuss this topic. From what I see, no resources exist aside from the pretty much useless US News rankings.
  6. Gotta say, I'm enjoying the super bitter, name-calling rejection posts on the results board. I'm not enjoying them in a malicious way but it's somehow amusing to me to see how vicious people get when they get rejected. I mean, if you really thought that way about the program, why did you apply in the first place?
  7. Whoa weird, I'm into the same critical methodologies except my foundation is early modern English. Seems like a lot of us are in that growing field. I do really want to nurture and explore my modern (American?) cultural studies interests too. Still trying to figure that out at the moment.
  8. Pouring one out for my fellow Columbia rejects: Edit: Okay... this is my 700th post. Maybe it's time to do some work.
  9. Got my official Columbia rejection. Le sigh.
  10. Got the invite from Tina via email today Thanks.
  11. Lots of Brown admits. Congrats to all!
  12. Have been inexplicably out of upvotes for 24 hours so I'll just have to comment it: you're amazing. That makes me feel a little better. But wow, what I would give to be able to finish 500+ pages in a day!
  13. Seeing as the UC's seem to be pulling new tricks for sending out acceptances (Sunday evenings, leaving several days between groups of acceptances) I wouldn't feel bad about Irvine yet! Spending some time with some good emo music helps! Tom Waits and Nick Cave have carried me through some rougher patches these past few weeks.
  14. Congratulations!! Did you receive an email or call?
  15. Wow, you're on a hot streak! Congrats
  16. Ah that's where I recognized the name from. I haven't but it definitely sounds like it's worth reading now that you describe it. Would love to have that epithet on my tombstone (1Q84 - Fop To Be Reckoned With). As an aside, I'm curious about everyone's reading speeds here. I feel sometimes that I crawl when I read novels (Victorian ones, in particular) and I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. I can usually do 40-50 pages an hour.. (that's a complete guess)? Critical writing is a whole other bag, though.
  17. I didn't hear about an open house :/ Am I dis-invited because I live so close by?
  18. Thank you again, everyone I'll add to this, though I'm speaking from the perspective of a fully-funded MA: after I received my acceptances, I went to speak to each DGS in person. When I mentioned to the DGS of University B that I had just visited University A's campus, she went into "business mode" and threw in $5000 on top of the initial offer. So I'd definitely say it's worth mentioning.
  19. Thanks, everyone! I guess it's a good lesson on "it ain't over til it's over." In my rush to post, I forgot to mention it's a "provisional acceptance" because I'm an international student and still need to prove funds in excess of the Fellowship funds itself. Damn, it's expensive being international.
  20. Omg. Totally in shock. Got my first acceptance from UCR with Dean's Distinguished Fellowship. I'm so relieved I'm shaking. I thought all the acceptances had gone out over the weekend. I hope others get their email today or soon too!
  21. Please Academia, just one acceptance. That's all I ask in order to continue my work.

    1. t1racyjacks

      t1racyjacks

      hang in there *hugs*

    2. smg

      smg

      Dont give up yet. It just takes one. Stay Positive.

  22. Same. But either way, let's enjoy a Sunday's repose and be conscious to leave behind our anxiety for a day. To that end, I'm just now about to step out to watch a screening of this year's Oscar nominated live action shorts in theatre as a welcome distraction. Hope you can do the same!
  23. Wow looks like comp lit acceptances are starting to trickle in... Congrats to admits to Yale and UCSB!
  24. February is starting to feel like
  25. Good luck to you two! I remember seeing in the results board that one year or other they didn't take anyone from the wait list so I think UCLA sometimes gets all their "first choices." If anyone has experience with wait lists, how does it work? If/when someone gives up their acceptance, does a wait list applicant's status change on the website? Do you get an email informing you you're being offered a spot? Do you get a call from the DGS? Feeling very anxious (even though it's still way too early to be anticipating any of that, I'm sure).
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use